GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day all,
I'm planning on ordering a new rear shock c/w new preload adjuster line.
My question is this.
Is it just a matter of removing the preload adjuster from the old shock and installing on new and bleeding the fluid, or am I missing something?
Help is always appreciated.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am not quite sure what you are replacing what do you mean by c/w are you replacing the rear shock and the line and the preload adjuster or just some of it, I have done several and can advise you, feel free to send an email

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howiee,

c/w= complete with.

I am purchasing the complete shock and line I'm going to keep the preload adjuster I have and swap that out myself.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Are you getting an aftermarket unit?

Someone told me it just takes a bit of patience to bleed the air out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i'm getting an after market unit.
Haven't decided which one yet though.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Basically, yes. You need a spring compressor, and there's a process, but that about covers it.
Take the adjustor off the old shock, wind the pump all the way down, make SURE it's bottomed, fill it with oil (we use 10 wt fork oil) attach the line, attach line to the adjustor, fill the adjustor with oil, press the piston down til it bottoms while leaving the banjo bolt on the pump loose enough to bleed from there.
Make sure you have the connectors clocked correctly before you button it up.
Test it before you bolt it back in. If you've done it right, it will start working right from zero.

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dandy Dave,
What is the spring compressor needed for?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The shock has a spring on it. This is acted on by the preload mechanism. The preload thingy is held onto the top of the shock by a clip. you need to compress the spring to get to the clip to remove everything. You also need to compress the assembly to put the clip back on.
Ummm... Do you have a manual? If not, you should get one before you start this. It has excellent instructions, and lists all the torque values. Fred's videos are a huge help, too. But there is no substitute for the manual.

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have both a manual and Fred's dvds, in fact I watched the dvd pertaining to the shock removal this weekend and did not see where a spring compressor was used unless I missed that part.
The shock I intend on getting is probably going to be the Traxxion. It comes with the spring and hose already installed I believe.
Is it not just a matter of me removing the actuator motor from the old shock and putting it on the new one then bleeding the system?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Dennis, a new shock comes with the shock and spring. Your preload adjustor has 2 parts, connected by a hose. You keep both of those. You have to compress the spring to get the actuator off the old shock, and to put it on the new one.
Traxxion is a good choice. I like mine.

=Dave=

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for clearing that up for me Dandy Dave.
I guess my other option would be to pull the shock send it in to Traxxion and have them do it.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
thanks for clearing that up for me Dandy Dave.
I guess my other option would be to pull the shock send it in to Traxxion and have them do it.
Thanks again.
De nada..

You could pull the shock and have a local independent guy do it, or you could buy or borrow the tool. It's not that expensive.. $60 USD.
http://www.traxxion.com/ShockSpringCompressor.aspx
Here's a thread I found in a couple of minutes on Google that lists some indies around Ontario.. might help.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/120018.html
If you do buy a tool, make sure it is for a Goldwing shock. The actuator requires a different thingie to press it down, and it's probably different than most.
I tend to pay someone to do work that requires the purchase of a specialty one-time-use tool. The money I would have spent for the tool helps defray the cost of having someone else do it, and it becomes less hassle.
Or you could send it to a closer Traxxion installer if you wanted. Well, as I look at the dealer map, there isn't anyone I would consider "close" to you. :shrug:
http://www.traxxion.com/dealers.aspx

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
You could also just buy the complete assembly with pre-load adjuster from Traxxion. Then all you have to do is R&R the complete assembly. That is what I did and it does not require a spring compressor. But my adjuster had an internal leak and needed to be repaired or replaced anyway.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
You could also just buy the complete assembly with pre-load adjuster from Traxxion. Then all you have to do is R&R the complete assembly. That is what I did and it does not require a spring compressor. But my adjuster had an internal leak and needed to be repaired or replaced anyway.

Good idea..

=Dave=

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The closest Traxxion shop to me is 6 hours away so taking it there is not an option to save any kinda money. I think I'll just ship the darn thing to Traxxion and let them take care of it. I have to get fork springs, All Balls and whatever else I need to redo the front end so I'll get it straight from them.

Thank you guys for your input.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts