GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I would like to change out my rear shock ...where can I get a good deal? Are they removed for trikes
Thank everyone
Paddy

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Hi
I would like to change out my rear shock ...where can I get a good deal? Are they removed for trikes
Thank everyone
Paddy
Check with some trike conversion shops in your area for the best prices. You'll want one from a 2012 or newer Wing to get the improved performance. They have gotten very high-priced on Ebay because sellers (and buyers) have discovered their desirability and caused the prices to increase. They use to be reasonable, but not now.

Try forum member UNCLEJOHN. He sometimes has some for sale.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Rear shock

On my 05 GL1800 with 97,000 miles I had the same interest. Researched Progressive and Traxxion. Did not want to spend the money on Traxxion and could not find a local dealer for Progressive. I discussed my issue with my local mechanic at the Honda dealer. He had a complete rear shock & spring off an 08 GL1800 with less than 10,000 miles he would let me have for $100 and $200 to install. I'm very happy with the results.

Dan

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Hi
Thank everyone
Paddy
Best bet really is a local trike shop. About anywhere online the price will be $200.00 -300.00. Too much, I believe. I can afford any amount, but I won't allow myself to be ripped off. If you keep checking you can sometimes pick one for ~$150.00. If you are willing to pay the big bucks go to Ebay at about any time or ask on this board, but beware the word is out... You gonna pay! (I checked Ebay everyday for about a month all hours of the day. Jumped on a 2012 for $150.00 right after it was listed. That's how you gotta do it).

·
Registered
2,103 Posts

·
Registered
5,260 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
It has been on Craigslist for two months. No contact info listed. If anybody is interested, It is the trike dealer in downtown Jeffersonville In.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Hi
Thank everyone
Paddy
they will cost you 75 to 300 a much more wanted item right now. Make sure they a least give you the shock and spring
try Tonys trikes in Alabama

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes! you have to Check with some trike conversion shops in your area for the best prices.Surely you will get best price:thumbup:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Fred
I have had your DVD's since I bought my bike. You have saved me some serious money.
I hope someday I will get to meet you
About the shock...May I buy it and you ship it to me?
Thanks
Paddy

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Maybe worth the trip

A ride from Newfoundland to Fred's place would likely be a great trip; ride there on the old rear shock absorber and ride back on the new one. The opportunity to meet Fred and pick his brain would be a bonus.

The only down side, and it is temporary, is the currently cold weather forecast for the next week or so. We had 67 degrees here today, but the forecast calls for snow next Tuesday. :shock:

·
Registered
989 Posts
Wow! they have gotten expensive. I paid $60 bucks for a take off w/ only 320 miles on it. Replaced stock spring
w/ a Progressive and topped it off and made a heck of a difference on the ride. That was 2 years ago....

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Finding a $100 trike take-off rear shock is like finding a unicorn now that everyone knows the 2012 and newer shocks are better than the previous models. I think the going rate for an entire unit is $250-350 for a 2012 and newer. I bought a 2014 for $250 minus the sensor for preload position. The older shocks are less desirable and what are the odds that there would be a "new" take off 2010 or older available now? It's still much cheaper than a new Honda or aftermarket shock.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Finding a $100 trike take-off rear shock is like finding a unicorn now that everyone knows the 2012 and newer shocks are better than the previous models. I think the going rate for an entire unit is $250-350 for a 2012 and newer. I bought a 2014 for $250 minus the sensor for preload position. The older shocks are less desirable and what are the odds that there would be a "new" take off 2010 or older available now? It's still much cheaper than a new Honda or aftermarket shock.
Shortly after installing a new shock (not 2012+) the info about the 2012 being a better shock came out. That is how I began to look for one and finally landed one. Now that I have it, it is like the cobbler's kids going without shoes. :shock:

·
Registered
924 Posts
it was a traxxion...I bought it.....shipped it to goldwinggreg......I will add that to my bike with some front end stuff before I pick it up for my trip home......the well gets deeper.....sure hope it's worth it.....traxxion here I come.....one part at a time...jer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts