GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've heard that Traxxion has a way of removing the rear shock, without removing the gas tank. It takes 2 people, I'm not sure of the technique.
Maybe somebody who has had this done can tell you more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
UNDERDOG said:
Can you install the rear shock from underneath without having to remove the gas tank? Ride safe
Yes. The fuel cell needs to be elevated approx. 3/4" to expose the top shock mount bolt. We loosen the two bolts securing the tank and top shelter to the frame and slip a door stop wedge in there to hold the tank up. The dog bones and relay arm need to also be removed allowing the shock to be lowered out the bottom.

The job doesn't take two people but with 4 hands working on it, the work goes much quicker.

·
Registered
766 Posts
And what do you do with the preload adjuster? Will it fit through that 3/4 inch opening or do you disconnect the shock from the hose?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brian in Abilene said:
And what do you do with the preload adjuster? Will it fit through that 3/4 inch opening or do you disconnect the shock from the hose?
For expediency here at the shop, we disconnect the hydraulic hose at the servo motor. NOTE: Make sure paper towels or a rag are available to minimize a mess. Also, Honda assembly line folks always route a fuel line in such a way that you must either disconnect the fuel line or disconnect the hydraulic line from the shock to the servo motor. You must do one or the other in order to remove the shock.

There are a couple of tricks on reinstallation but they only involve swingarm position to allow enough space between the lower side of the fuel tank and the upper flat surface of the swingarm. When you don't have enough space in that area, the servo motor for the preload adjuster will not fit through.

·
Registered
381 Posts
did my rear shock and tried the traxxion method to no avali. its really no too hard to remove the fuel cell just beware when you dissconnect the fuel lines you will have to find something to plug the lines and the top of the pump. plugging is only needed if you have a load of fuel in the tank.

Nigel

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,127 Posts
I would rather just remove the fuel tank. It's really doesn't take much time and it's not a hard job, besides it gives you a chance to make sure the coolant hoses are tight and not leaking and you can add another ground wire from the battery ground to the main ground like Fred recommends, as well just having some fun taking the bike apart :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts