GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please send me to a link that explains how to get inside the rear speaker enclosures. I can not figure it out.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Bill - this is one of many times that you really should have in your possession the Goldwing Service Manual. It will help for situations just like this and much much more.

You will need to remove all the screws the hold up the upper trunk liner to access some of the screws that hold the speaker pods in place. You will also note that there are several screws that are on the underside of the speaker pods themselves too. While not an extremely difficult task, it does take a little time, and you need to be very careful to not loose any of the screws down in the bike itself. Also pay particular attention to which screws came from which places as there will be different sizes involved too.

Go buy the manual though and use that as a guide and you will be much much happier with all your maintenance and parts removal tasks.

DaleC

·
Registered
762 Posts
Bill, Dale has some good advice. Actually, you can't get inside the rear speaker enclosures (ie, between the mount and the grill), unlike the front speakers. The rear grills are not removable. If you're mounting a speaker, the screws pass through the speaker flange and into the nuts already present (if I remember correctly). The speaker "hangs" from the mount. Not a good description, but the best I can come up with right now.

Hope this helps,
Arthur
'03 candy orange
VA3BIT

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just need to mount a switch

Thanks Dale and Art. I really only need to get to the lower part of the rear speaker enclosure to drill a hole and mount a switch. Does this make it easier?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i did mine a little while ago, basicaly the entire back end seemed to come off. it couldnt be much more of a hassle just to get those speaker holders off.

maybe look for a different place for the switch, i would.

loren

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
<Does this make it easier?>

Not if you want to secure it by reaching it from the inside. It's just a rather involved process that involves lots of screws and bolts, so it's a nice job to have behind you. Other tasks are more "fun".

DaleC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts