GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying I'm not very mechanically inclined, so what seems easy to you might not be to me.
I'm preparing to install rear speakers in the bike, and just got them a few days ago. The instructions say I need to remove the seat, side covers, etc. Since they go into the trunk lid, is that necessary? It's been my understanding that the wiring harness for the speakers is right there, once you get everything apart. If so, removing the seat wouldn't be necessary, would it?
I'd rather not take anything apart I don't need to, because things never seem to look the same afterwards.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rear Speaker Installation

For my 05, I removed the seat and the install access was thru the trunk. Wiring coupler is below the seat so don't know how you could wire up without the seat off. Seat removal is simple. Just remove grab handles and pull back and up on whole seat assembly from passenger seat. Not sure if your yr is same though.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, the seat has to come off to get to the wiring harness! That makes sense. I obviously haven't taken it apart yet, but was expecting the wires to be visible once I got the trunk lid disassembled.
Thanks.

·
Chard Member
13,222 Posts
Silverback said:
So, the seat has to come off to get to the wiring harness! That makes sense. I obviously haven't taken it apart yet, but was expecting the wires to be visible once I got the trunk lid disassembled.
Thanks.
No rear speaker harness on the bike. You have to install it. It plugs in under the seat behind the bank of relays. You will then need to route it back to the speaker pods.

FYI.... Be careful when you reinstall the screws back into the lid liner. You will have some long ones that only go in one place. If you put them in the wrong hole you will have dimples in your paint job. Not Good! :( You also don't need to remove the trunk lid to install rear speakers.

Maybe you really didn't want rear speakers that bad after all! LOL...

Good Luck......

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Taking the seat off is real easy. Two bolts in each handle and your good to go. You will have to purchase a harness or make your own. You can get one from EC. By removing the seat it will be easyier for you to get at the wires you connect to etc. You also have to remove the trunk inner liner....about a gazilion screws. The face of the speaker pod DOES NOT come off. You must remove the screw from the bottom side for them to come off. The longer screws red speaks off are the ones that are hidden by the inner liner up by the backrest. It's going to take you sometime, so don't be in a rush. It's not a hard job, just time consuming. Good Luck....... :) ..

www.electricalconnection.com .....link for harness

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'm encouraged. I had to take the trunk liner out when I installed the spoiler, and to do that I had to remove the trunk rack, so I'm aware of how many screws there are. I'll take a shot at this project after work tomorrow.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got around to the project, and here's a little tip to anyone else contemplating this: everything goes well and goes back together nicely unless the nuts fall off the inside of the speaker boxes when you're reattaching the trunk lid to the hinges. I had two fall off and drop down inside the speaker box, so I had to back track and take the speaker boxes apart again to fish them out. Then, I used contact cement to reattach them to the inside of the speaker boxes so I could finish reassembly.
The difference in sound is remarkable, compared to only having front speakers. I also notice that it's considerably more audible than the headsets were, so I have the option of listening to the stereo through the speakers on the freeway. That wasn't the case before.
It was a hassle while I was doing it, but it's definitely worth it.

·
Chard Member
13,222 Posts
Silverback said:
I finally got around to the project, and here's a little tip to anyone else contemplating this: everything goes well and goes back together nicely unless the nuts fall off the inside of the speaker boxes when you're reattaching the trunk lid to the hinges.
FYI.... You wasted your time removing the lid. Not needed! :(

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Hey I'm glad you got her done ! Using the speakers while on the road is the ony way I listen to music. I use the headsets for the GPS and conversation with my bride. Don't forget to check the speaker wire's every once and awhile to make sure they don't get pinched. They will eventually find there own bending point........ :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FYI.... You wasted your time removing the lid. Not needed!
The instructions said I was supposed to, so I did. Later, I didn't see why it was necessary, and it added a lot of time, since I had to remove the rack as well. It did give me the opportunity to see how my XM radio antenna was attached, since I had it installed professionally and hadn't looked at that part of the installation.
Oh, well. It was worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts