GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me with rear speaker installation information? I don't yet have a service manual and don't know where anything is. I don't know how to get into the rear speaker housings. In short, I don't know anything, so any information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Here's a look at the pod. You can easily find the two screws just above the rear pocket under the pod. The ones in the trunk lid are tricky. One you can remove but for the other, you must remove the inner trunk lid to access the final screw. Those four will liberate the pod for speaker installation. The speaker wire plug is located under the seat in a boot near the rear. It's black 4 pin and has the colors for the wires shown.

Forgot to mention: DO NOT MIX THE POD SCREWS WITH YOUR INNER TRUNK SCREWS. They are longer and if you put one in the wrong place, it will pop it's way through your trunk lid. $450!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
:agree:Waldo is right...it's also a PITA take your time!

Mark

·
Registered
19,069 Posts
do not use locktite on any of the screws

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can anyone help me with rear speaker installation information? I don't yet have a service manual and don't know where anything is. I don't know how to get into the rear speaker housings. In short, I don't know anything, so any information would be appreciated.
It's a lot of screws you have to unscrew ...
Open rear trunk, look in the upper part and getoff the screws (note, they have different lengths), also get of the screws in the speaker pods (I think you have to unscrew 18 screws), get of your saddle, to connect te rear speaker cable, and you're have a pricture what to do...
PS, get the right speakers, I once tried to fit pre 2006 speakers on my 2006 (EU) Gl1800, they won't fit ...

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Just a note: When posting "what fits" it would help to include your year. I knew you had an '05 by looking at your profile, but shouldn't have had to do that.

You can look at my AudioFile here for more info (at the end of the page are links to speakers that fit an '05 front and rear).

Note to Stan: I "borrowed" your pic of the hapless screws since they show up much better on an Orange than a Black. I will use my own bandwidth and credit you with the pic. Below is the sample. It's hosted on my website.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I put speakers in the rear a while back. I bought a wiring harness for the job at EC. Good stuff and good service!

However, be sure and keep and eye on the wire that you route along the port trunk hinge. Mine started to show signs of kinking after a while. I ended up wrapping it with black electrical tape where it was kinking and I secured the end of the tape job with a tiny zip tie.

Over 40,000 miles later, so far, so good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts