GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a biggie, but I'm curious. Looking at the rear speakers when it was raining, it was obvious that water was going through the mesh housing. But I don't see any way for it to drain. Does it just build up in front of the speaker itself, or is there a drain that's cleverly routed so that it can't be seen? Oh, I'm talking about a 2012 GL1800.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Not a biggie, but I'm curious. Looking at the rear speakers when it was raining, it was obvious that water was going through the mesh housing. But I don't see any way for it to drain. Does it just build up in front of the speaker itself, or is there a drain that's cleverly routed so that it can't be seen? Oh, I'm talking about a 2012 GL1800.
I believe it just drains back out through the mesh.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I don't know where it goes but it does go away without getting in the trunk or anything. I have many thousands of miles of riding in the rain with no problem. Only problem I ever had was blowing out the speakers by playing my music too loud. Now I just use the headsets most of the time. Don't worry, be happy!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
There are wheep holes in the out back corner of the rear passenger pockets and from what i can tell the speaker box doesn't have a wate tight seal. I suspect if you really hosed them any build up would sneak down the inside rear edge and out the pockets and drip out through the trip above the saddle bags. I'm surely going to look after the next down pour I have to ride through; usually everything except me is so wet that I never think about it as long as the speakers work I'm good with it. I thought of wrapping the speaker face with saran wrap to give them some protection but they are foam cones so I changed my mind. Been in heavy rain many times and no issues; somebody thought about it or maybe just not that much water penetrates.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Dang! That's actually a very good question :thumbup: Hmmmmmmmmm where does that water go? :snow1::snow1::snow1:
Never gave it a single "thought" untill now! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Dang! That's actually a very good question :thumbup: Hmmmmmmmmm where does that water go? :snow1::snow1::snow1:
Never gave it a single "thought" untill now! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ronnie
I am sure mine drains to my seat!? :shock: It never fails when it rains....my crotch gets wet! :22yikes:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I may have answered my own question by looking a little closer with a flashlight. If you open the trunk you can see a small hole in the back of the speaker housing just inside the raised lip. Any water dripping from that little hole would drop into a slot just outside the passenger storage pocket, and down into unknown regions that probably lead out into the rear wheel area somewhere. The hole in the passenger pocket would drain into the same place. I guess I should have looked more closely before posting the question.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am sure mine drains to my seat!? :shock: It never fails when it rains....my crotch gets wet! :22yikes:
Are you absolutely sure the "wet" is coming from the outside?? :twisted:

·
Registered
308 Posts
ha ha

a wet seat is not fun,,lol, got caught in the rain the other day, i was like ten miles from home and boy i was completely wet, specially in the butt part.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Are you absolutely sure the "wet" is coming from the outside?? :twisted:
LOL...yes...Depends were still dry :shock:

a wet seat is not fun,,lol, got caught in the rain the other day, i was like ten miles from home and boy i was completely wet, specially in the butt part.
It rained here 3 days...first 2 days was heavy rain...My gear held up really go except i had a small spot on my butt! I think it was from my back pocket being unzipped! :22yikes: Did not know I had a back pocket until then. :shock: 40* rain entering the backdoor was an interesting feeling at 7:00 in the morning!! ( Maybe next time i will put my rain gear on.)

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
There are actually 4 weep holes in the bottom of the speaker pods. A lot of water directly hits those rear speakers when riding in the rain. That is why I like the Polk waterproof speakers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts