GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone rear speakers stop working. they went out one at a time. now I have nothing in the rear, but fronts work fine.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Did anyone rear speakers stop working. they went out one at a time. now I have nothing in the rear, but fronts work fine.
Yes ... every 5th gen I've had rear speakers go out.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Your problem is most likely to be broken wires where the harness bends at the trunk hinges. I believe the speaker wires run up the left side hinge. You can either replace that harness or cut it open and repair the wires. Either way, you might consider re-routing the harness away from the hinges so it doesn’t have to bend as sharp when the trunk closes.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Had this exact problem on my '10. Opened up that harness and found several wires cut right where they bend. Soldered and heat shrunk extra wire and re-routed them. Now all is good, Good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
640 Posts
speaker wires

Can you post a picture on how you re routed them?
Wish I knew how to post pic. But what I did was to add about 3-4 in of wire and after solder and heat shrink zip tied them together and routed them to the right of the hinge so as not to be bending so sharp anymore. Hope this helps.
Tony

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
To re-route the harnesses, Simply bend away the brackets that are holding them, remove rubber grommets from harnesses, Move harnesses toward center of trunk. let them fall either right or left or both to center, they will fall down behind the trunk, in front of cushion.

Takes longer to type this than to do it. If you want you can strip harness casing off and make a tight wrap with electrical tape , but not really necessary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Likely where wires loop around near rear trunk lid....they bend and move and sometimes get caught and cut
Locate...solder in new wires.with wire loom to protect and route so as not to get cut
Worked for me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts