GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new so be gentle. Just purchased an '04 which does not have rear speakers. I see some on E-bay from $39 to oem for $122. I'm already wondering about an amp at highway speeds. I see some speakers are 15 watts, some 30 watts all the way up to 100 watts. I'm not sure of oem wattage, or if there is any sense in buying 100 watt speaker unless I have an amp. What's a good speaker for the money and where do I get them?. Does any of you run an amp? type, wattage, where do you mount it?
Thanks, Buffy

·
Chard Member
12,965 Posts
Welcome.....

In my opinion anything you want to stick in the back is fine if you're not using a amp. You can't hear them at speed anyway. :(

01-05 really needs a amp. I didn't realize how bad the system was until I heard 18's with a amp and the 06's with the 80w factory amp.

Here's a link for some more info:
http://www.rattlebars.com/chetswing/audiofile.html

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I upgraded my fronts to 5 1/2" 2ways and threw the old fronts in the rear. Worked out great.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I went from no speakers in the rear to 5 1/4" Sony Explodes. They compliment the system quite well. They can be had at Wal-Mart or Best Buy ect. Don't think I paid more than $50. Takes a little modifying but they will fit.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
rear speakers

The answer is simple, do NOT buy JUNK!! i.e Wally Mart.
J & M make the perfect upgrade: 3 ohm 100 watt rating.
They fit perfectly, furthermore are specifically designed to compliment your GL1800's factory sound system
Even better replace your front speakers with the same J & M upgrade.
You will NOT be disappointed

·
Registered
705 Posts
J & M make the perfect upgrade: 3 ohm 100 watt rating.
They fit perfectly, furthermore are specifically designed to compliment your GL1800's factory sound system
Even better replace your front speakers with the same J & M upgrade.
You will NOT be disappointed
The above is the Best recommendation as far as I am concerned. I've had 3 different sets of speakers on the bike.

The key is the 3ohm which is tuned to the Gl1800 system. Only about $69.00 a set. Most of the other replacements that people putting in are
4 Ohm speakers need more power to drive a 4 Ohm than a 3 Ohm. The 2001-2005 system is 35 Watts with 3 Ohm Speakers

I hear my speakers at all speeds at least on my MP3 player. I have all the tunes sound edited. The AM/FM is a different story.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts