GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have removed the rear shock and have all the parts to do the suspension upgrades. However, :shock: I did not purchase the spring removal tool becasue I thought I could use a standard spring compression tool used to do the struts on cars. :?: I was wondering if any of you have tried this method? :oops: It seems like you could do it realatively easy utlilizing this method. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :wink:

Thanks in advance!

·
Vendor
21,950 Posts
Spring removal

Just don't compress the spring any more than you have to. You can damage the spring if you compress it too much. All you need to do is compress it enough to remove the clip on the top of the pre-load adjuster. Also, make sure you loosen the allen screw on top of the pre-load aduster and mark the spot where it was on the shock body. The adjuster has to be in the same place when you put it back together so that the hydrallic line is routed properly on the bike when installed.

The Progressive tool has all the instructions you need for doing the removal and is worth the money in my opinion. I would rather spend money on tools than chrome anyday.

R

·
0 Posts
spring

Not to say anything about the stay in the hospital when that spring flys off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did mine with an external spring compressor. Unscrewed the bracket off the bottom of shock. Put the Progressive on the opposite of how the OE came off. Rear does not sit down on turns, and camber steer is gone. The only down side is the National Park Ranger running radar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts