GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

What number appears before your rear spring compresses?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 6 or more

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the article Stu Oltman wrote for Wing World, I decided to check mine. It begins to load at 4 or 5. I'm curious what the average is.

To check, place the bike on the center stand, key on accessory, then run the rear preload to zero. Start raising the pressure again, while listening to the motor. You will hear it begin to labor when it starts compressing the spring.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Sorry, your poll didn't include my number 1.

I filled it as per Fred's DVD and gained almost an inch as to how far the rear end raises. Set at 19 one up, I'm barely scraping anything anymore.

It's almost like a different bike!!

Before the fill up, it kicked in at 8.

·
Registered
269 Posts
2002 started at 7 before fillup.

Mine preload unit started to load up at seven, but now it starts immediatly at 1 after topping up the oil in the preload unit. My wife and I are 400 lbs together with no gear and we ride at 25. 25 was not enough before the refill and we were bottoming all the time. She was always asking me to slow down (primarily due to bottoming the rear suspension) on the twisty backroads. She was not happy, and when she is not happy, we are not happy.

After filling the rear preload unit, the bottoming of the rear suspension is much reduced now at 25. While the rear end sag seems like it is much better, the spring stiffness seems a little soft (my opinion) for two up riding with our weight. The rear spring seems perfect to me for solo riding. I will be installing the progressive rear spring as soon as the installation tool is delivered off of backorder. HDL is telling me early October now.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
#7 on an 04 with 59,000 on the clock.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Two questions.

1. What number am I looking for the pre-load as far as what is acceptable and within what range?

2. What number is ideal for touring one up?

I have 12k on an '03.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Ed Siemers said:
After reading the article Stu Oltman wrote for Wing World, I decided to check mine. It begins to load at 4 or 5. I'm curious what the average is.

To check, place the bike on the center stand, key on accessory, then run the rear preload to zero. Start raising the pressure again, while listening to the motor. You will hear it begin to labor when it starts compressing the spring.
These early results are about what I expected, though I suspect the guys who voted #2 have repaired theirs. To avoid skewing the poll results, please vote only if your adjuster hasn't been messed with. If you guys can get this vote count over 200 (no duplicate users), I'll get the right eyes to have a look at it.

Stu

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,011 Posts
I checked two of my friends Wings this past weekend and one was at 7 and the other one was at 3.

G

·
I voted #2, although mine is actually a 3. My bike is an '05 wwith 4500miles and it has not, to the best of my knowledge, been messed with.

I bought it used about a month ago with only 2000 miles on it. I've added 2500 since then. I don't know how someone can own a bike tht's this much fun and leave it sttin' around!

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have a 2002 with 33,000 miles on it and it begins to load at 7.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Mine is at 1-2........two the first time I did it, and 1 the next time shortly after.
Released it all the way down both times.

Maybe all the new ones will be low like this. I'm curious hwo the 06-07's turn out.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I should have made more choices. I did mine three times, and all three times it started grunting between 4 & 5, so I called it 4.

I wish I'd known about this when I first bought the bike back in 2001. Maybe it was quicker to load when new. It honestly is not a problem for me, my wife and I weigh about 320 pounds combined, I'm a pretty conservative rider, and neither of us ever felt the ride was harsh. Coming off of 1500's, it was certainly more solid, but not uncomfortable.

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Performed the Fred H fix on our 2 wings. Now can use a real 5 without the trailer and a real 20 with.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts