GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new shock and spring from Traxxion about 3 months ago. Just now getting around to installing, and I'm confused. The spring itself is shorter than the original, by about 3/4 of an inch. That is after using the spacer that was supplied. I will contact them directly Monday morning, but can someone tell me what's up. Am I missing a spacer? It looks like if I would have another black plastic spacer, it would be perfect. I guess now I'm wondering if I even got the right spring for the 1800. Anybody have any experience here? God, if it can happen, it happens to me!!!!!

·
DSI Keeper
9,167 Posts
Trying to understand your set up...

If you compress the spring and the adjuster, you have some slop or you don't have to compress the spring as much to assemble? The shocks that Traxxion sale are made by Penske. I think they have more than one groove for the clip that holds the adjuster. Pics might help here. I still have my factory spring unmounted, if you need me to measure length.

·
Vendor
22,067 Posts
I didn't compare the Traxxion spring to the OEM for length, but not sure it matters, since the Traxxion spring is made to go on the Traxxion shock. I just assembled it and put the clip ring in the groove that they darkened and it worked fine. I don't recall a spacer at all.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/traxxion2

I did notice it took more force on the spring compressor to mount compress the spring on the Traxxion shock, and I just figured this was because it has a higher spring rate.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your posts guys, I've got the wrong stuff. I'm really not sure what I've got at this point, but my shock looks just like the original, and the spring has one less coil if you know what I mean. I think something got mixed up along the way.

·
Vendor
22,067 Posts
thanks for your posts guys, I've got the wrong stuff. I'm really not sure what I've got at this point, but my shock looks just like the original, and the spring has one less coil if you know what I mean. I think something got mixed up along the way.
Traxxion used to make a modified OEM shock with a spring and spacer before they started making their own shock.

Here is a photo of my original Traxxion rear shock. Maybe this is what you have. You can see the spacer on top of the spring. By the way, the shocks travel is controlled by the shock, not the spring. Don't assume that just because the spring is shorter that it is wrong. The shock only moves about 4 inches total. The Traxxion spring is a higher rate spring, so it actually has more force per inch than the OEM spring. As long as it has the proper pre-load on it and is the proper spring rate, it should work fine.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fred, you sure know your stuff. That is exactly the set-up I have. So here is my question. The spring is so much shorter, that I wouldn't have to compress it at all to get it all re-assembled. How can this be right? Won't my ride height be that much lower when it's all re-installed? If I were to assemble it with what I have now, which is just exactly what you have posted, then I am about 3/4 of a inch short, or if you can imagine, the spring would just rattle around while I have it on the bench. Does this make sense to you?

Thanks for your help. I'll have this done by the time I get your videos!!!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more thing Fred, is Traxxion's modification of the OEM okay, like what is in your second post, or am I better off with their new style shock also. Money is a concern, but I don't want to do this for nothing either. Opinions??

·
Vendor
22,067 Posts
I'm a bit confused. When Traxxion modified the OEM shock, they take it apart and change the internal valving, and reassemble it. They drill a hole and mount a shrader valve in it so they can recharge it with nitrogen.

This schrader valve gets in the way of removing the pre-load collar. So you can't take the pre-load collar and spring off the shock after it is modified. Traxxion had to assemble all these units at their facility as a result, since they install the valve and charge the shock AFTER it is all assembled with the pre-load collar and spring. So I guess I don't understand how you got a Traxxion rear spring and spacer that isn't already installed on the shock. Did they sell you just the spring alone? Normally, the shock damping rates have to be changed to match them to the new spring rate, and this requires taking the shock apart internally.

As for your question about the spring, yes it needs some pre-load on it when it is installed. If you can install the spring and it has zero pre-load on it, something is wrong. You should have to use a spring compressor tool to compress the spring and get the clip in place.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fred, yeah, I got a shock that has had no modification to it. It seemed odd when I saw it, because it came with the spring loose, (uninstalled) with the spacer zip tied to the spring. I think I would be better off to get a shock from them in the morning, then I will have all I need. Basically what I have is an OEM shock, that has not been modified in any way, and a new spring, which they sized to my weight, load factors, etc. I'm not sure how this happened, but I will find out more when I call them tomorrow. I sure appreciate your help on this deal. I suppose I may as well replace the line with braided steel line too? Seems I always try to do things on the cheap, and end up spending money to get it done right anyway.

You, sir, are a wealth of knowledge, and I value your opinions and intelligence. Thanks again.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
You got the wrong parts it sounds like?

I'm not comparing spring brands here.But here is what my progressive spring looked like when I got it. (on the right)

Any replacemant spring should be the sane height as the one your taking off give or take a 1/8-1/4 depending on it's sag/age etc.

The only difference between the two should be in the load rating...
Stock is 900 lbs.

Did your spring come with install instructons,or say on the spring the load rating printed on it??
My progressive is 1100-1200 lbs.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rocky, no instructions, no load rating, nothing. The spring has a number on one end which is e-985, and the other end which says 1100-1096. All these numbers are engraved with a tool, not stamped in. I can understand having one less coil, since the spring itself is made of thicker material, but I agree it at least needs to be the same length. Yep, I got the wrong stuff here, not sure what I have, but will call Traxxion in the morning. Think I will just install their shock also, but 500-600 when it's all done is alot of money for me. Hope it's worth it. I'm going mostly by recommendations on this board, and I am expecting to feel a difference. After spending that money, I'm sure I'll feel something, but I hope it's not discomfort in the rear-end!!!!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On a completely seperate note, there is no reason to buy what I consider an overpriced spring compressor, if you have any number of things laying around. I compressed my old spring with an automotive strut compressor, and just for the hell of it, with my drill press! Just have to cut out a flat iron plate or two, but those who have that ability can certainly find something that works. Be careful, nothing increases the pucker factor more than a caged spring.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Why don't you just call Traxxion and ask them?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fazerdude, as noted in the posts earlier, I will be calling them in the morning. It's Sunday where I am, and alas, they are not around. Of course I now realize that I have received the wrong parts and I will contact them before I head to work in the morning.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ordered a new shock and spring from Traxxion about 3 months ago. Just now getting around to installing, and I'm confused. The spring itself is shorter than the original, by about 3/4 of an inch. That is after using the spacer that was supplied. I will contact them directly Monday morning, but can someone tell me what's up. Am I missing a spacer? It looks like if I would have another black plastic spacer, it would be perfect. I guess now I'm wondering if I even got the right spring for the 1800. Anybody have any experience here? God, if it can happen, it happens to me!!!!!
Hm , you should have a shock body , a spring that is 6 3/4 tall uncompressed, a cast aluminum spring retainer with a slot that fits on the bottom of the shock , and a black shock cover.

The pre-load adjuster must sit on top of the spring and shock assembly before the spring is compressed .

Go here for your instructions http://www.traxxion.com/technical_info_docs/shock_spring_installation_instru.htm

There is no other GL1800 shock offered by Traxxion , they no longer rebuild the old OEM unit .

If you have any other questions fire away :cool:

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I called Traxxion this morning. The problem is, I was sent the wrong spacer. The solution is, they would send the correct spacer, and I would be ready for assembly. That would allow me to mount the new spring on the OEM shock. I decided to go ahead and buy the Traxxion shock anyway, so they are sending out a complete asseembly, (shock and spring) and a call tag to return what I have. Don't know if any of you care, but I wanted to let you know I was not insane, I just had the wrong stuff. Furthermore, even though they provided me with the wrong part to start with, I'm impressed with the service they gave. If the entire package is as good as the customer service, I will be smiling.

On another note, I think I need to move to a warmer climate. This winter season up north is causing me to spend too much money on upgrades and farkles!! Anyway, just wanted to let you folks know the problem is solved, and I'm waiting for the UPS man once again.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ordered a new shock and spring from Traxxion about 3 months ago.
I don't get it ? In your original post you said you already ordered the Traxxion shock , and that was what you were attempting to assemble . :roll:

Oh well at least you have the goods on the way , you will be happy with the results . :thumbup:

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't get it ? In your original post you said you already ordered the Traxxion shock , and that was what you were attempting to assemble . :roll:

Oh well at least you have the goods on the way , you will be happy with the results . :thumbup:

I can see where the confusion started, thanks to me. My original quote says I ordered a new shock and spring from Traxxion. The spring is from them, the new shock was a new OEM from e-bay. I was not clear at all, and I apolojize. Not very good of me considering I'm on here asking you guys for help. Embarassing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts