GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
I talked to both Progressive and HDL today. Progressive will sell you the rear spring installation tool for about 70 bucks today at your door. Hal sells for about 53 bucks at your door, but Progressive has Hal pretty far down the delivery list. The size of Hal's backorder was about 25 units. The most recent commit date by Progressive to ship Hal some rear spring installation tools is January 31st. :(

·
Registered
269 Posts
All the input from this board gave the the confidence to just improvise a tool or something after the rear shock was off the bike. I have been very lucky along the way. I had not seen anywhere on this board how the spring actually comes off the shock body. Here is how I got the spring off the shock body.

First loosen the tiny allen set screw near the banjo fitting on the shock. The set screw scratches the shock body and makes an excellent reference for getting the spring preload unit back on in the same location. My allen screw was very difficult to come loose and I thought it was going to strip, but it did finally come loose thank goodness.
Here is the shock compressed and the lock wire revealed after the tiny allen set was loosened.

Here are the parts sitting on the floor. The progressive spring is tapered and can be installed only one way. The smaller diameter end of the progressive spring will not sit on the spring perch opposite the preload adjuster. Note the lockwire groove on the shock body and the lockwire on the floor nest to the shock body.

Here is a side by side comparison of the springs.

I guess I can cancel my 4 month backorder for the spring tool and save the $53 or $70 bucks depending on where you buy one. I should probably send the money to Fred. It was Fred's posts once again that gave me some clues as to how the shock came apart.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I made my own tool to do my spring. I had to do a little welding but I have a mig. Total cost was about $5.00 and about 1/2 hours of work. It isn't as pretty as the store bought one but it works great and being I am only using it one time to do my spring I couldn't see spending $53.00 for the tool.

Pap

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hello I did the press thing !!!!! Just used a piece of pipe the same size as the adjuster..A notch for the hose fitting & a cutout for the ends of the wire !!!.....chuck

·
Registered
269 Posts
My second photo post is a view from under my press. You can see the lock wire is still in the groove. The preload unit has been pushed down the shock body about 0.5 inches, maybe 0.75 inches. The lockwire is much more flexible than a snap ring and comes out with a very small screw driver or pick. Trust me, once you see the lockwire, all the work is done and the lockwire comes off very easily. Some big stong guy could probably just do it with his fingernail. I used a pick, sort of like an ice pick.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Blind Yak.Thanks for posting these pictures,They can certainly help guys who have access to a press,and give insight to others who are using the progressive tool.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the spring upgrade,seeing I'm doing the same thing next week.

·
Registered
128 Posts
A press can be made using a car jack too, as I did for some work on my previous bike. Just make sure the jack is securely fastened to the press assembly.

The advantage of wood is that it is satisfactorily strong, and easy to work with...in this photo I am compressing the spring to release the retainers (collars) so that I can take the entire assembly apart.

·
Vendor
2,586 Posts
Rocky said:
This place has the best price on this tool.. http://www.xtremerevolution.com/store/s ... -tool.aspx

I have done lots of business with them,and they are great folks.
I just ordered a tool ($31.70) and spring $76.45) from them.They only charge $5 shipping.

Shipping policy: http://www.xtremerevolution.com/Store/d ... c=shipping

That is not the tool for the GL1800... that is for "normal" rear shocks.

The GL1800 kit costs more, becasue it comes with a special adapter spacer to go around the body of the shock and push on the preload adjuster.

That tool is PN-5508 from Progressive. The tool for the GL1800 is PN-5509.

:)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Rocky said:
Blind Yak.Thanks for posting these pictures,They can certainly help guys who have access to a press,and give insight to others who are using the progressive tool.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the spring upgrade,seeing I'm doing the same thing next week.
See my post under "Progressive springs????".
Only first impressions.

·
Registered
17,385 Posts
I did mine with a borrowed spring tool and the threaded rod stripped -- Progressive did replace the damaged part. Using the technique of Stu Oltman, I was able to change it on the bike without removing the hydraulic unt Am I the only one who gets a little concerned abut how small and flimsey that wire retainer clip appears to be? What a ride it would be for that sucker to let go while your are cruising at 85! :shock:

prs

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Max.Although their is two different part numbers,and from your posting of these part numbers,I can see that the only difference between the two tools is the "spacer" that goes between the bottom on the tool and the pre-load adjuster.

I'm sure you'll agree that for the difference of $28.25 it would be easier to either make a spacer or use two pieces of 1/8 flat stock to do the same job..I'm not cheap in the least,But $28 for a curved washer is rediculous.

$31.70 tool
http://www.xtremerevolution.com/store/s ... -tool.aspx

$59.95 Progressive Tool
http://www.wingworx.com/index.asp?PageA ... ProdID=894
At a lower price than some too.

Progressive Tool PDF
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/PD ... 52-002.pdf

But thank you for pointing out the differences,so those who buy this lower costing tool will know that the very over priced spacer isn't included..

·
Registered
269 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts