GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to strip and regrease the rear suspension linkage bearings on my '03 GL1800 in a couple of weeks.
The Honda shop manual says you need to remove the exhaust system to access the bolts on the linkage but I've heard it's not really necessary, does anyone who has done this job have any advise on this ?

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Steve;

Are you talking about the swingarm pivots and bearings or the pins through the rear shock (or both).

There is a test for the swing arm bearing in your shop manual. The bearings and seals are manufactured together and there is NO cleaning and repacking; only option is to replace the brearing/seal units and races and bearing cups. I had to replace mine as they were damaged during original assembly. The shock pins are not in bearings, but I guess you could lube them with silicone grease. The swing arm disassembly and reassembly should be done special tools and close following of the assembly procedure. I do not recall having any problems with the exhaust in the way, but its been awhile, maybe I did remove the right side, but I don't think so. I noticed only one spare exhaust gasket in my possibles box -- so maybe I did remove it. No biggie.

prs

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Steve
No need to touch the exhaust. I just had the rear shock off my 03 and also removed the linkage to grease it while I was in there. The bearings were pretty dry. Just remove the top shelted and gas tank, that is all that is needed. If you are just doing the linkage and not removing the shock, there is no need to pull the gas tank.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bearings I'm talking about are the ones on the pro-link linkages at the bottom of the shock.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Exactly, there are two sets of roller bearings in each of the three holes.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, but what I really need to know is if you can get all the bolts out from underneath the bike without removing any part of the exhaust system.
I don't want to remove the gas tank.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't know if you ever got around to lubing your linkage, but figured I would respond for others to know.
You cannot lube all of the linkage without removing some exhaust. The fuel tank being removed has no effect.
The rest can be done on the center stand. First remove the shock bolt and let the swingarm fall free then remove the other 2 bolts on the pivot arm.
The whole pivot point will come out and then you can lube the three holes outside the bike. The only bolt you can't remove with the exhast in place is the far front one that holds the two long thin linkage arms

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I did service the rear shock linkage a while ago and you're right about that one bolt, it's a shame it can't be removed without disturbing the exhaust system.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
If you need the tools to remove and retorque the rear swing arm, I sell them at www.JustWings.com. Also, those are tapered bearing at the swing arm and they need retorqued every 24k.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yes, I did service the rear shock linkage a while ago and you're right about that one bolt, it's a shame it can't be removed without disturbing the exhaust system.
Yes you can,remove bottom shock bolt and you must get the bike higher than the center stand and let the back wheel drop real far , then it will clear.

·
Registered
223 Posts
When I service my Bike I usually put the center stand on my Park-n-move caster so I can move the bike around.While on this, the rear tire does not reach the ground when the lower shock bolt is removed.

The bolt that cannot be removed without taking off exhaust is the farthest forward of the linkage.

·
Registered
871 Posts
NO! you do not have to remove the exhaust. Take the bottom shock bolt out and remove the rear tire so the swing arm will drop low enough to get all the bolts out

·
Registered
223 Posts
NO! you do not have to remove the exhaust. Take the bottom shock bolt out and remove the rear tire so the swing arm will drop low enough to get all the bolts out
I thought I was very clear when I said that the rear tire did not reach the ground with the lower shock bolt removed #16. While my center stand is on the Park-n-move the swingarm sags down past where the shock will hold it and that is when you take out #15 and #12
Item #14 In the Pic Below is the bolt that cannot be removed because the exhaust is in the way.
The entire #6 assembly can be removed from the bike to be greased

·
Registered
871 Posts
I thought I was very clear when I said that the rear tire did not reach the ground with the lower shock bolt removed #16. While my center stand is on the Park-n-move the swingarm sags down past where the shock will hold it and that is when you take out #15 and #12
Item #14 In the Pic Below is the bolt that cannot be removed because the exhaust is in the way.
The entire #6 assembly can be removed from the bike to be greased

The OP did not say he was going to remove part #8. If he does you are right the exhaust will have to be dropped and that is the complete exhaust. Thanks for clearing that up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts