GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Have a question and I know the answer is going to subjective, but have to ask. On a stock GL1800’s REAR suspension when your riding just one up, do you set your PRE-LOAD to anything…or do you just leave it at ZERO. If you do set yours, what number do you have it on as a average setting….? What do you find is a good comfortable setting all around.

Since owning my first GW for just over 5 months now, I really have not played with that pre-load adjustment. Have always left it on ZERO even with two up riding and saddle bags fully loaded.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
On my 05' I ride at 12 solo.
Bump it up to 18 with Passenger and Trailer behind me.

Usually run 15 with Passenger and No Trailer.

Works for me. I am 270 lbs, Passenger is about 165.

Play with it some. Rasing the rear will keep the shock from bottoming when the Bike is loaded.

If the Passenger has not felt it bottom, in her bottom, run it as low as you can. It makes swinging your leg over the seat easier.

·
Banned
1,911 Posts
Ouch PogHaving a pogo syndrome are you??

I have mine set at 17-20 for general riding ;playing in the hills up to 20 or more and down to 12-15 when the better half on the back
Never 0
I weigh in at 175 so judge accordingly
Some grossly overweigh their bikes suspension just 2 up

S

·
0 Posts
It's just like anything else - find your idea of the best setting and go with that. Pretty much trial and test.

I set mine at 25 seven years ago and it never has changed since. This setting just works for me single or double.
I run tour type tires which do most of the road shock handling so this combo just seems to work.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am 205 pounds and 5 foot 7... for what its worth.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Wow! Vastly different for me. It's 10 solo and 20 2-up...

·
Registered
131 Posts
I played with different pre-load settings while riding 1 and 2 up. Set it at 25 and it hasn't moved since.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The girlfriend and I went half way across Canada and she is no tooth pick, bet she weighs in at 180 to 200 herself... and I am 205 or so....last time I checked it. And it was set for ZERO the whole time...and had fully loaded saddle bags. No not recall ever bottoming out....if I would have...I am sure I would have felt it.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I weigh 203, naked just after my morning pee....I am running mine at 25 and don't touch it. But that is going to change in a couple weeks after some suspension work.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Maybe you were already at bottom!

If you do a search on PRELOAD, you'll find many that like the 25 setting.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Mine is set at 25 and it stays at 25 regardless of riding conditions.
Forgot to add, 6'2" tall and 190 lbs.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Run 0 most of the time, Run about 18 with the wife on board and run 25 when I want to hit the twisties.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Q

I keep on repeating myself on this question (which gets asked about every month) . . .

Whatever setting others suggest and you finally decide upon is meaningless -- unless you know where your hydraulic actualtor really begins to function.

There. Now maybe people will pay attention!

For mysterious reasons, the fluid in your hydraulic actuator can get depleted -- or maybe it was never filled completely at the factory -- or maybe the rubber hose holding it has expanded from age. For whatever reason, it's quite possible that you think you've cranked up your setting to 18, but in actuality . . . it's only at 7 or 8, because the actuator doesn't begin working until a setting of 10 or more! To find out where yours begins to work:

Put the bike on the center stand in neutral, and turn the engine off. Crank your suspension adjustor button all the way down to zero. Then listen carefully as you increase your setting numbers. You will hear a distinct change of sound as the actuator is being engaged. Note the number where this happens. THAT is where your actuator begins working. It should begin working at 2-3 under ideal conditions. If your fluid is low, here's how you can fill your reservoir:

http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/reservoirfill.htm

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<<<< SNIPPED >>>>

For mysterious reasons, the fluid in your hydraulic actuator can get depleted -- or maybe it was never filled completely at the factory -- or maybe the rubber hose holding it has expanded from age. For whatever reason, it's quite possible that you think you've cranked up your setting to 18, but in actuality . . . it's only at 7 or 8, because the actuator doesn't begin working until a setting of 10 or more! To find out where yours begins to work:

Put the bike on the center stand in neutral, and turn the engine off. Crank your suspension adjustor button all the way down to zero. Then listen carefully as you increase your setting numbers. You will hear a distinct change of sound as the actuator is being engaged. Note the number where this happens. THAT is where your actuator begins working. It should begin working at 2-3 under ideal conditions. If your fluid is low, here's how you can fill your reservoir:

http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/reservoirfill.htm

I can hear mine pick up the load at 2 and at 3 its loaded all the way to 25 where it stops.

One piss off I do have is that while I am riding...I can not change it, I tryed to play with it while riding to see what its like at different settings but....that was a no go. Have to fully stop and be out of gear for it to work. Sort of pisses me off as I would like to set at some point the MENO 1 and 2 for the preset on that...so I can just hit it on a fly....but no luck
on that it seems.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone know how to disable to lock out on the controls for the preload so you can adjust it on the fly...?

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I weigh 203, naked just after my morning pee....I am running mine at 25 and don't touch it. But that is going to change in a couple weeks after some suspension work.

WOW, you ride naked? :22yikes:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Does anyone know how to disable to lock out on the controls for the preload so you can adjust it on the fly...?
I don't think you want to do that. That little motor that powers the actuator would be seriously stressed if you are trying to adjust the suspension while under power on the ground. It's barely powerful enough to adjust the pre-load with the bike on the centerstand and the wheel off the ground.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So then your telling me that all adjustments should be done with the bike on the center stand.....????

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
So then your telling me that all adjustments should be done with the bike on the center stand.....????
Well, it can be done while you're parked, but the owner's manuel says the suspension is supposed to adjusted while the bike in on the center stand for a good reason.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts