GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at installing a larger spring on the rear of my 'wing to help hold myself and my passenger a bit better.. we're 2 guys so we weigh more than most GW pairs ;) I've seen the Progressive rear spring and was wondering if anyone had used a car suspension spring instead to get some extra support, or if anyone has any tips/hints on the progressive spring swap.

I have looked at the traxxion suspensions, but I'm trying to keep this on a bit of a smaller budget.

I have an 05 with 90K miles on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I don't know if you have seen a rear shock/spring for the GL1800....

As you can see, this Traxxion rear shock spring is very stout. I'm not sure if you could source an auto spring with the correct dimensions to fit the shock. Then there is the science behind getting the correct performance from a single rear shock application like this. It would be an interesting project. I would be really surprised if anyone has tried what you suggested for the GL1800....

·
Registered
616 Posts
I was looking at installing a larger spring on the rear of my 'wing to help hold myself and my passenger a bit better.. we're 2 guys so we weigh more than most GW pairs ;) I've seen the Progressive rear spring and was wondering if anyone had used a car suspension spring instead to get some extra support, or if anyone has any tips/hints on the progressive spring swap.

I have looked at the traxxion suspensions, but I'm trying to keep this on a bit of a smaller budget.

Thanks
I put a Progressive spring on at 75,000 with a shock from a trike take off and rebuilt the front with OEM parts and I am happy.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have the Progressive rear spring and it is definitely an improvement over the stock spring. Be sure to check your actuator to be sure it is loading up right from #1, upgrade the spring and you guys should feel well supported.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Check with Race Tech, they have good stuff too. As most will tell you, any upgrade in suspension is worht the $. Your passanger's rear won't feel as sore after a long days ride, either. :nojoke:

PS I lived in Cambridge, MN. I loved MN!!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Sorry off topic but just wondering if you can install a progressive spring on a traxxion shock seems that you can with the traxxion shock 4 grooves on the shock body

CHEERS :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,393 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
So......ya want more spring in your tush.......Lol! I will say the same nonsense in person...just try me. Ha!

Take a look at the RaceTech site. They sell several replacement springs that will fit the stock shock. You can call them and talk to them and get the right one.

To change it.......shade tree spring compressor.

Find about a one foot section of 2 inch angle iron, drill three holes in that, one about one inch in the middle and two half inch holes on the ends, get two section of 1/2 inch all thread rod about 30 inches long, drill a couple holes in your work bench and bolt the all thread to the bench with nuts and washers, put the angle iron on the rods, get your car jack out of the car, put the bike shock on top of the jack, adjust the angle iron, now use the car jack to compress the shock up against the angle iron, remove the nut, release it all, remove the spring and do it all in reverse to install the new one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was looking at my service manual and looking at the procedure to replace the shock.. It mentions removing the gas tank, which seems like a ton of work.. is that required for changing out the spring? I was hoping to find someone who has done the change out that can offer some feedback on how it went and what they did exactly :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
response toGoaliemn

The manual's procedure gives you full access, not only to the shock , but also allows you to check the main bike's ground (a bunch of ground branches come together there.Yo can also do component cleaning withe the tank out. Some people do it by moving saddlebags out of the way and with "tool contortion",it can be done. Taking the tank out is no big deal Silicone spray lubricates contact points of the tank with the chassis and it slides out and then in like a charm.

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
Jose is correct, not a big deal taking out the tank. Helps to have the tank low on fuel. Also gives you a chance to check all the hose clamps while you're there. They have been known to weep in the winter, when it gets cold, if they aren't tight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
cheap spring compressor

used the progressive spring on the oem shock in conjuction with changing the oil in the adjuster. for the spring compressor is went cheap. i took to long 3/8 inch stainless steel eye bolts (i tried galvanized but they stretched out the eyes when compressing the progressive spring). i attached the eye bolts to the spring 180 degrees apart with 3/8 inch u-bolts. then i attached one end of the chain to the one eye bolt, with a couple of washers leaving room to tighten the bolt and shortening the chain. i looped the chain through the fork on the bottom of the shock to the other eye bolt with some more washers and a nut. i then tighten the bolts which compressed the spring giving enough slack to remove the snap ring at the top of the assembly. like i said, the regular steel eye bolts worked great with the oem spring but the progressive stretched the eye bolts out. i did notice the bike raised up about 2 inches in the rear without a rider. bike is a 2004 gl1800 with 59000 miles. the wife and i enjoy the new ride and it is a lot smoother. i weigh 170 and she is about 130. i also changed over to progressive fork springs, 15w30 eng oil in the forks, a super brace (found it a truck stop for $25), and a nickel (5 cent piece) with a 5/16 hole drilled through it to disable anti-dive valve. just finished 3300 mile 2 week ride and the setup worked great. my only problem is some of the roads in Oklahoma look like washboards so the front can be a bit stiff when hitting those above 70 mph.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
tank

Just an idea...Has anyone tried using the plastic bag trick to help remove the tank. I haven't tried it yet, but some are using a trash bag to facilitate putting a larger rear tire on the wing instead of lube. Seems like it would work for this too.

Richard

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

Thanks
no Need to pull the tank, only loosen it. Trust me, you push it up a tad so as to get a long extension in to reach shock bolt.

Should not need a larger spring, get a progressive spring that has a higher spring rate. I did and love it, now if I can get the front to ride as plush as the Rear (without spending $2500 Plus) I will be sitting good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went ahead and got the Progressive spring installed on the bike. I picked it up last night and have put afew hundred miles on it. Wow. Completely different bike. More spring in the ride, corners completely different, and my passenger also said it felt much better.. he's riding higher and feels better supported, and going over bumps feels better as well. I've also gone from 25 to 16 with him on back, and from 20 to 10 with me alone, preload wise.

I highly recommend it for those that can't afford the whole traxxion shock changeout. Ended up being about $250, parts and labor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts