GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, MH did just as Stu said they possibly would do. They refused to fix the rear suspension problem on my 2001 GW.

My preload does not start loading up until it gets to 11-12. Since it does not preload properly, the rear bottoms out when 2 up. Honda says we weigh too much--I am 230 and wife is about 160.

Jeff, the service manager at Cycles Unlimited in Decatur, AL. used the information from Stu's 2 articles and other posts to try to explain to the Honda phone tech. what might be happening. They wouldn't listen. They said if it doesn't come from Honda it is "junk"!

Guess I will get my bike back and install aftermarket spring and refill/bleed the adjuster or take it to Traxxion to be fixed properly.
Leaning toward the latter.

Thanks to all for the great posts about the rear suspension. Thanks, Jeff, for going to bat for a customer. :)

HONDA, I am very disappointed that you will not "step up to the plate" and fix a problem that you DO know about. Doesn't speak very highly of how you value your customers!! :( :(

Dwight McKelvy

·
Registered
269 Posts
I will just say that my wife and I weigh about the same as the two of you weigh. My wife would kill me if I documented her weight on line. I have a new spring to be installed later after I get the spring installation tool, but I expect a big improvement by just filling the rear preload unit back up with oil so that all the spring preload available in the GL1800 design is returned. I plan on using the method defined by Fred H. in his posts and pictures. Sounds like a much smaller job than taking the shock off. You are missing half of your spring preload adjustment range if yours is not moving until it reaches 12. The half you are missing is the important half.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
You could paint lemons on it and the name "Lemon Wing" and park at the dealers front door during business hours. :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
922 Posts
check ebay for a new assembly from a trike conversion, they usually sell cheap.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Tangleyes said:
Well, MH did just as Stu said they possibly would do. They refused to fix the rear suspension problem on my 2001 GW.

Dwight McKelvy
...I've just noticed your post; am I correct in assuming that
as you have an '01, as I do, that you have an extended
warranty, which I don't...or am I missing something?

...Ken

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Dwight - I'm just curious, you have an 01 Wing and what kind of mileage? At this point with any reasonable amount of overall mileage your rear shock is more than likely history anyway and if you are riding 2 up a new rear shock (and potentially an upgraded spring) would be night and day difference for your riding comfort.

I installed the rear Works shock and spring last year and it was amazing the improvement in how it handed the bumps and ride. Traxxion's gear wasn't available then so I didn't have the options others have now, but my vote is to go forward with either the Traxxion or Works rear suspension products for the 1800 and you'll be a happy camper.

DaleC

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
The bottom line is Mother Honda just doesn't care if your bike is fixed right. Nor do they honor their extended warranty. Just a pos on paper. You would be better off to take the $690 and invest in a real suspension system for your bike.

I believe the reason that Honda doesn't care is that they have the BIG BUCKS to fight if they were ever taken to court. It is a shame that things like this exist from a large corporation.

They are always willing to just say "NO" before ever looking at the bike in question. If you don't like the way it handles....tough luck is Hondas attitude and some of their dealers as well.

It is sad...................

·
Registered
525 Posts
If the preload does not move until 12, half of its range of adjustment is gone. The weight of the rider is irrelevant as to whether the preload is operating properly. Where the weight of the rider comes into play is whether only half the preload is enough. For 2 up of almost any weight it is not enough. But, following Honda's reverse logic, if the rider weighed only 150 would that mean the preload not moving until 12 WAS defective. Ridiculous.

The key to a successul class action lawsuit is not the amount or seriousness of the damage, but the size of the class and the ease of the case to prove. The wobble case I think is a bad lawyer investment, because even the riders dispute its cause from one case to the next. But the preload is a slam dunk. It appears that almost every Wing from 2001 to 2005 has it. Honda further digs themselves a hole by documenting that they consider it unserviceable. Therefore, all the lawyer has to do is prove that it is not working advertised and the Honda is unwilling to honor their warranty. Further, I will bet that depositions would show they knew it.

So for the lawyers they have a class action on behalf of five years production of Goldwings with the damages to be an new shock and preload (since Honda has already declared it to be unserviceable). The settlement value is large and the lawyers fee is weighted by the amount of damages. Kaching $$$$$ Big lawyer payday.

What would be better is some retired Wingers file small claims actions against Honda for breach of warranty. Even better if you can find a judge who rides. Bring in Stu's article, the Honda sales material about the value of the preload, your shock and preload and a 12 volt battery and demonstrate the failure to the judge right on the bench. When you do this, you can see that nothing moves until the tone changes. Sue for retail value of a new shock and by yourself a Traxxion.

·
Registered
23 Posts
wingman57 said:
The bottom line is Mother Honda just doesn't care if your bike is fixed right. Nor do they honor their extended warranty. Just a pos on paper....

It is sad...................
I'm glad I bought my dealer's extended warranty for the next 3 years instead of Honda's.

I've had a few problems that they fixed to my satisfaction. It's nice knowing this dealer stands behind their own warranty.

From what I'm reading here, maybe more riders should consider such an approach - IF their dealer is reputable.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Tangleyes said:
My preload does not start loading up until it gets to 11-12. Since it does not preload properly, the rear bottoms out when 2 up. Honda says we weigh too much--I am 230 and wife is about 160.
They said if it doesn't come from Honda it is "junk"!
HONDA, I am very disappointed that you will not "step up to the plate" and fix a problem that you DO know about. Doesn't speak very highly of how you value your customers!! :( :(

Dwight McKelvy
I weigh 290 and the wife is 140; they didn't blame our weight but they said the bike was operating normally with it engaging at 12. Nothing unusual at either end.
My bike bottomed harshly over bumps when I was riding 1-up and the preload was on 25. The anti-dive was always anti-diving; always.
Traxxion works.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I had the rear shock on my 03 replaced under warranty, bike was 2 yrs 10 months old with 94,000 kms. No questions from Honda, dealer said it leaked pre-load fluid and it was replaced. A month later I upgraded to Traxxion, wow.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do have the extended warranty and it has paid for itself, so I have no gripes there. My 01 has 45,000 miles on it and runs great.

As stated, I have no gripes about my dealer and the service people at Cycles Unlimited. Jeff made numerious calls to Honda, but they told him case closed and to stop calling. Jeff was very upset that he was unable to help me.

Honda has a problem-a very expensive problem- with some of their bikes. As they claim the rear suspension is non-serviceable and must be replaced, it will cost over $1000 to fix each bike. Not money they are going to spent if they can avoid it! Since this can be a safety issue, I believe the "day of reckoning" will eventually come.

I probably will upgrade to the Traxxion rear suspension. $450 if I remove and reinstall the components myself. At 45,000 miles the rear shock is probably "done" anyway. Probably get a set of front springs from them at the same time.

I thank each of you for your comments and support. I hope all have a safe and enjoyable ride. :)

Dwight McKelvy

·
Registered
525 Posts
Since this can be a safety issue, I believe the "day of reckoning" will eventually come.
I think one of their problems here is that the problem is concealed. The indicator (potentiometer) that measure the movement of the master cylinder works. That is why the numbers change. I think that until this was brought to our attention by Fred and Stu most owners trusted that their preload was working.

Now we have dealers and Honda trying to say that "it is normal" when the readout indicates the preload is set halfway even though it has not moved. Actually, it is "normal" because it was the practice of the manufacturer to underfill the preload. So what they are saying in essence is that it is normal for this unit to be defective in operation. That would be a true statement.

What would they say if all of the fuel gauges indicated empty with the reserve light flashing when you had only consumed 2 gallons? And all of them did it so it was "normal" for this condition to occur. This condition would render the fuel guage to be useless even though it functioned, because one would never know whether they had 4 gallons left or that the tank was empty unless they measured it with a stick. That is the situation with the preload, escept the preload is worse. For the owner who has the 12 reading, he cannot set his preload firmer than a real setting of 13. This would be like only being able to put 3 gallons of gas into the 6 gallon tank.

Honda is indeed going to have a day of reckoning over this and it will be very expensive for them. Totally unnecessary too, for it is an easy fix as Fred and Max have found out.

I really hope someone will test this in small claims court, because I think it is outrageous that Honda thinks that can be the sole judge as to what parts of their warranty they will honor. To try to shine this off as "normal" is totally arbitrary, clearly contrary to the facts, and arrogant.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm glad I bought my dealer's extended warranty for the next 3 years instead of Honda's.
I am glad you have a good dealer, but this is a touring bike. What value is the dealers warranty if you have a failure in Montana? Does he cover work performed by other dealers?

·
Registered
750 Posts
My 02 begins to load a setting 11. I discussed this with my local dealer and the stated "well that's about right." I do have the Honda extended warranty, but evidently I'm SOL. I mentioned Stu Oltman's initial article in Wing World, but he was unaware of it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've noticed that I can flat foot with the preload at 25 I always had to tiptoe to reach the ground & drag my belly pan on speed bumps two up unless I go real real slow and cross at an angle. DO I HAVE A PROBLEM ?????

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
:shock:

·
Registered
525 Posts
What is the difference between leaking fluid and the factory not filling it in the first place? Why would both not be subject to warranty?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts