GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey kids---just got a new 2008 Wing--what do most of ya`ll set the rear suspension on? will be riding solo at 255lbs and double at around 390--mainly on good highways--thanks

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
Welcome!! I'm sure that you will get a lot of different answers on this. It's dependent a lot on personal choice. I am 220 and the wife is ....... You didn't think I was gonna say how much my wife weighs did you?
Two up loaded for a trip, right at 400 lbs. One up I have it set at 5 two up around 11 or 12.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
It will take some trial and error to find out whats comfortable for them, 1 up I run at about 6 when I hit the mountain twisties I put it at almost max.

·
Registered
274 Posts
level

I sit on the bike in front of a large store window and adjust it until it's sitting level.... if I'm riding swiftly on twisty roads I may crank it up for more ground clearance

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
1; Do a google search on "motorcycle suspension settings"

2; decide what sag you want.

3; run the preload up until you hit that figure.

I settled on about 1.25" of loaded sag. The stock spring could not give me that with 25 on the preload, so I left it on 25 all the time. I changed out the shock and spring with Traxxion components and bled the preload. I set the loaded sag for 1.25". My preload is at zero with me alone on the bike, and 25 fully loaded, with different setting for different loads. That gets me to about 1.25"...

If the above sounds too complicated, just set it to where you find it most comfortable for everyday riding and to 25 for the twisties. Got a lot of different calibrations for butts...

·
Registered
271 Posts
...setting will depend on when your preload gear activates....
If I understand what he just said, that matches what my local mechanic friend showed me on my bike. In a quiet shop and the setting on '0', he showed me that my fluid/oil was low... When he increased the preload, there was no change in sound until it got to 6. There should be a change before that if the fluid/oil is full. Recently, I noticed it didn't make a change in sound until about 10 so all my preload choices needed to increase by 4 until I top off the fluid/oil (and fix the leak).

·
Registered
698 Posts
1; Do a google search on "motorcycle suspension settings"

2; decide what sag you want.

3; run the preload up until you hit that figure.

I settled on about 1.25" of loaded sag. The stock spring could not give me that with 25 on the preload, so I left it on 25 all the time. I changed out the shock and spring with Traxxion components and bled the preload. I set the loaded sag for 1.25". My preload is at zero with me alone on the bike, and 25 fully loaded, with different setting for different loads. That gets me to about 1.25"...

If the above sounds too complicated, just set it to where you find it most comfortable for everyday riding and to 25 for the twisties. Got a lot of different calibrations for butts...
As noted above. The stock rear springs are so much too weak that you are lucky to be able to get to the desired sag of 1" to 1.25" at a setting of 25. Setting it any lower than this has 2 effects:

1. Makes it easier for shorter folks to reach the ground..

2. Makes it more prone to bottoming.

It does NOT make it ride rougher as the sping rate is still the same regardless of the sag (and the suspension ratio is close to linear in this range of movement)

The NET is that with the OEM sping ,unless you have trouble reaching the ground, you should set the rear at 25 and forget it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I am 230lbs , I run it set with a stock spring at 20 solo and 25 if its two up. both the front and rear springs on the wing are WAY to soft in my opinion.....

·
Registered
464 Posts
I weigh about 215 and I ride around on 0 to 5. Very comfortable for me and I don't feel like I'm reaching for the ground when I stop. When loaded or when putting on the center stand I use 25. I don't scrape pegs in turns but if I did I'd run it up a little. Maybe 20 or 25.

My best advice would be to sit on it at standstill and see how it feels touching the ground set on 0. Can you flat foot it with both feet? Raise it up until it it feels like any higher and you would have to go tip toe to keep it upright at a stop light. Your proper position would be just under that point. Set you first memory there. If you find that you need more height to keep from scraping the pegs in turn, wick it up 5 or 10 points and set your second memory at that level, even if it's 25.

Now I am 5'9" with a 30 inch inseam your results will probably be different. The general rule is to set it where you can flat foot it at a stop. Then ride it around to get the feel for it. Highway, city, twisties etc. Then adjust it after you get some more seat time and try different levels. In a few days you'll quit messing with it and just enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Well this is what I have experienced. I have the stock suspension, I weigh in at about 240 lbs. I used to ride solo with a setting of 5, but the ride was very rough compared to the GL1200 that I used to ride. My shock starts to move at the 3 setting. I have played around with the settings and I now ride at 14 solo and 20 with a passenger or with the trailer and no passenger. When two up with trailer, I ride at the max of 25. I found that at the low setting of 5, the shock was not pumped up enough to allow it to function properly without bottoming out on bumps. At the 14 setting, the ride really smoothed out as the shock gets a chance to really function properly. Now this is my personal experience, others may have found something different, but this works well for me. I will say experiment with different settings and see what works for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts