GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With normal use [rider, no passenger, easy mileage on Interstate] how long would you expect the stock rear to last ?

I only have 36k miles on mine and it seems fine. Seems to me I remember on my 1500 it was toast by 80k miles.

Just wondering if I should pick up one of the cheap rears when they come up FS.

TIA

·
Registered
17,125 Posts
The answer is likely; "It varies too much to give a reasonable answer." The hydraulic pre-load may be the first thing to "let you down", but lots of riders seem not to notice the symptoms or to not relate the symptoms to the problem. If you are gettng a harsh ride, it could be the pre-load has reduced to the point that you are hitting bottom on the rear suspension.

A more direct "test" is to cycle the pre-load from 0 on up while on centerstand with engine off. Like Fred Harmon described long ago, you can hear the point at which the motor labors as the pre-load is first being appied. If your display reads higher than some arbitraty number before the motor labors, then you have lost that much of the range. I think the general rule of thumb is not worry about it if under 7 and to be very concerned if the number is 10 or higher because then saftey becomes an issue with too poor of a suspension. Then you have the shock itelf. Its compresson and rebound dampening are sure to fade with use and age, but at what rate? Mine "seems" to be working at 40,000, but as compared to what? Its a seat of the pants thing and likely something that sneaks up on us so slowly that we don't realize how lousy it is/was until we change it. Maybe getting an upgrade in rear suspension is sort of similar to the new tire euphoria. The rear spring will likely last and last with your type of use, but others may benefit from the 20% stronger spring upgrade.

I may go with Traxion when the time comes. More $, but better suspension by most reports.

prs

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A more direct "test" is to cycle the pre-load from 0 on up while on centerstand with engine off.
I'm fine on that front. It begins to pump and raise at about 2-3 on the dial. I only need to run it at 10 as I am smaller [155 lbs] and don't carry a heavy load.
Then you have the shock itelf. Its compresson and rebound dampening are sure to fade with use and age, but at what rate?
While I'm sure there is some loss I didn't notice it until about year 4. Major symptom was a slow weave at 80-90 mph.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Then you have the shock itelf. Its compresson and rebound dampening are sure to fade with use and age, but at what rate?
Unfortunately, its compression and dampening come faded out of the box in comparison to what it could and should have been. Find someone with a Traxxion shock and compare. It will end your weaving. It will improve you cornering both because the rear end is no longer sagging and because the compliance makes the rear wheel stick to the road. No harsh bumps transmitted to the pillion.

If you are noticing degradation even over the new stock condition it is time. You will REALLY like the change.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are noticing degradation even over the new stock condition it is time. You will REALLY like the change.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. On my 1500 I only began to notice degradation after 4 years [high speed weave] so I replaced the rear shock with a new stock unit and it disappeared.

My '02 1800 is only at 36k miles and currently FINE[ keep in mind it sat for 3 years without being ridden so it's really only been on the road for 2 years]. I just want to know if I should be picking up a spare shock now for when I need a replacement.

I tend to rack up miles quickly.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I have an 01, and the rear suspension was toast at the 65K mark. It sagged so bad that I had to be really careful with the sidestand - if it even hinted at being on the high side, bike would go over.

Installed a new unit then, and now I wonder when it started - I am thinking about the 40-50K range, but it was so gradual I never really noticed it all at once.

Your idea of getting one is good - I got an ebay special for $40 delivered that was not even dirty. Gave the old one to another rider, and its headed for Traxxon for a rebuild, then I will get the one he takes off and ship it to Max for Traxxonization, and put it on my bike.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,098 Posts
My shock was tired at 25000 miles. I could feel the shock bouncing over the bumps instead of absorbing the bump and the shock would bottom easier.

I went with the Traxxion upgrade and it was like getting a newer better bike. I will be sending my shock back to Traxxion again when it hits the 25000 mile mark to have it rebuilt again. It only cost 150 dollars the second time around to have Traxxion rebuilt the shock and checked out and replace the seals if needed and change the shock oil and then it will be like a new shock again. Same thing with the Traxxion front forks. I think it's well worth the 300 dollars every few years to be riding on a tip top suspension...it just makes riding this bike so much more fun.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My shock was tired at 25000 miles. I could feel the shock bouncing over the bumps instead of absorbing the bump and the shock would bottom easier.
Roadie
Are you a big guy ? Ride 2 up or carry a lot of weight ? 25k doesn't seem like much ? Not doubting you just wondering why so little mileage ?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,098 Posts
Bobb Todd said:
Roadie
Are you a big guy ? Ride 2 up or carry a lot of weight ? 25k doesn't seem like much ? Not doubting you just wondering why so little mileage ?
No, I'm not a big guy by Gold Wing standards. I weigh around 210lbs, but I ride fairly hard in the corners and I ride two up 90% of the time. The shock on my bike just weren't cutting it by 25,000 miles. Shocks on motorcycles have never lasted much past 25,000 miles, with most bikes it's even less. Even the shocks on cars are recommended to be replaced at 25,000 miles. The front forks needs regular maintenance too. Traxxion says that the lower front fork bushings are worn by 20,000 miles and need to be replaced. The fork oil is dirty black by 14,000 miles....and yes, fork oil wears out too....change it every season. The suspension degrades slowly over time and miles and some never notice it. Upgrading the suspension on this bike is without a doubt the best mod you can do to this motorcycle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts