GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't ridden since before the Christmas holiday, about 5 weeks. As the weather started to warm up to the 40's I thought I would take a quick ride around the lake, so I uncovered the bike and checked the air pressure. The rear tire which is normally at 41 PSI had dropped to 10 PSI. I inspected the tire for a puncture in the tread area and the sidewall and didn't see anything.

Is this sorta normal or do I have a tire to rim problem that needs to be taken care of.

Billy Joe..

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Check your valve stem and core first with a spray bottle of soapy water. If thats not it, spray down that tire tread.

G

·
Nope. You have a leak....somewhere. Small puncture, valve stem, valve, bead leak, whatever. Temperature changes will never result in a pressure change to that degree.

Ride safe

·
Registered
747 Posts
yes, soapy H2O in a spray bottle is in order.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Teaser 1 hit the nail "Leak" on the Head!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Not normal. I normally check mine weekly but if not riding I don't. Recently had a period of 4 weeks between rides and pressure went from 41/41 to 38/39. Temp had dropped from 65 to 35 between rides also. I would definitely check it out good before riding. :(

·
Registered
305 Posts
I haven't ridden since before the Christmas holiday, about 5 weeks.
Howdy neighbor!

I have a front tire that I put on about a year ago that leaks at the bead. I have had it remounted but it still leaks. It is getting replaced again this year even though it is not worn out. I had to plug the rear so it will get replaced also.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
When I got the 01 new, rear tire kept loosing air - about two pounds per week. Honda replaced tire with a new one, same result. Remounted it, new stems, etc, same problem. Finally had enought time, so I pulled thire and wheel off and sunk it in the hot tub.

Leak was coming out of the wheel - thru a pinhole in the casting showing up as bubbles in one of the spoke vents. So I painted the inside of the wheel with a couple of coats of enamel. Result is the pressure in the tire will drop about a pound a month.

But generally, the leak is around the valve stem or the bead.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found a very small finish nail that I missed during the firstcheck

I'm going to run a plug for a few months and then replace both tires with Stones before I hit the road for some serious riding.

Thanks again,

Billy Joe..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts