GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with the Metzeler rep. for this area. Discussed the possibility of using the Valkyrie rear on the 1800. His recommendtion was a strong NO. Reason, the side walls are softer and the construction materials and bead are different. The Valkyrie tire probably won't hold up as long as the GL1800 tire.

I probably won't be doing it with the Metzeler.

Just thought I'd pass this along....

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Thanks because I have kicked around the idea
of a larger back tire to correct speedometer.

Was it ever also decided that the larger back
tire would confuse the ABS monitor?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Chris,

We ought to archive tis post. Every time the subject comes up, we can just cut & paste.

Good info, and it sounds about right to me.

Sure we will hear from the nay sayer, that has made this change, "with no problems".

Good info, Thanks

The Dawg

·
Registered
17,039 Posts
Hey Ho Bulldog and the Fire!

I'm not sure about this board, but I recall at least one rider on another board reporting from experience just what the Chef's informant suggested about the Metzler Valk tire; but as I recall (recall is a progressively more dangerous prospect as we age) that same rider reported excellent "feel", performance, and life form the Avon Valk tire.

With the Metz tire he noted, as I recall, an odd side to side instability when riding straight ahead and inprecice handling in the corners -- or something to that effect -- its been several months. I am strongly considering going to the Avon Valk radial 70 series rear radial myself; but am looking for some positive assurance before offering myself up as the guinnie pig. Not at all sure of which front tire I will pair with it -- either the Avon GL tire or the Bridgestone at this point.

prs

·
Registered
98 Posts
Since all of the tire manufactures are having a very hard time making a tire that they comsider adequate for the GL1800, it seems wise to not experiment on our own, since our lives are invoved,and that of our co-rider. I am sure they would love to just say, use our other tire it will work fine, but they know the word lawsuit. Remember the GL1800 is not like any other Goldwing.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Buddy said:
Since all of the tire manufactures are having a very hard time making a tire that they comsider adequate for the GL1800, it seems wise to not experiment on our own, since our lives are invoved,and that of our co-rider. I am sure they would love to just say, use our other tire it will work fine, but they know the word lawsuit. Remember the GL1800 is not like any other Goldwing.
Am I missing something? It seems to me that any motorcycle tire should work as long as the load rating is equal to or greater than that of the OEM tires. Of course I would expect a difference in handling, ride, traction, etc...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Avon

Pigeon Roost. Tom Finch a member of this board is currently running the Avon Radial in a 70 Series to correct the speedo issues. So far he has had positive results. I believe there is a post already on the board about his current activities with the Avon.

dMac

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did a little "physical" investigation today. One thing the Metzeler man said was about the bead. Well, I went and looked at the bead on the 2 Metzelers as well as the Avon's. The bead construction is slightly different between the GL1800 and Valk tires from both manufactueres. In other words, the bead on the Metz tires was different between the two, and the Avons were different between themselves.

H

·
0 Posts
I couldn't agree more. I have had many phone calls from the different tire manufacturers advising me that if a customer has a problem with a non-approved application that the customer is on his own. Why do we all think that we know more than the tire manufacturers and are willing to risk life and limb if our decision is wrong?

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
I couldn't agree more. I have had many phone calls from the different tire manufacturers advising me that if a customer has a problem with a non-approved application that the customer is on his own. Why do we all think that we know more than the tire manufacturers and are willing to risk life and limb if our decision is wrong?
Hal,

Good question! Could be that American's are used to being lied to. You know, all them UFO/JFK/The Mob conspiracies can't all be wrong! :wink:

But more than likely it stems from our sense of adventure and history of mechanical modifications. You think the whole hot rod deal was created by the manufacturers?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
While we are on this subject:

A few weeks ago at Chapter Maintenance Day I notice a friends rear tire. The bike was on the center stand and the tire was touching the ground. I mentioned this to him and he said he had just gotten the tire. A dealer had selected the tire and installed it, a 70 series. I don't know if this was a human mistake or an incorrect tire chart. The point is to double check that you get the correct tire per your owners manual.

The sad thing is that his speedo and odo were dead on according to my GPS. My friend was planning to go back to the dealer for the correct tire.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I can't believe what I'm reading here about horrible risk to life and limb and your grandaughter passenger. These are the same guys who think nothing about overloading the crap outa their bike and think nothing of it. If you install a rear tire with taller sidewall of course the sidewall stiffness will be different. You could feel a slight difference in corners and when braking. Freeway cracks will be smoother. Just start out easy until you understand the differences and you know what is happening. If load rating is OK. has radial construction, and tread pattern looks comparable then go for it but use your head starting out. I selected the Dunlop VTX1800 70 series rear instead of the Valk 70 series rear because tread was much closer match. Don't be a crying to your Mama wimp about this and go for it.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
JW(Nor-Cal) Wrote:

These are the same guys who think nothing about overloading the
crap outa their bike and think nothing of it.
Are the guys you refering to the guys using 70 Series tires? I originaly
thought you were knocking the guys using the taller tire, but then you
story ends up you use that tire?

·
Registered
17,039 Posts
In other words, the bead on the Metz tires was different between the two, and the Avons were different between themselves.

Hey Ho Closet Chef. If the WHEELS, that is the RIMS are NOT different from the Valkyrie to the GL1800, then the beads make no nevermind and may not make a difference even if they are different -- more than one way t' skin cats. Odds are the rim geometry is the same. Go back to the stock room and eyeball the rims.

G1NOMAD;

a 70 series tire, all other aspects held constant, IS the taller as compared to a 60 series tire; an 80 series would be taller yet.

The Fitmet guides I have seen from Bridgestone and Dunlop list HIGHER weight ratings and HIGHER speed rating for the Valk tires. Go figgure?!?!? I would like to review the Avon fitmet charts since their Valk tire is said to be stiffer in teh wall than the other brands.

prs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts