GL1800Riders Forums banner

Rear Tire Guard

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  GL03 
#1 ·
Howdy, came across this rear tire guard item. It is an aluminum fender that extends down from behind the centerstand. The gentleman who makes it claims no more flat tires since installing it. Ordered one $100. Wondering if anyone has seen it. Has 3 1/2 inch road clearance. www.roadtripessentials.com

#4 ·
There was another thread about this on one of the boards. One person claims that the first ride after installing the deflector he picked up a piece of metal off of the road that ruined his rear tire. He felt that it was actually caused by the deflector and was obviously not a happy customer.

Since I can not recall who posted this or where consider it gossip for what it is worth.

#5 ·
A very old trick is to put a long mud flap behind the front wheel, about 90% of flat tires are on the rear, the theory is that the front tire kicks something up and then the rear tire runs over it.

Some have done a mud flap in front of the rear tire, they set them up to almost drag on the ground, as little clearance as possible, and they are made of something flexible. Front tire kicks it up, then the rear deflector sends it off to the side.

You mentioned a 3.5" clearance above the road, IMHO that essentially renders the item useless, it's too far off the road, 99% of the road debris that causes rear flats will easily pass under their deflector.

#7 ·
On my last bike I only got one flat in 79,000 miles. I attribute that good luck to the presence of deer whistles. The deer whistles also prevented 100% of the deer problems. :lol:

No really, I can't imagine the $100 mid-MC debris modulator being very effective, at least not more effective than my deer whistles were.

I do have a question about the presence of this item being located mid-MC. In July, I was riding back roads in GA behind a car at a responsible distance, . He saw a small dead deer on the road and simply stratled it with no change of course. So, of course, I rode right over it, since that was a better option than hitting the car coming the other direction or heading for the drainage ditch.

Oh, here's the question, what would the effect of this $100 piece of aluminum have been?

#8 ·
Well as far as hopping over a carcuas, one was broke going over a racoon, and another over a high speed bump. Think it was a racoon. Other then that, no other statements made about it. At worse it would just brake off at the side arm mount. Seems to me if you cannot move, to the visibility of the road, your to close!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.