GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for info on running a rear tire on the front of my CSC trike.

I know a lot ofyou run the Michelin Pilot Activ tire mounted reversed, what size do you use??

Has anyone used a different rear tire on the front of the trike??

Thanks

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
KY, I can never remember the tire size, but it is the same size as the OEM tire, but it a bias tire, not radial as the OEM..I will take a guess that it is a 130 70 16 or 18...rear tire, not a front tire as one might expect. I try not to cloud my mind with details of little value to me at any given time. Anyway, as I have said before, this is what Motor Trike installs on wheel upgrades when you order one of their kits...they install them reverse rotation.. earlier someone had talked to a Michelin tech and they explained why the reverse rotation. Anyhow, I have over 11K on the tire and it shows little or no wear and no cupping...runs like a hose, as they say. I run 41# as suggested and love the way it handles...I don't have a rake kit on it, but thinking of getting one. :D

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
KY,

I am about to mount my new Pilot Activ in the next day or two while I have it tore down for fork spring replacement, along with other things that I have the parts for. I am mounting a 1500 rear tire in reverse 130/70X18 Bias.

I looked high and low for an old style Avon Roadster like I had on my 750 years and years ago. It was a flat faced tire, and would be perfect for a Trike. Alas they don't make the flat face any longer.

With the limited clearance I don't know what other size tire would fit under the finder. Them suckers are close in there.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys
I'll go with the Michelin also, going to a chrome wheel and though I'd change the trie while it down and cold outside :lol:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
rear tire on front

I have installed two Brigstones BT45 with backward roation in CSC trikes and they both loved them.

G

·
Frank,

Have you worn out your OEM tire already?

I met the Michelin reps at the Hoot last year and this is the scoop from them.

Pilot Activ rear 130/70-18 mounted in reverse rotation.

If you have any questions call:

Michelin Consumer Relations Cycle Group

1-800-346-4098

If you put the Activ rear side-by-side with a front tire, you will see immediately by the tread pattern why you should mount in reverse. It has to do with construction (acceleration vs. deceleration) and water dispersal.

I gotta tell you the rest of the story though.

When I triked, I had them put on a Metzeler ME880. This was a much smoother riding, better handling tire (much stickier) than the Michelin. On our timed run on the Dragon last June, the Metz was smoking at the end, but it stuck like glue on the curves. I haven't ridden the Dragon that hard with the Michelin. Yet.

But - at 7000 miles, the Metz was low on tread and it was time to replace it. The Activ now has over 8000 miles on it and still looks like new. It does have a buzz between ~ 26-35 mph, does not ride as smooth or handle as well (it doesn't have the same secure sticky feel in hard curves), but the Metz cost me $175 and the Activ cost $140 and will last 2-3-4 times as long. So - since I don't ride the Dragon every day, and I don't cruise between 26-35 much, I'll stay with the Activ, mainly for the cost savings.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Don is 100% correct with his answer. Always mount a rear tire reversed & then the tread pattern will be the same as a front tire tread pattern. Michelin told me the same thing a few years ago. Holly is on her second rear tire mounted on the front with NO problems.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don, no I haven't worn it out yet :lol: :lol:

I going to get a chrome front wheel and thought while I was at it I'd put on a better front tire. I found the Michelin tire for 78.00 in size 130/70H-18 Rear. This is the size we use, correct...? Thought it was a good price.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Yepp its being mounted as I type.

I think that's what I paid for mine and 10 to ship. I got mine from Ron Ayers, they had a grand sale last month and maybe this on tires. Some knock down prices.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, Ron Ayers is where I found it at that price....gotta order one tonight..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks George for the link and beastie for the Michilin 800 #

I've been running a Michilin Macadam (sp ?) for slightly over 16,000 miles and the tread is not too bad but am getting a more violent wobble than usual (mechanic said i'ts because the tread is worn flat across rather than rounded as a motorcycle tire is supposed to be from a 2 wheeler)

Under 40 mph the usual wobble is there but now is considerably more pronounced

I just got quotes
Elite 3 $132.00
D250 $127.75
Michilin M50-06 $112.71
Metzler 110-13141 $125.38

Labor $35.00
Tire disposal $2.00

I'm going to call Michilin and check if the Pilot Activ will give as good of mileage as the Macadam

If so I'm going to see if that sale is still on

Gary

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Gary, I have 12K on my Michelin Pilot Activ and it looks like new. No cupping, vibration or wobble. Runs like a hose. It is mounted reverse rotation...if you look at my front tire you will see there is a lot of tread on the ground....as this is a bias tire, not radial...

I suggest that Michelin will tell you not to put a rear tire on a front wheel due to their liability issues. FYI: Motor Trike installs this tire on the front wheel when you buy the upgraded wheel. They recommend 41# air.

Try it, you will like it.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just ordered one from Ayers.

89.00 shipped, not bad.

I'll have it mounted when I get my chrome front wheel....

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
KYBLUE said:
Just ordered one from Ayers.

89.00 shipped, not bad.

I'll have it mounted when I get my chrome front wheel....

Thanks, KY Blue,

MY previous Pilot Active tire cost me $105 + $17.50 shipping, you just saved me some serious bucks, thanks. I just ordered a tire from Ron Ayers.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
George Lewis said:
Gary, I have 12K on my Michelin Pilot Activ and it looks like new. No cupping, vibration or wobble. Runs like a hose. It is mounted reverse rotation...if you look at my front tire you will see there is a lot of tread on the ground....as this is a bias tire, not radial...

I suggest that Michelin will tell you not to put a rear tire on a front wheel due to their liability issues. FYI: Motor Trike installs this tire on the front wheel when you buy the upgraded wheel. They recommend 41# air.

Try it, you will like it.
Hello George,

I spoke to a Michelin Factory Rep in person at Honda Hoot in June of '05, and Michelin supports the use of a rear tire in the front. However he made it very clear that if you do, it should be installed in reverse rotation.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I stand corrected and am glad I am doing it the right way...reverse rotation. 12K on the tire and it looks new...

·
Registered
76 Posts
You sold me - - will order my tire tomorrow

Gary

1 - 20 of 22 Posts