GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CSC suggested 28 psi for the rear tires on my 2007 Cobra. Let me start by saying that I weigh 135 pounds stripped. With full leathers on, I ride in them all the time, I think that it's about 150 pounds. I ride solo all the time. My SO has her own 02. I tow a kwik kamp trailer most of the summer and am not opposed to changing the pressure to accomodate the extra 50# tounge weight.

I went down to 25 psi and the tires still showed most wear in the center. Now at 23 psi and it appears to be getting better. Very hard to tell although I am using a digital caliper. Have to start checking at the same spot on the tire to really know what is going on.

My question what is the lowest pressure I can use and still be safe going down the road. I have a tire pressure/temperature monitor and saw very little temperature increase on a recent 2500 mile trip.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Lots of debate and differing opinions on this one Ted. At the risk of fending off firey darts.......................... no lower than 26 and no higher than 28. A tire that is too soft does not a smooth ride make!

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
This is from the MT Maintenance Sheet that comes with their kit. With a range from 18 to 25. I settled on 24 for all around riding, and it seems to be working well for me.
Tire pressure for general riding should be 18-24# depending on geographic locations, and road conditions. Use 22-25# for long interstate trips. Over inflation of the rear tires will prematurely wear out the center of the tire.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If 23# is getting better, sounds like to me your going the right direction. We settled on 22# on the rear tires and we keep it there for everything. Riding single, double, trailer or no trailer :shrug:. It works for us, and we like the ride. :lol:

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
If 23# is getting better, sounds like to me your going the right direction. We settled on 22# on the rear tires and we keep it there for everything. Riding single, double, trailer or no trailer :shrug:. It works for us, and we like the ride. :lol:
Well the only way to be sure is for me to take her for a 2,000 mile test ride to the Rockies...............oh say June 20th or so? I could report back to the board and we'd be forever in your debt?:bow:

·
Registered
139 Posts
The Trike Shop recommended I use 36 all tires.

B

·
0 Posts
I talked to the guy that designed the Cobra and he said "22-26, but never lower than 18." That's why I kept the rear tires on my Cobra at 24.

·
Registered
337 Posts
We run 22# in the rears of our Hannigan. Experimented with many combinations and this one seems best. Run a Pilot Activ in the front at 41#

Maybe Bobinpc runs higher pressure due to (seems to me) low profile tires?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Lehman recommends 26 on the sticker in the trunk. The dealer when he serviced the trike dropped them to 23 and said 26 is too high. The tires will wear more even at 23 and the trike will ride better. And it does.

·
Registered
973 Posts
2002 GL1800 w/Champion conversion and we use 16-18PSI in the rear tires all the time. Seldom have a passenger as it is the wife's ride. Even with a cargo trailer attached we run 16-18PSI and with about 30,000 miles on the these rear tires they are wearing quite evenly. The ride is smooth and surprisingly the tires don't "roll-over" as much as you might think with hard cornering.
We ran the last tires at 20-22 psi and after 24,000 miles the center of the tread was worn to the wear bars.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well the only way to be sure is for me to take her for a 2,000 mile test ride to the Rockies...............oh say June 20th or so? I could report back to the board and we'd be forever in your debt?:bow:
Goodness, I wish you had :call: earlier. My wife has already got her trike obligated to be in the Smokies June 20th. Go figure you two wanting to use it @ the same time :shock:. Some kind of a little get together going on down there. Probably 10/12 bikes!!! ;) For the sake of your report, if you can find a way down to those mountains, you can for sure ride it while I'm there and decide for yourself just how good it rides w/22lbs. of air. Anything to enlighten a fellow tricker. :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts