GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a 5 hour ride this past Sunday two up with temps in the mid 90's. Before leaving I checked my tire air pressures and the rear tire had 41 pounds cold. During the ride I noticed the rear tire pressure got as high as 50 pounds. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Is there a readout on the dash option indicating tire pressure? I have only noticed the tire pressure icon.
I think that only the Tour models have the Tire pressure gauge display.

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
I have experimented a lot on the tire air pressure and I think the manual recommends 39/41.

For me backing the cold air pressure down to 38/38 makes the ride so much smoother

·
Registered
153 Posts
The side wall of the flexes and generates heat in the tire causing the air to expand and the pressure to increase.
On really cols days Ive the rear pressure was as low as 32" after 4 0r 5 or 6 mile the pressure is up to 38 psi , after 10 miles the pressure is up to 42'
This has been happening for years , only we now have a TPMS that we are aware of the phenomenon .
Now you know why Honda and especially Harley dont have oil pressure gages, riders would freak out, when the oil pressure drops.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Yes it's normal for the pressures to increase when ridden. What surprised me was how quick they go up.

Always remember that Honda and the tire manufacturers know this when they established the cold pressure recommendations (36F 41R).

No need to second guess the recommendations.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have experimented a lot on the tire air pressure and I think the manual recommends 39/41.

For me backing the cold air pressure down to 38/38 makes the ride so much smoother

Is that riding single, unloaded?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
As said it is normal. On a side note, my GSA gives a conversion so that the display reads what the pressure would be at 'cold' temperature, not sure why BMW does this, perhaps so people won't freak out if they see a pressure of 50.

·
Registered
2019 GL1800
73 Posts
I have a 19 Tour and have only noticed the TPMS icon turn on a couple cold mornings. Have not noticed a way to actually read the pressure on my display. How do I activate that function, if it exists?

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
I have a 19 Tour and have only noticed the TPMS icon turn on a couple cold mornings. Have not noticed a way to actually read the pressure on my display. How do I activate that function, if it exists?
On the centre console, press the SEL (select?) button and move the little cursor arrow on the info screen on the lhs of dash to the bottom information row,
Then press the set button.
Screen info will step thru front pressure, rear pressure and approx fuel range.

These can be changed while in motion.

The bike has to get up to speed to 'wake' the sensors for a reading after it has been sitting.

The other 3 info lines can similarly be toggled to display alternate information.

Top row - cruise set speed or air temp
2nd row - odometer or tripmeter A or tripmeter B
3rd row - fuel range, front tire press, rear tire press

(B model wings do not display tire pressure)

Starts on page 34 in the operators manual :wink2:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Went for a 5 hour ride this past Sunday two up with temps in the mid 90's. Before leaving I checked my tire air pressures and the rear tire had 41 pounds cold. During the ride I noticed the rear tire pressure got as high as 50 pounds. Is this normal?
Yes this is normal. My rear pressure goes up 8 pounds once warmed up.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

Yes it is very normal. As the tire heats up the air expands thus increasing the pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Yes it is , I've been running 32 F, 36 R for years, in a few miles they are up to the normal cold setting, give it a try.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Adding a bit here even though it has been answered.

Honda and the tire manufacturers give us a cold number knowing what it will get up to when hot. That 50 is what they want us to run at when warmed up. So working as intended.

A related tidbit of info. When I run my sport bike at the track I start out with 23 pounds front and rear cold. When I get off the track they are in the mid 30's. They get so hot you can't really touch them. The target hot temp is low for extra grip, not worried about tire life at all.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts