GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I read a thread recently about tires after a certain time needed to be changed. Bike was converted Aug. of 2014, since then we have put around 10,000 miles on it since then. The trike stays inside except when we ride. Should I be concerned about the tires because of age and not wear?

·
Registered
739 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Go dark side and put motorcycle tires on it!!! Just kidding. But one rider up here shopped for replacement tires for his trike that had rounded edges on them. He says they run quieter (I told him it was just because they are new, he doesn’t think so) and that he is able to run softer (air pressure) for more cush while underway. They look nice. Not remembering what brand/model he bought right now.
As far as questioning the integrity of your current tires, I personally would replace them if the are getting hard or cracked, or of course worn out. I sure wouldn’t wait until they were worn out. New rubber on the road is cheap insurance. New stems too! Metal ones are nice.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Goldie,
I have to "thank you" for posting this information......Looks like I'm going to change the four tires on my wife's 2006 Jeep as well.......... (y) :love:

Ronnie
Ok looking for tires and nobody seems to have this size, they are running between $350 to $550. Got Kumohos on the trike what kind are you guys running?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I happened to like the tires Roadsmith put on my kit. Found the exact tire at Walmart. Don't recall the cost but was very reasonable.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Ok looking for tires and nobody seems to have this size, they are running between $350 to $550. Got Kumohos on the trike what kind are you guys running?
What size tire are they?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The nice think about trike tires are that they are actually car tires so they can be done at a car tire place. When I did mine, I jacked up the trike, removed the rear wheels and brought them to a place to be done. For mounting and balancing a set of Goodyear Eagles at a NTB was right around $200 out the door. Take a look at some choices here:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
And JMHO, I would avoid Ohtsu tires. Those came on mine with conversion and were a problem. I know several others that also had problems with theirs as well. And also avoid any run flats. Although they seem like a great idea,, the sidewalls are just too firm and you won't like the feel. But that still leaves many more choices well under the $350-550 you were seeing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And JMHO, I would avoid Ohtsu tires. Those came on mine with conversion and were a problem. I know several others that also had problems with theirs as well. And also avoid any run flats. Although they seem like a great idea,, the sidewalls are just too firm and you won't like the feel. But that still leaves many more choices well under the $350-550 you were seeing.
Need to do the front also don't I?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Probably a wise choice. I'm sure that front tire is going to be older than the tires on your rear conversion if it hasn't been changed since conversion was done.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The best choice for the front would be the Avon Cobra Chrome Trike tire AV-91 but it is a bit pricey and seems to be out of stock at most places. But if you find one, make sure it's a "TRIKE" and not just the regular Cobra Chrome.I got lucky and got in on a rollback at Walmart last year and it only cost me $85. That will be getting installed sometime in the next couple months as my front is worn down.

A great substitute which I have been using for last several years is the Michelin Pilot Activ tire. It is a rear tire but gets mounted on your front rim. I found it at a decent price here and they have stores that will mount the tire for you: Michelin Pilot Activ Tire | 38% ($84.68) Off! - RevZilla
Or just buy and take front wheel to your favorite motorcycle shop.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
The best choice for the front would be the Avon Cobra Chrome Trike tire AV-91 but it is a bit pricey and seems to be out of stock at most places. But if you find one, make sure it's a "TRIKE" and not just the regular Cobra Chrome.I got lucky and got in on a rollback at Walmart last year and it only cost me $85. That will be getting installed sometime in the next couple months as my front is worn down.

A great substitute which I have been using for last several years is the Michelin Pilot Activ tire. It is a rear tire but gets mounted on your front rim. I found it at a decent price here and they have stores that will mount the tire for you: Michelin Pilot Activ Tire | 38% ($84.68) Off! - RevZilla
Or just buy and take front wheel to your favorite motorcycle shop.
I second this answer... very good tire (also as mentioned /make sure it's a TRIKE tire (it should be written trike on the side wall) This tire has a flat bottom/not round

Ronnie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts