GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 1st flat in 8 years and read the manual on rear tire removal for my '07 GL1800 Airbag. If I use the book method it'll involve putting the bike onto the centre stand and taking off the rear panel, trailer hitch assembly, seat, and receiver unit that is buried in there. I remember reading how some riders have tipped the GL1800 onto it's side (right side?), removed the 5 lug nuts (which are facing up?), then slipped the tire out from beneath the fender.
I'd appreciate hearing from riders who have actually used this method, especially if they had to contend with a trailer hitch assembly, and if they carry special tools to do the job. Any special cautions or alerts?:cool:

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Nope. That's the way I do mine. I have an '06 with a hitch installed and with the amp in the way as well as the hitch (not to mention having to remove the rear fender), I just lay it over on the right side and slide the wheel right out. Nothing to it.

·
15 year Member
6,869 Posts
I've had my 1st flat in 8 years and read the manual on rear tire removal for my '07 GL1800 Airbag. If I use the book method it'll involve putting the bike onto the centre stand and taking off the rear panel, trailer hitch assembly, seat, and receiver unit that is buried in there. I remember reading how some riders have tipped the GL1800 onto it's side (right side?), removed the 5 lug nuts (which are facing up?), then slipped the tire out from beneath the fender.
I'd appreciate hearing from riders who have actually used this method, especially if they had to contend with a trailer hitch assembly, and if they carry special tools to do the job. Any special cautions or alerts?:cool:
Just make sure when you kick your wing over to change the tire you kick it onto its right side......

Hello local Dealership........

Matt(BCNV) :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I used my Sears jack and raised the bike a few inches and removed the wheel by tilting it sideways and slipped it out the side. No need to remove any plastic. My only problem was finding a torque wrench that would go to 90 ft lbs.

Walt

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
It works for me. Just use the precautions mentioned earlier in this thread.

Here's a picture:

I use the grass as that's what's available for me.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It works for me. Just use the precautions mentioned earlier in this thread.

Here's a picture:

I use the grass as that's what's available for me.
Tim, are you sure you didn't just ride 'er down to that position?;):razz:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Tim looks to me like you may need to do a little extra cleaning while you have that good cleaning angle on her! :shrug: No? hehehe
I too have changed a rear tire this way with no problems at all.

Shadow1

Hal

·
Registered
184 Posts
On my '08 Airbag, with Kury tow-hitch, same procedure here... I put an old blanket down in the parking spot on 'er right side, broke the lugs loose, gently laid her down, had tire changed, then reversed the process.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I tipped it over once to change tires and didn't like it. When I pulled the wheel out the rear of the bike laid down farther and it was real hard to pull the tire out and put the new one in. Have heard if you put your center stand down and jack the center stand up while it is laid over it cures this problem. I was by myself and it was really hard to take the tire off and put the new one on. At the time I didn't know about the jack thing so don't know how well that works. I always take the rear fender and tow hitch off now as It's real easy on my 03 and not sure about the stresses put on the frame when you lay it over. Probably ok but for me it's no big thing taking the rear fender and 4 bolts to take the rear part of the tow hitch off.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I've changed 3 or 4 tires out by laying bike on right side. If you have full gas tank it will leak some if it's on it's side a while.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
:eek:4::eek:4::eek:4::eek:4: however i find it very interesting and i think i will try it the next time i have to change my tire

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I have done the tip-over method and will do it again.

·
Registered
164 Posts
OK how are you guys lowering the bike on to it's right side by yourself??
Or do you have a helper?? Do you lower it with your back turned to the bike and do the standard procedure opposite of raising the bike? How long can you safely lay it on its side without oil migrating into the cylinders or is this even a concern? I'd have to leave it on its side probably 2-4 hours while waiting for the tire changeover, traveling etc. My buddy does it on his sears bike lift but has to jack the bike as far as it will go and then slides the wheel out from the "right side" of the bike. Easier this way because of the rotor and final drive in the way I suppose. But he's nervous about having it jacked way up and the thought of it wobbling around freaks him out a bit. Like the lay over method, sounds quicker and maybe even safer than jacking her all the way up. Soon I'll have to pick one of the ways, tire getting down.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
jmd10259 - now that thar is a mighty purty bike youz got!

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I take the right kury peg off and just push it over!:22yikes: I cover the front and rear Chrome bars with a 1 1/2 rubber hose to protect! Anyway, yes "I just push it over". Standing her back up is a different project. I haven't figured out how to push her back over to the side stand! She's a heavy one but doable!

·
Registered
554 Posts
+1 for the tipover method :agree:

·
Registered
554 Posts
+1 for the tipover method :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I used my Sears jack and raised the bike a few inches and removed the wheel by tilting it sideways and slipped it out the side. No need to remove any plastic. My only problem was finding a torque wrench that would go to 90 ft lbs.

Walt
:agree: Same here. I used the tip over method once and did not like seeing my bike down like that. I loosen the lugs, put the bike on my Kobalt lift, (same as the Craftsman lift) tie her down when I get it as high as I want it, and just drop the tire straight down and out. No removal of plastic, hitch, amplifier, or anything else except the 5 lugs! I love this lift! And by the way Walt...check the manual. Lugs tighten to 80 ft lbs not 90 ft lbs.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Walt...check the manual. Lugs tighten to 80 ft lbs not 90 ft lbs.
Your absolutely correct. I don't know how the 90 ft/lbs got stuck in my mind. I guess I should have checked the manual before posting. :oops:

Walt

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
IF I had a hitch or the wheel well mounted amplifier; then the lay-over method would be my choice. Some folks do notice that the tire is still in contact with the floor and in a bind making removal and remount harder. Not sure why some bikes do that, mine comes to rest with the wheel/tires completely off the ground and its easy -- but so is removing the rear center section.

prs

1 - 20 of 58 Posts