GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove my rear tire, take it to the dealer and have them mount the new tire, then reinstall. Anyone got a step by step or video that will help me on my 1800 - first time I am going this route.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
For your '07, you can lay the bike over on the right side and take it off that way. You can also use a motorcycle jack to raise the bike.

There is also this way, but I would be EXTREMELY careful doing it this way: http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203533

The problem with the '06 and newer bikes is the placement of the audio amp. On the older model bikes, you could just slide the wheel out the rear. But with that audio amp in the way, it's easier to go another route.

I prefer to lay the bike over. Quick and painless.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
You can still roll the tire out the back of the bike you just have to unplug the amp before removing the rear fender.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
You can still roll the tire out the back of the bike you just have to unplug the amp before removing the rear fender.
Yeah, right! Good luck trying to do that...unplug the amp BEFORE removing the rear fender! :roll:

And there is a lot more to it than just "unplugging" the amp. Been there, done that. It's a PITA!!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dont unplug the amp. Just bungee it up and out of the way. Works for me. :thumbup:

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you haved soft dirt and a piece of 3/4" plywood you can dig a hole about a foot deep and position the bike on the centerstand at the edge. The rear wheel needs enough clearance to drop straight down. I just use a 2 by2 in the spokes to lock the wheel when loostening and tightening the lugnuts. Remember, you do not want the bike to rock forward at all during this.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
wow
The laying on its right side is Soooooooooo Easy, it also lets you practice lifting your bike.
All this Diggin hole, pulling out the jack just reeks of effort.
One thing I will add to this proceedure is if you have lowered Pegs take the right peg off or you will break the peg off.
Or just set some scrap 2x4s under the Crash bars.
I'm pretty lazy and this is the easier than gettin it up on a full motorcycle lift.
My old boss use to call me creatively lazy. I always try to find the easiest way to do something.
But look them all over and pick what you think might work best for you.
what was this post about?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If you haved soft dirt and a piece of 3/4" plywood you can dig a hole about a foot deep and position the bike on the centerstand at the edge. The rear wheel needs enough clearance to drop straight down. I just use a 2 by2 in the spokes to lock the wheel when loostening and tightening the lugnuts. Remember, you do not want the bike to rock forward at all during this.
Now this I like. Good inguinity. Get a little exercise too. You must be part Hillbilly like me.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Lay over?

Could anyone take a picture of how the wing makes contact with the ground when you lay it on the right. Turns out, I avoid laying the bike over if at all possible. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Could anyone take a picture of how the wing makes contact with the ground when you lay it on the right. Turns out, I avoid laying the bike over if at all possible. :thumbup:
:agree: I'm not fond or laying it over (on purpose) either. And, the tire won't just slide out, some of the weight of the bike is still on it and you have to wrangle with it. Getting the wheel off is much easier than putting it on, that's for sure. And, I don't think I'd like my wing snoozin on her side for two days waiting on a tire change. And you can show me all the videos you want of people uprighting the bike alone - I value my discs and vertebrae more than a few minutes extra doing it on the center stand. Sciatica anyone?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Laying bike on right side

Not sure if this shows you what you're looking for but it worked fine for me. I had some interlocking rubber mats that I laid the bike on. The only thing that touched down was the front case guard and the rear bag guard and maybe the right foot peg. I did need help holding the bike up slightly to remove and re-install the tire.

jb

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have an 02, so I don't have this problem, but my friend with an 06 or 07?? backs the bike with his rear wheel past a curb on his driveway and gets the wheel off that way. Works if you have a curb and don't want to lay the bike down; scary, but not as scary as doing it while it's moving!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Removing rear tire...

I recently replaced my first set of tires. Wish I had been reading this forum before I bought another set of Dunlops... I had the bike on a flat surface, removed the back fender, the bracket, and took loose the audio amp, then was just able to work the amp & inner fender out of the way together. I like the 2 x 2 idea, for holding the wheel from turning, too.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I guess it was pointless for me to provide the same link in my first post.

Does anyone actually READ other peoples posts before making their own? For the most part, I would say NO! :roll:
They're probably just trying to get their numbers up?! :shrug:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Removing Rear Tire

Get a pitbull lift. Put it up in the air and have someone hold the rear brake take a braker barr with a six point socket loosen the nuts take nuts the rest of the way off pull tire and wheel down and pull back. Put antsieze on the studs. Put new wheel and tire on put one lug nut on then the rest hand tight. Use a torque wrench set to forty lb. tighten untill it click then reset it to 80 lb and tighten it untill it clicks. Make sure that the area that the wheel goes on is clean before you put new wheel on. This is only if you have a different wheel and tire. If not let bike set on lift untill you get back. If you decide to lay on side make sure that you don't have much gas in the tank. Or for about 20.. the bike shop will do it for you. This takes around 20 min. to take off and put on if you don't hurry.:cool:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts