GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 Wing with 14,000 miles will be needing new tires soon, and I was needing information about replacing the rear tire with an oversize, Avon 200/60VR16? First will this tire clear the swing arm, or is there a better/different application needed.:?: I will use the standard size tire on front.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I know a 195/55/16 car tyre goes in with no problems but not sure about the 200/60/16 mc tyre hopfully someone here knows

Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
A 205 rubs the swing arm just a bit. Tough call on a 200, might just work.

·
Registered
973 Posts
A car 205/55 will not rub on the swing arm while some car 205/60's do rub and other 205/60's do not. A 200/60 motorcycle tire has a good chance of fitting without rubbing on the swing arm. On some GL1800's the 205 car tires have clearance issues with the plastic inner fender on the left side. Due to it's width, a 200/60 motorcycle tire may have the same clearance issue. This inner fender appears to be there to protect a group of wires. On the bikes that have a clearance issue those wires can be tied back using plastic zipties. Whether the tire rubs there or not depends on how neatly the wires were installed at at the facatory.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I chased up a few specs

The avon cobra 200/60/16 is 196mm wide might fit :lol:

The bridgstone bt-020 200/60/16 is 206mm wide :?: :cry:

Metz make a 200/60/16 matrohon but no listing on how wide

Its going to be a expensive experiment i think :twisted:

Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
My 2008 Wing with 14,000 miles will be needing new tires soon, and I was needing information about replacing the rear tire with an oversize, Avon 200/60VR16? First will this tire clear the swing arm, or is there a better/different application needed.:?: I will use the standard size tire on front.
What's the goal? Using a wider tire will create more leverage on the side of the tire when one side of the tire is supported such as riding in a rut. It also increases the amount of effort required for steering. Darksiders have documented this in detail.

I've recently switched from using 195 and 205 car tires to a 175/60R16. The steering input and need for increased steering effort is gone.

The 200 MT will be rounded but you will still have more leverage out there. I'm not sure what you would gain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all information submitted concerning using an oversize tire on the rear of the bike, would it fit, etc. Now to answer the question WHY?
With the event of needing tire replacement soon, I considered a larger tire footprint for wet weather riding, and for more efficient braking. Now would be the appropriate time to make the change if there is enough room for the oversize tire. I'm new with operating the 1800, but I didn't want to pass up the possibility of gaining more knowledge as too what other operators are gaining with their modes operation. I totally understand that in most situations that deviations to Honda's specifications can cause less than desireable riding/handling charastics, however there are some opportunities with the vast knowledge of 1800 riders/operators that can also improve the riding'handling charastics of the bike. Just wanted too know what the experts with vast amounts of 1800 care and riding were doing. The Chief thanks you again:yes1:.........

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
No tire manufacturer will recommend that you put a 200 tire on your GL1800. The rim is too narrow for the ideal inflation/profile of a 200 and the tire will be "pinched." I can verify that if you mount on your wing rim a 200/60-16 Metz, you'll have a tire that is 193.67mm or 7.625 inches wide at its widest point. Since it is an MC tire, mind you, that will be at its widest point and unlike a CT the width falls off quickly from there.

That will give you some idea. Compare with your current tire's actual width and you will be able to gauge if a 200 will fit. It's "pinched" in the small rim so it will also ride a bit "tall" as well (a little taller than an extra half inch).

I had a 200 mounted on my VTX and found that it improved handling because it reduced trail in the font end & take off traction was excellent. That X just loved to spin the rear tire which stopped with the 200. After that, it was nuthin' but GO!

Documented HERE.

·
Registered
748 Posts
tire

I haven't tried any wider tires, but is there an issue where you can't get the wheel mounted, because you can't move the wheel far enough to the left to get the wheel up and slipped onto the studs?

And am I current that the GL OEM wheel is a 5 Inch wheel?

Anyway, good luck and keep us informed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts