GL1800Riders Forums banner

Rear tire sliding out during curve

2K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  Roadrat 
#1 ·
Lately, while taking curves on the highway, my rear tire tends to feel like it is either sliding or about to. I caught my rear tire sliding once, I attributed it to very light salt or gravel on the road, the road was not that heavily traveled so it made sense. I used to ride off-road a lot, so it didn't phase me. I keep a very sharp eye on the road for gravel but nothing jumped out at me.

Later that same day, I was taking the exit ramp from I-495 onto I-95S in Springfield, VA, staying with traffic (probably near 65 to 70 mph). Again, I felt the rear tire begin to lose traction - it never let go, but it just gave me the feeling... so I backed off the throttle and shifted lanes into the slower lane.

In the next few days I felt the rear tire again feel like it was about to go "dirt track" on me. I checked the tread, it was good. I slowed down a few times to check for actual salt, gravel, dirt, dust, moon dust, anything - nothing substantial. There is a slight... filth on everything, the area hasn't had a hard rain since the last snow.

Hossman and I got to talking about this and we think it is the road grime from the recent snows. I have also stopped accelerating through my turns as aggressively as I have in the past.

Has anyone else had this problem?

See less See more
#2 ·
Pollen? It is springtime.

Low air pressure? The tire could be wallowing on you a little and feel like it's slipping.

High air pressure? Tire actually slipping.

My guesses.

#5 ·
I bet you have a Dunlop D250 on the rear. They are notorious for this. Replace them with Metzler, Bridgestones, or Avons as soon as possible.
:agree:When I had my D250 on the rear it wanted to step out on me everytime I hit it hard in a corner. One day it came close to high-siding me. The new Stone grips much better, but I doubt I will get 14000 miles out of this one.:lol:

#8 ·
I have a tire suggestion, but I'm not supposed to talk about it here.:roll:

I would probably say it's a light sanding issue from the wind. It would take sand to make a bike as heavy as the wing begin to slide....I guess the only advice I could offer is....don't lean! :lol:

#10 ·
I bet you have a Dunlop D250 on the rear. They are notorious for this. Replace them with Metzler, Bridgestones, or Avons as soon as possible.
Thats what I was thinking when I read this too. After riding any other tire the D250 feels like a wagon wheel.

#11 ·
Kinda depends on how hard you push it, I used to make the big girl step out on purpose. These days I rarely ride the Wing that hard. But the comment about 250's is correct, they slip easily whether wet or dry. Also I noticed for lack of a better term "salt dust" all over and it's slickish. Also around here they mix a ground up gray gravelish substance with the salt and it stays on the roads for quite a while. It's been raining the last couple of days so hopefully it's all washed off.

#12 ·
This happened to me recently, both tires had about 25 lbs in them.:22yikes:

#14 ·
All the above. :agree: If you have D 250's and they are half gone I would suggest making them just GONE. Lots of things can happen when any of them sit for a while so if she has been garaged and all of a sudden this is happening no matter what brand of rubber your running should be replaced. Cords and belts can give up over time in any of them.

#15 ·
Rear tire is Elite E3.

Pressure just clocked in at 38, two pounds lower than I want, so I pumped it up.

I rode through the winter, commuted 13 to 15 miles, depending on my route. I didn't ride in the snow, freezing rain, otherwise I rode most of the winter.

I stopped at the one curve tonight, it was raining lightly, but the runoff water was not clear, it had a milky look to it. In the past month or so they have salted the heck out of the roads but not much snow.

I'll see how the roads feel after this rain...

#16 ·
I do not know if Dunslip has improved the E-3 or not since I first used them; but early in their life they seemed to grip a whole lot better than they did after about 3 or 4 thousand miles. Then, they got really slick, especially when gunning it out of corners.

prs

#20 ·
Rear tire is Elite E3.

Pressure just clocked in at 38, two pounds lower than I want, so I pumped it up.

I rode through the winter, commuted 13 to 15 miles, depending on my route. I didn't ride in the snow, freezing rain, otherwise I rode most of the winter.

I stopped at the one curve tonight, it was raining lightly, but the runoff water was not clear, it had a milky look to it. In the past month or so they have salted the heck out of the roads but not much snow.

I'll see how the roads feel after this rain...
On a recent group ride my dad's bike in front of me was kicking up soooooo much salt brine dust that it looked like he was going down a dirt road. The center of the rear wheel was light gray while the sides where dark gray.
And yes, that stuff is slick :eek:4:

#22 ·
Joel.First of all.I'm glad that you didn't go down when this happens to you.
As you know there are many factors in how or why a tire will slip out from under you in a turn,and I'm glad you explained further in your second post..:thumbup:

Now you know the main reason for me why I run a car tire on my bike..(if this bothers you?-hit the back button)
No one likes having a tire slip out from under them in a turn or anywhere else for that matter..
MT's slipped out from under me,Not one CT has ever done that even once to me!

I had Stones.then a set of E3's,then stones again before I made the rear switch six tires ago..

The Dunlops/Stones I've used all cupped after a few thousand miles.I've seen way to many Metzler's come apart at the seams to ever run one of those crappy tires on my bike.I want the safest tire I can find,and I have!

If these so called tire engineers were so bright,They'd of built a better tire for this heavy of a bike seeing it's been in production for nine years now..Why should they when they have guys who think they are tire Gods now!

Everyone is entitled to there opinion,and you just got mine. :thumbup:

#25 ·
Joel.First of all.I'm glad that you didn't go down when this happens to you.
As you know there are many factors in how or why a tire will slip out from under you in a turn,and I'm glad you explained further in your second post..:thumbup:

Now you know the main reason for me why I run a car tire on my bike..(if this bothers you?-hit the back button)
No one likes having a tire slip out from under them in a turn or anywhere else for that matter..
MT's slipped out from under me,Not one CT has ever done that even once to me!

I had Stones.then a set of E3's,then stones again before I made the rear switch six tires ago..

The Dunlops/Stones I've used all cupped after a few thousand miles.I've seen way to many Metzler's come apart at the seams to ever run one of those crappy tires on my bike.I want the safest tire I can find,and I have!

If these so called tire engineers were so bright,They'd of built a better tire for this heavy of a bike seeing it's been in production for nine years now..Why should they when they have guys who think they are tire Gods now!

Everyone is entitled to there opinion,and you just got mine. :thumbup:
:agree:Mine too.:beer3:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.