GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 8,000 miles on my trike. It came with Goodrich 235 70R 15 rear tires. They show no wear and as they are automobile tires I would think I should get high mileage out of them as the MT and other kits weigh much less than an auto that would use this tire.

I was just wondering...does anyone have any input on rear tire wear? I doubt if there would be any different wear for different brands of trike kits, but with different suspensions, perhaps there is.

G

·
George,

On my CSC, I have Sigma(?) Supreme TR and at almost 9,600 miles they look like new. I've never heard of Sigma tires but they seem to do ok.

FWIW, when I triked, I needed a new front and they put on a Metzeler ME880. At 7000 miles it was shot. On the advice of others here, I put on a Michelin Pilot Activ "rear" mounted in reverse rotation. I only have 2,600 mile on it but it looks like new too. I don't know what you have but the guys who have this tire seem to get a lot of miles out of it. The funny thing is, the Michelin costs less than the Metzeler. I bought the Michelin at a place that is primarily car tires and the Metzeler at my Honda motorcycle dealer.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don, I also have the Michelin Activ reversed. Put it on 200 miles after I triked with the Motor Trike kit. 8000 miles and like new. It is what MT recommends for the front wheel and if you buy an upgrade wheel from them, they put the Michelin on it. They recommend 41# in front and 24-26 in the rear, which is what I do. Seems okay, but I have no experience with any other trike or tires. I did put the air shocks on with an internal compressor to adjust the ride for conditions. Works great when I have a passenger or on twisties...I tighten it on twisties or with passenger and lighten the shocks on interstate or other flat roads...

Never heard of Sigma tires, but if they wear okay...fine...I can't see how I will wear out these Goodrich tires...it will be interesting. Sigma would be made by one of the large manufactures as a private brand. Cooper does that for many retail stores.

G

·
CSC is now putting B. F. Goodrich tires on.

I Googled Sigma and they are made by a private brand company. Thr claim is they are second to none for what that's worth. But they ride and handle fine. If and when they wear out though I won't look for them.

I run the same pressure you do. You should have seen my Metzeler at 7000. I went through the Dunlop tire check at the Hoot and they said, "You need to replace this tire ASAP" Of course they recommended the E3. I had very little tread.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've got the Pilot Active on the front of my CSC with about 15,000 miles. It has lots of tread left, but is cupping bad enough that I can hear and feel it. That's still nearly twice what I got out of a standard 1800 tire. That's pretty good considering a lot of the time I was chasing Beastie (fastest Dragon Trike Rider on record) around the curves.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I recently put a Bridgestone BT-45 rear tire running in reverse rotation on the front of my trike. Don't have many miles on it yet. Will let you know how it holds up.

JJ

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Read a thread (maybe on another board, don't remember) regarding larger tires on rear. Corrects speedo, lowers rpms, and better rider. Anyone know anything about that. Long way from needing near rears, but would consider going that route if works.

Any thoughts??

Larry

·
Registered
195 Posts
I replaced my Michelin rear tires at 21K. I was very close to the TWI bars. I used Goodyear Assurance tires one size taller as replacements. These trikes are prone to hydroplaning with the wide tires on the rear and the Assurance seems to help. Expensive though, even with my discount. The one size taller got the speedo within 3mph of one of those portable radar speed indicator trailers. Still 3mph slow. Not sure I could get another size larger under the wheel wells. I'm on my fourth front tire, original,(3K) M50,(16.5K) BT45(80 series),(16K) and BT45 in 120X90 with about 3.5K on it. To be fair, I ride very aggressively, and have a lot of miles in Arkansas. Whats that got to do with it? Most of their (back) roads have a coarse surface and wear tires quickly, or maybe it has something to do with all of those 10 - 15mph corners!! Whatever, I bought it to ride, tires and gas are just part of it.

Dwight

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Larry, my MT came with Goodrich 235 70R 15 rear tires. As I said, I have 8,200 miles on them and they show no wear. I was riding back from west Texas on IH10W in a hard rain. I did not notice any hydroplaning, not saying there was none, but I was running the speed limit (75 then , now 80) and had no problems other than hard to see in the downpour.

I have a great ride, but do not have any other trike experience to draw from. It could be I have a bad ride and don't know it. If and when, I will replace with the same tires...if it ain't broke, work on it!

Love the trike...it has been flawless. I am still debating on the rake kit. All that have them brag on them...us that don't, don't know...

·
Registered
560 Posts
George,

The rake kit is well worth the money. When I ordered my Champion trike kit I also bought the rake kit but didn't initially install it as I wanted to see what the steering was like without it. It was prtetty hard steering IMO. I then installed the rake kit and it was like adding power steering. Major improvement.

JJ

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
George Lewis said:
Larry, my MT came with Goodrich 235 70R 15 rear tires. As I said, I have 8,200 miles on them and they show no wear. I was riding back from west Texas on IH10W in a hard rain. I did not notice any hydroplaning, not saying there was none, but I was running the speed limit (75 then , now 80) and had no problems other than hard to see in the downpour.

I have a great ride, but do not have any other trike experience to draw from. It could be I have a bad ride and don't know it. If and when, I will replace with the same tires...if it ain't broke, work on it!

Love the trike...it has been flawless. I am still debating on the rake kit. All that have them brag on them...us that don't, don't know...
If you ever get over near the Longview area, just PM me, will be happy to have you ride mine and see if the difference is appreciable.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hi Larry,

Longview, TX......!!!!

Did you get a opportunity to visit the TRI Howdy Rally in Tyler this pasted weekend.

Dean & I were there last year. It was nice (rather small) to see and visit with other trikers. This year being the 2nd annual event should have been a little bigger.

North-East Texas is not that far away, perhaps our paths will cross

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Wilson said:
Hi Larry,

Longview, TX......!!!!

Did you get a opportunity to visit the TRI Howdy Rally in Tyler this pasted weekend.

Dean & I were there last year. It was nice (rather small) to see and visit with other trikers. This year being the 2nd annual event should have been a little bigger.

North-East Texas is not that far away, perhaps our paths will cross
No, in fact I have never heard of it b/4. Be sure and keep me posted and I will make a point to be there next time. Would love to me you both.

Larry

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
TRI (Trike Riders International) is a spin-off of GWRRA (Gold Wing Road Riders Assoc).

The Howdy Rally has been held in Tyler for the last two years conducted by the TRI Regional officers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts