GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently my trike (2008 GL1800, 2013 Motortrike Razor) is in the shop for it's annual "spring tonic". I'm having all three tires replaced.
The rear tires being replaced are Firestone Firehawk 245/45 R17 and they are worn evenly down to the replacement marks but they only have 11214 miles of useage. I was expecting at least twice that. The rear tires that they replaced got just slightly less miles of useage. I check the PSI consistently and I use 24PSI in the rear. I consider myself and my riding style to be normal, not aggressive. I would say about a 3 on a scale of 1 to 5. We do ride two up probably 90% of the time. Mostly US/state/county roads, not a lot of high speed interstate travel.The wear pattern is even across the tread so my mechanic and I have pretty much ruled out alignment issues. Trailer towing for the past year was only about 150 miles, one time.
Anyone have any tips or clues that I might be missing?

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I haven't checked the size of my rear tires lately but they are also 17 inch tires so I'm figuring they are approximately the same size as yours. My trike came with some tire I never hear of so I'm guessing here that it was the cheapest thing the installer could get for it. I got 48K out of them and they weren't worn out as I never wear a tire to the wear bars on anything. I was going on a long trip and figured I had about 5K left on them when I changed them. I run 27 PSI and they wore even. I know have about 35K on my replacements and not sure of the brand but they still look new. BTW I ride a '13 Hannigan if that has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
OP, I believe you are getting way more miles out of your tires than most of us. 😁 I'm not a good example as I ride hard, carry a lot in both trunks, pull a trailer fairly frequently. Anything above 50K would make me very happy. Have never seen that number...:eek:

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've got a 2005 with a MT straight axle kit. I have 151,000 miles on it and last year put the 4th set of rear tires on it.(that's what came on it plus 3 replacements) The originals were only on it for less than 5k. I have NEVER come close to wearing the rear tires out based on tread wear. I have changed tires either because I noticed some cracks between the tread or I was changing wheels and elected to put new tires on as part of that change. I get more mileage on my front tire than you are getting on your rear tire. I didn't think it was possible to wear out a rear tire based on the considerably less weight than an actual car. I run 24lbs in the rear tires. You must have some kind of problem.??

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OP, I believe you are getting way more miles out of your tires than most of us. 😁 I'm not a good example as I ride hard, carry a lot in both trunks, pull a trailer fairly frequently. Anything above 50K would make me very happy. Have never seen that number...:eek:
Am I understanding that you believe 11,214 is "way more miles" than most trikes rear tires are getting?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a 2005 with a MT straight axle kit. I have 151,000 miles on it and last year put the 4th set of rear tires on it.(that's what came on it plus 3 replacements) The originals were only on it for less than 5k. I have NEVER come close to wearing the rear tires out based on tread wear. I have changed tires either because I noticed some cracks between the tread or I was changing wheels and elected to put new tires on as part of that change. I get more mileage on my front tire than you are getting on your rear tire. I didn't think it was possible to wear out a rear tire based on the considerably less weight than an actual car. I run 24lbs in the rear tires. You must have some kind of problem.??
"You must have some kind of problem" is the reason I was looking for possible solutions.
The alignment is good, the weight load is good, the tires have been less expensive and more expensive and that has not seemed to make a difference.
I also note that I got similar mileage on a 2009 RSV Hannigan. I have run 20-22PSI, 36PSI, 24PSI....the mileage remains similar across different trikes and different tire brands.
I really do not know what causes the low mileage.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Am I understanding that you believe 11,214 is "way more miles" than most trikes rear tires are getting?
Missed the comma in original post... NOPE That is less than I get by quite a bit! I usually run up in the upper 20K and lower 30K range.

·
Registered
189 Posts
We run 24 psi in our rear Trike tires too. Ours shows very little if any wear.
We have our trunks close to full and always ride double but my bride only weighs about 130 soaking wet!
Sounds way to little of mileage for having to replace rear tires because of wear.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I get the trike back from the shop with its new tires (front and back) I will be keeping close track of PSI and miles. Hannah is not happy, nor am I, with having to replace all the tires each spring!

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
The Firehawk is a high-performance tire with soft rubber for maximum traction = reduced life. It will wear faster than most tires. Having said that, I have Bridgestone high-performance summer tires on the rear of my trike. I want maximum traction and I don't care too much about wear. Mine have 15,000 miles and do not show any wear yet. So, my take is that either the Firehawk is really soft or you have some kind of problem...although the fact that your wear is even makes me lean toward soft tires.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have used Firestone, Kumho, Hankook and I believe Douglas tires on two different trikes. None of them have achieved even 15,000 miles. The wear pattern has always been pretty even across the tread. On the RSV Hannigan I routinely used 22PSI. On the GL1800 Motortrike (my current trike) I have used 36PSI and 24 PSI. The tires that I am having put on this week are Milestar tires.

·
Registered
722 Posts
You might consider these tires. ZIEX ZE950 A/S TIRE

They came stock on my 2015 Roadsmith HTS1800 Kit. I got 28,613 on the first set and now have a total of nearly 42K on the trike. Will easily go all this year on this set...

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have 30K on my rear tires. Of course they show wear but are no where near the wear bars. The air pressure is 27, I ride alone (wife has her own bike) and expect to get another 10K out of them.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Currently my trike (2008 GL1800, 2013 Motortrike Razor) is in the shop for it's annual "spring tonic". I'm having all three tires replaced.
The rear tires being replaced are Firestone Firehawk 245/45 R17 and they are worn evenly down to the replacement marks but they only have 11214 miles of useage. I was expecting at least twice that. The rear tires that they replaced got just slightly less miles of useage. I check the PSI consistently and I use 24PSI in the rear. I consider myself and my riding style to be normal, not aggressive. I would say about a 3 on a scale of 1 to 5. We do ride two up probably 90% of the time. Mostly US/state/county roads, not a lot of high speed interstate travel.The wear pattern is even across the tread so my mechanic and I have pretty much ruled out alignment issues. Trailer towing for the past year was only about 150 miles, one time.
Anyone have any tips or clues that I might be missing?
Like others, I am puzzled by the mileage you are getting out of your rear tires. I too have the Razor kit and it came with the 245/45R17 tires (which I didn’t like and went back to 225/50R17 when they were replaced). Mine came with Fuzion tires which I had never heard of and were likely cheap tires but I got a little over 53,000 miles and would have gotten more had I not run too much air and wore the tread in the middle.
Your post made me feel that we are fairly similar as far as riding. The only big difference is that I couldn’t run 24psi without getting a really rough ride and wearing the tread in the center. I wore the tread in the center at 22 so I went back to 19, but since yours wore evenly I can‘t see that being the issue.
I don’t have any special brand of tire that I use, but I always get something with a tread warranty in the neighborhood of 50,000 miles so I don’t get one with really soft rubber. I can’t really see weight being an issue either since the tires on the rear of a trike only carry like a third of the weight they are designed to carry. I have known of people getting close to 100,000 miles but never as little as you get. A real puzzle to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts