GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can only slam a truck so hard before it breaks. I had the panel off and cleaned / lubed everything back there. When you release the locking mechanism you can hear the (something) drop. So it sounds like its working but, half the time when i go to close it, it won't latch. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The trunk lid is hard to close. Your first thought would be to slam it then slam it harder. Eventually you will break it. Use you hand to let it down gently without slamming it then with the palm of your hand (I form my hand into a fist and use my knuckles. It cuts down on the palm prints) push firmly down over the keylock while with the other hand pulling the passenger back rest toward the rear of the bike. You will hear a click.. like magic it's latched. NEVER slam the trunk or saddle bags. On the saddle bags similar process. Close them gently then put your hand over the forward latch and firmly push until you hear the click.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why is this so difficult, is there any adjustments that can be made?

·
Registered
645 Posts
why is this so difficult, is there any adjustments that can be made?
It really isn't difficult -- soon it'll become second nature. There is a very small amount of adjustment available in the two latch bars on the trunk -- loosen the screws and pull down (or try and enlarge the mounting holes a little bit) and then re-tighten.

If you look at the actual latching mechanism you'll see it's all done too pretty close tolerances. Make it too sloppy and the lid will bounce and rub and cause more aggrivation than having a bit snug -- still rubs, but can be controlled by Baby Buggy Bumpers, soft velcro strips, rubber tubing etc.

I listen for the 'click' that signifies it's locked and smile knowing all is right with the wing.

Cheers!

http://www.jimnlyn.com

·
Registered
637 Posts
I close the lid and pull back on the passenger backrest...works great. If you're having a lot of problems getting it to latch, I would start looking around the trunk seal area or the wire harness to make sure you're not pinching something.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
I close the lid and pull back on the passenger backrest...works great.
Yup! That's what I've been doing for a long time. Slamming is a baaad thing. gently let it down, then pull back on the backrest.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep, there's something sticking, sometimes all i gotta do is push it shut and it locks perfect, then out of no where it won't lock. its something mechanical inside the plastic.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Sounds like you already bent the catch by slamming the lid. You will need to straighten the latching bar and make sure it's not hanging up. After that just never slam it and you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I went through the same thing last week. I repaired mine by using the search on this site and found many cases exactly as mine and yours are. The repair involves removing the five screws in the trunk to the latch cover. When uncovered you will find a rod extending from one side to the other attached by a rivet on each end. This bar should move up and down freely. If it will not, take a screwdriver and pry the where the rivets are just enough to loosen them and free the bar. After doing this, I could then close the trunk easily by using the backrest as mentioned in other replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts