GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a couple of threads throughout the forum...

Just curious...

How many people ride with a breaker bar and rear tire lug socket on the bike...?

It did not dawn on me until I read the various threads...how would I remove a rear tire to take it in if I had a flat... :shrug:

Safe Rides

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
plug a flat $4.77 Walmart

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I keep a ratchet, socket, extention and a 12" piece of pipe tucked away in the tool bag. I also have a plug kit and compressor.

·
Registered
935 Posts
19MM deep well socket 18" 1/2 inch breaker bar. Carry both in the left saddlebag. Yes, I have used them on the road in 2009. Rear tire seperated just North of Norfolk, NE. Found a trike shop whose owner gave me a rear rim and tire(take off from a triked wing) at NO CHARGE. He let me pick through a pile of rear take off's 5 high to get the best tire and rim. Changed out the rear tire and rim in 10 minutes and we were back in business riding again. Laid the wing over on it's right side on a sloped incline.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I keep a ratchet, socket, extention and a 12" piece of pipe tucked away in the tool bag. I also have a plug kit and compressor.
Me to:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I carry a 1/2" ratchet with an extendable handle. It is no bigger than a 3/8 but the handle extends to almost double the size which breaks the lugs loose. I also carry a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer and use the ratchet on everything. Harbor Freight for around $8.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Not an issue for me. I use a run-flat-rear tire that I can ride almost normally with no air in it to the closest place to get it plugged and/or replaced.

BTW, if you haven't had the wheel nuts off in a long time, they will most certainly be harder to get loose.

Good post though. :yes1:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I do now,since I put on my CT hope I wont need it for a while. But did use it to get the lugs loose. Broke a 3/8 drive first time.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Just in case it does happen to you. Get off the main road. Do not try to fix a tire on a main road. If too heavy to push or tire is too low to run to a parking lot or get off the road.

Get away from the bike and call for help.

Idiots are crazy, they will run over you.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
:agree:to what Kit said.
A friend had a flat on his GL1500,and it was crazy til we found a side road to get off on.
People are not used to seeing a motorcycle on the side of the road much,and they sure do rubber-neck,and fixate on you.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Sawed off shotgun I always carry in the saddlebag will always double for a ratchet extension ... :thumbup:

... be sure to unload before slipping the barrel over the ratchet handle ... :22yikes:

:joke:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Same here plus I have my old 1/2in drive torque wrench in a saddlebag also!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
After my experience the other day, I will be making a trip to Harbor Freight for a new torque wrench. (lesson well-learned, there) I have a 1/2" drive breaker bar I can carry, but I'll need an extension tube as the end of the handle barely clears the outside of the tire. And a new 19mm, 6 point deep socket is on the shopping list. Payday can't come soon enough.

You know, I've been around awhile, been riding for39 years (which makes me a relative newcomer to the sport compared to some here), thought I knew a lot about motorcycling, but thanks to those on this board, I realize I didn't know as much as I thought. Never too old or too experienced to learn something new. Big thanks to the guys on this board for the good hints and tricks. There's a lot of BS on here, but I take it with a grain of salt and don't pay it much attention. Someone ought to put together a national rally for members of this board. Now that would be interesting.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
<...>It did not dawn on me until I read the various threads...how would I remove a rear tire to take it in if I had a flat... :shrug:
Ditto for those who pull trailers; most of the time, it'll be the same size, so same tool would be used for both.

:yes1:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Someone ought to put together a national rally for members of this board. Now that would be interesting.
Have you not heard of "Rockies Gold" :shrug: lol

My lug nut tool consists of a "plug kit & portable compressor".
Yes you can pick up a nail at any time.But checking your tires before/after each ride (especially on a trip).Will save you from breaking out a tool kit.

I've said this in the past and some didn't get it!:eek:4:

I let a few pounds or air out at a time to let my ass know what a low tire feels like at speed (speed don't matter),So I know when I have a tire that may have a puncture.I then air that tire back up and do the same for the other tire.

What I learned was-------

A Front tire low=a heavy steering feeling --I only had to let out 8 psi to know I didn't like it!
A Rear tire Low=feels like I crapped my pants-- I had to let out 10-15 psi to feel it.

A TPMS will help while in motion!
BUT it still does nothing for actual tire inspection before or after a days ride to tell you if you picked up something or if you have a tire that might be starting to delaminate or has a bubble in it.:shrug:

Remember--Defective tires won't show up on a TPMS screen.:eek:4:

I'm old school and don't trust any device that depends on a battery to warn me i'm about to be a pedestrian.
My luck the POS will neeed a fresh battery just as I pick up a nail out in the boon docks.:eek:4:

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
save some room tip...

on my long XC trips..
I have a long breaker bar and some other "emergency"
tools tie-wraped to the sub frame
(UNDER the saddlebag where it attaches..)
.. there is plenty of room under there and it saves saddlebag space...

I loosen and retorque the lug nuts at home before a trip
so I don't get surprised by the side of the road in the middle of nowhere
by a stuck lug nut.

Dennis

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
I carry a 1/2" ratchet with an extendable handle. It is no bigger than a 3/8 but the handle extends to almost double the size which breaks the lugs loose. I also carry a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer and use the ratchet on everything. Harbor Freight for around $8.
:agree: i am carrying what sounds like the exact same wrench from Harbor Freight, i have actually tested it by removing and reinstalling the wheels at home in the garage, worked great ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Me, too.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts