1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OKAY -
I admit this a question I should know ; or be able to find the answer easily --
But -- here I am

When I change the rear tire I take off the lugs nuts, change the wheel and replace the lug nuts.
Each lug nut hole seems to have a place for a washer of some type (which I do not have if I need to)
So my lug nuts are in the holes and tightened and the wheel seems fine - for the past 3 tire changes and 30,000 miles +
But --
Should there be more there ..?
Like a centering washer or something ..?

Sign me confused but not concerned - curious ...

·
IronMan
17,627 Posts
I HAVE A SET I'LL SELL !! SHOULD CHANGE OUT EVERYTIME YOU TAKE OFF WHEEL !! LIKE CRUSH WASHERS !! HAVE A JULY 4 TH SPECIAL GOING ON NOW ! SET OF (5) WITH "FREE" GALLON OF BLINKER FLUID FOR " ONLY " $ 19.99 INCLUDES FREIGHT . WHILE SUPPLY LASTS. GOING FAST. ! :laugh::laugh:>:)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I HAVE A SET I'LL SELL !! SHOULD CHANGE OUT EVERYTIME YOU TAKE OFF WHEEL !! LIKE CRUSH WASHERS !! HAVE A JULY 4 TH SPECIAL GOING ON NOW ! SET OF (5) WITH "FREE" GALLON OF BLINKER FLUID FOR " ONLY " $ 19.99 INCLUDES FREIGHT . WHILE SUPPLY LASTS. GOING FAST. ! :laugh::laugh:>:)

Sounds like a good deal to me -- thanks Uncle John

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
My friend sent his rear wheel from his 2008 off to be chromed. He reinstalled the wheel and rode the bike several years without any problem. Later, while I was helping him change a rear tire, we noticed the space or “play” around the lug nuts as you described. Comparing his wheel with a spare I had in the garage, we realized the steel inserts were missing from his wheel. He contacted the company that performed the chrome work and they denied any responsibility for the missing inserts. My friend got rid of the wheel because we were unable to find replacements for the inserts. Is your wheel chrome plated?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
My friend sent his rear wheel from his 2008 off to be chromed. He reinstalled the wheel and rode the bike several years without any problem. Later, while I was helping him change a rear tire, we noticed the space or “play” around the lug nuts as you described. Comparing his wheel with a spare I had in the garage, we realized the steel inserts were missing from his wheel. He contacted the company that performed the chrome work and they denied any responsibility for the missing inserts. My friend got rid of the wheel because we were unable to find replacements for the inserts. Is your wheel chrome plated?

They probably punched them out before chroming and then couldn't get them back in. Of course they would deny it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They probably punched them out before chroming and then couldn't get them back in. Of course they would deny it.
Not chrome plated --
BLACK - F6B wheels + (1) has been powder coated Black (I have 3 rear wheels right now)
And I have one of my Sons extra OEM wheels -- they all look the same to me ..? I guess it is just a recess where the lug nut mates up ..?
This is a picture of how they typically look

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just looked at one of my spare wheels (came from a 2012). It certainly has a steel insert in each lug hole location. This can be seen easiest if you look at the wheel from the back so you can see the knurling on the insert. I also grabbed a magnet and confirm that the only ferrous metal in the hub area is the insert.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts