GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a number of posts stating this road or that road is boring or that the poster rides only a few hundred miles a day or if the WX is hot they do not ride. I know, I know, to each his own but as I’m riding my ride those posts give my mind a place to explore and question the whys of what I do and enjoy. Why not find I-10 boring or why do I have so much trouble stopping after a few hundred miles? What is it that affirms life when I can over come adverse WX.

The boring road question is pretty easy. If you “see” in the Don Juan sense of the word “see” there are no boring roads because everything is changing and everything has a story. You just have to be open to seeing, smelling and hearing that story. As many times as I’ve ridden I-10 in both directions there is always a new wonder to see, this time it may be a rock formation I hadn’t notice before, or maybe a trail, or the changes in geographic clime. Any of those are reason enough for the mind to chase rabbits for hours. Long rides on open roads are wonderful for opening the mind to achieve a Zen state of mind. While I enjoy “motorcycle roads” I prefer those that allow my mind to explore.

Stopping after a few hundred miles, see above. I’ve spent most of my youth and all my adult life seeing what is over the horizon or around the next bend in the road. It is like a drug, once started it is hard to stop. My definition of hell would be an endless life of riding in the middle of a pack of motorcycles, puttering along on a snooze run, and stopping each day after 300 miles. I’d rather eat a pistol first.

WX is also easy. Traveling on a motorcycle returns us to our roots, we are no longer just passive observers of a passing landscape but active participants. We are not watching a movie but we are the movie, enjoying the heat and cold, the rain and wind and all the smells that come with passing over the land. It is life affirming to use knowledge and wits to make the journey comfortable.

There is no right way or reason to ride. What’s yours.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I10

I never get tired of it neither. I'm at our other home in Junction TX and really have enjoyed being here riding. Also from a previous Post I saw you mention Lums BBQ here Well I am having some ribs as I type so I will eat 3 or 4 for you!

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
I never get tired of it either. My wife gets all upset as the road is really "all" I like to see. I've seen New York City, seen Niagara Falls, seen almost every city and lots of tourist attractions all "from the road". Don't see a reason to actually stop to see anything. That doesn't agree with most so I'd rather ride alone for that reason. Riding is what I've done for 40yrs and I'm not stopping.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never get tired of it neither. I'm at our other home in Junction TX and really have enjoyed being here riding. Also from a previous Post I saw you mention Lums BBQ here Well I am having some ribs as I type so I will eat 3 or 4 for you!
Enjoy the ribs. My last ride through Junction the timing was off so I missed Lum's. Did get some ribs in Luling the next day, so life isn't all bad :).

I expect MsBubba and I will move back to Texas for final retirement, best guess 5 to 7 years from now. The Junction area will be one of the places I'm interested in, close enough for MsBubba to see the grandkids when she wishes but far enough away they aren't just dropped off on a whim.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Enjoy the ribs. My last ride through Junction the timing was off so I missed Lum's. Did get some ribs in Luling the next day, so life isn't all bad :).

I expect MsBubba and I will move back to Texas for final retirement, best guess 5 to 7 years from now. The Junction area will be one of the places I'm interested in, close enough for MsBubba to see the grandkids when she wishes but far enough away they aren't just dropped off on a whim.
If you do move here we have this place for sale. 6.22 acres and home and shop on the N Llano River just 3 miles from Junction.

·
Administrator
3,771 Posts
I never get tired of it either. My wife gets all upset as the road is really "all" I like to see. I've seen New York City, seen Niagara Falls, seen almost every city and lots of tourist attractions all "from the road". Don't see a reason to actually stop to see anything. That doesn't agree with most so I'd rather ride alone for that reason. Riding is what I've done for 40yrs and I'm not stopping.
Agreed. For me, it's about the ride, not the destination. I enjoy riding, and sight-seeing from the saddle. This drives my wife nuts. She is all about the destination, and the ride to the destination is just a necessary evil. She prefers to take a nap, whether in a car or on the Wing.

I'm also with Bubba in that I actually enjoy I-10, especially out west where they have all the huge windfarms, and endless miles of sagebrush. If luck holds, I'm headed out there this weekend on a BBG to Fort Hancock and back, and I'm really looking forward to it. Maybe the sagebrush will be changing colors from pale green to burnt-brown.:lol:

As for the BBQ, I was fortunate enough to find myself in Lockhart last Saturday where I had some good brisket, ribs, and sausage.:bow:

Glen

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to laugh...your wife sounds like MsBubba :).

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you do move here we have this place for sale. 6.22 acres and home and shop on the N Llano River just 3 miles from Junction.
For your sake I hope it is gone before we pull the trigger but it sounds like what we are looking for. What's the old joke, "Looking for wife, must have home and shop, send picture of shop".

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
If it has wheels, moves and I like it, I will ride/drive it simply because I was not meant to stay stationary.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I ride as much as possible, I put 128.000mi 0n my 07 GW in 4 1/2 yrs.
It helps me relax also, I just turn on the tunes and RIDE!
It always makes me feel better no matter what may be bugging me

·
Registered
608 Posts
I don't know that I've ever been on a road I didn't see something new. On my ride from south FL to central CA several years ago I was intrigued by the buttes along I 10 from west TX into AZ. If you squint just right and turn you head to the side, every one of those buttes had the silhouette of a face looking up at the never ending sky. One butte I was able to make out 7 different face, one with a really long nose as though he'd been telling tall tales to his neighbors.

A lot of people hate I 95, and while I don't like the traffic in the DC area, I always see something new. Might have to do with hitting different sections at night one trip and in daylight the next.

Son and I are going riding Father's Day morning, don't know where and don't care. It will be a short trip on roads we've traveled before but I'm sure I'll see something new. Then it is to his house where his wife, who cooks a mean standing rib roast and fixings is going to feed me. Only problem with that is my wife will be there too so I won't get to eat as much as I'd like.

Jeff in sunny, hot Naples, Florida soon to head home for an oil change and some other maintenance before Sunday.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
"The Teachings of Don Juan"
.. one of my very favs as a younger man.
:thumbup:

Your post is right on..
.. getting into that zen like free associative "zone" is part of
(most of?) what makes LD riding so enjoyable.
... never found a "bad" road yet ...

next time I pass through AZ
(I just came through Tucson last week)
perhaps we can ride a bit...

Dennis

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I have taken this to the extreme for some, but I ride everyday, the Wing is my only means of transportation so I have to ride if I want to get somewhere, riding back and forth to work,only 25 miles round trip would probably bore some people to death, but I find a slightly different route each day, always experience something new, taking the bike on a trip is more relaxing and fun than almost anything else I can think of, love the road ,love the bike, love the feeling..............................:agree::agree:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Check the Sig...

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
reason to ride

bubba1 is considering Junction, TX huh?!!

well i can recommend this location.
30.50608,-99.777725
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=ll

i "Spent" some quality time(4 hours minimum) just inside the overhead of that Fine Dining Establishment during the 2009 IBR one early August morning. i was able to stop at the fabulous Gas Station on the north side of the interchange. i was required to have a timed receipt for the area location.
now THAT time frame was a REAL reason to ride

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Why do I ride?

I have always loved road trips, be it in a car, a motorhome, even a bus (well, maybe not so much a bus). I just love getting out on the open road and seeing the varied beauty of this country. I just like to 'absorb' my surroundings, and being on a motorcyle is the best way to do that. There's little - virtually nothing - between you and what's out there.

I agree with many of you, there really aren't any bad or boring roads. Granted, some are more scenic, more varied, more challenging, etc. than others, but even the least of them offer something if you're open to it.

When I no longer feel safe on the bike, it will be replaced with a convertible of some sort - maybe a roadster, maybe something a little bigger, but it will be open to the world around me.

I'll close by sharing a bumber sticker I saw yesterday:

"All who wander aren't lost."

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I see a number of posts stating this road or that road is boring or that the poster rides only a few hundred miles a day or if the WX is hot they do not ride. I know, I know, to each his own but as I’m riding my ride those posts give my mind a place to explore and question the whys of what I do and enjoy. Why not find I-10 boring or why do I have so much trouble stopping after a few hundred miles? What is it that affirms life when I can over come adverse WX.

The boring road question is pretty easy. If you “see” in the Don Juan sense of the word “see” there are no boring roads because everything is changing and everything has a story. You just have to be open to seeing, smelling and hearing that story. As many times as I’ve ridden I-10 in both directions there is always a new wonder to see, this time it may be a rock formation I hadn’t notice before, or maybe a trail, or the changes in geographic clime. Any of those are reason enough for the mind to chase rabbits for hours. Long rides on open roads are wonderful for opening the mind to achieve a Zen state of mind. While I enjoy “motorcycle roads” I prefer those that allow my mind to explore.

Stopping after a few hundred miles, see above. I’ve spent most of my youth and all my adult life seeing what is over the horizon or around the next bend in the road. It is like a drug, once started it is hard to stop. My definition of hell would be an endless life of riding in the middle of a pack of motorcycles, puttering along on a snooze run, and stopping each day after 300 miles. I’d rather eat a pistol first.

WX is also easy. Traveling on a motorcycle returns us to our roots, we are no longer just passive observers of a passing landscape but active participants. We are not watching a movie but we are the movie, enjoying the heat and cold, the rain and wind and all the smells that come with passing over the land. It is life affirming to use knowledge and wits to make the journey comfortable.

There is no right way or reason to ride. What’s yours.
Nicely written, Ken.
A nice mix of Ken, Don Juan, Don Shimoda, and Jack Kerouac.

Living the dream!

"A cloud does not know why it moves in just such a direction and at such a speed, it feels an impulsion....this is the place to go now.
But the sky knows the reason and the patterns behind all clouds, and you will know, too, when you lift yourself high enough to see beyond horizons." ~ Don Shimoda

1 - 20 of 34 Posts