GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my wing and live in Cumming Georgia. Was wondering if anyone knew of any place around Atlanta for some simple stuff like clutch and brake fluid changes that does not rape one as do the dealers seem to love to do -Thanks

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Get videos from Fred H or Cruiseman and do that kind of stuff your self, no need to pay someone IMO

·
Registered
994 Posts
:agree: What he said...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:agree: What he said...
Good suggestion; have time to kill anyway-broken foot has me sidelined from riding for at least three more weeks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
last question

Do you use the one for mechanics or the 'easy for anybody one that comes up in every repair search and posts a teaser video?
Good suggestion; have time to kill anyway-broken foot has me sidelined from riding for at least three more weeks

·
Registered
830 Posts
Only video's I have are the one's from Fred Harmon. Very easy to follow his directions.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
repairs

Just got my wing and live in Cumming Georgia. Was wondering if anyone knew of any place around Atlanta for some simple stuff like clutch and brake fluid changes that does not rape one as do the dealers seem to love to do -Thanks

garyshobbyshop.com in McDonough, Ga

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Hello Steve,

Congrats on your new wing!

You're probably going to Lawrenceville Honda like most folks around the Northeast Atlanta area. They do good work and I know the people there, but like you said, they charge an arm-and-a-leg and sometimes they are in too much of a hurry to take proper care of your bike.

I've been wrenching on bikes for about 50 years now plus have an ME degree, so I'm pretty competent and I treat customer's bikes like they're my own.

I'm nearing retirement, so I recently built a workshop onto the back of my house and have started doing just the types of jobs you're asking about that you need done. Mostly for folks who just plain don't know how or don't want to wrench on their own bike. I have flat rates for some jobs and generally charge $60.00/hour for most other work. Plus I charge in 30 minute increments. If your job takes 25 minutes I don't charge you for an hour. I do most routine maintenance items, install add-ons and farkles, etc. About the deepest I get into the engine is valve adjustments. I don't mount tires or attempt to fix other people's wiring mistakes. Just too much potential for trouble.

I also teach people to do routine maintenance on their Gold Wings if they want to learn. If they don't just "want it done", but want to learn, I put the tools in their hands and lead them through the procedure. I charge a very small fee for that, basically a shop/tool rental fee of $20.00/hour.

I'm in Norcross which is about 25 minutes south of you on Highway 141. I'd be happy to help you with that kind of work on your bike if you want.

PM me and we can talk more details.

Here's a picture of my shop.

I've got a 1,500 lb. rated table lift and all the tools I need for most jobs.

That's a 1983 Suzuki GS650GL on the lift that I'm currently restoring. Hasn't been run since 1993! It runs now! 20 hours just to remove, rebuild, and reinstall the carbs! 30 years of dried up gas in them! But, hey, it's what I like doing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Gary's Hobby Shop

I had Gary's Hobbie Shop go over my 2003 Wing and it came back better than new. Google him, he is best guy in the deep South.

Ed
What edsetsdude said. :yes1:

Gary’s Hobby Shop
411 Crumbley Rd.
McDonough, GA 30252

770-914-0407

·
Registered
552 Posts
Will Gary's mount a CT without grieve or messing up the rim?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will Gary's mount a CT without grieve or messing up the rim?
I was told the top notch guy at Canton does for $60

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm in Gainesville and normally do all my own work. but in the case of the wing I've had Gainesville motor sports do the tires (last time a car tire, I bring in my own) $42. and a progressive fork job. lowest labor rate around and Billy the wing guy as been there forever and really cares about his work.
still independently owned by the second generation. check them out.
Lawrenceville sells a ton of wings (cheap) but they are higher on labor and move a lot of bikes in and out every morning and night so there is a chance of damage while in for repair.

·
Registered
61 Posts
How to contact you

Hello Bob, please email me your contact information to [email protected]. This is Yellow Bird.
Hope to hear from you

Hello Steve,

Congrats on your new wing!

You're probably going to Lawrenceville Honda like most folks around the Northeast Atlanta area. They do good work and I know the people there, but like you said, they charge an arm-and-a-leg and sometimes they are in too much of a hurry to take proper care of your bike.

I've been wrenching on bikes for about 50 years now plus have an ME degree, so I'm pretty competent and I treat customer's bikes like they're my own.

I'm nearing retirement, so I recently built a workshop onto the back of my house and have started doing just the types of jobs you're asking about that you need done. Mostly for folks who just plain don't know how or don't want to wrench on their own bike. I have flat rates for some jobs and generally charge $60.00/hour for most other work. Plus I charge in 30 minute increments. If your job takes 25 minutes I don't charge you for an hour. I do most routine maintenance items, install add-ons and farkles, etc. About the deepest I get into the engine is valve adjustments. I don't mount tires or attempt to fix other people's wiring mistakes. Just too much potential for trouble.

I also teach people to do routine maintenance on their Gold Wings if they want to learn. If they don't just "want it done", but want to learn, I put the tools in their hands and lead them through the procedure. I charge a very small fee for that, basically a shop/tool rental fee of $20.00/hour.

I'm in Norcross which is about 25 minutes south of you on Highway 141. I'd be happy to help you with that kind of work on your bike if you want.

PM me and we can talk more details.

Here's a picture of my shop.

I've got a 1,500 lb. rated table lift and all the tools I need for most jobs.

That's a 1983 Suzuki GS650GL on the lift that I'm currently restoring. Hasn't been run since 1993! It runs now! 20 hours just to remove, rebuild, and reinstall the carbs! 30 years of dried up gas in them! But, hey, it's what I like doing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts