GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago, got the full monty Traxxion treatment done to the 07 Orange Crate. Something that's still puzzling me though.... The fork caps now have a slotted adjustable rebound setting on them that can be changed with a regular screwdriver. Can someone who has these explain their function? And, how to set / change them. I understand that they were set "1-1/2 turns out", but that doesn't give me any reference to where they were in the first place. Do you turn these clockwise to increase rebound? Or maybe counterclockwise? I guess I need a baseline to start with here. Right now, as you sit on the bike and look at them, they are in the "10 o'clock" position. I know that sportbikes have these (and more) settings available to them, but this is the first Gold Wing I've ever seen with them. Traxxion installer said the same thing, mine is the first Gold Wing that he's installed these new fork caps on.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
The 1 1/2 turns out from all the way in is your baseline setting . The screws will move a total of three turns from fully seated .

When you turn the screws clockwise the slower the forks will extend(rebound) after being compressed . A basic guideline , the warmer it gets out the more rebound you will need , the colder it gets is the less you will need .

Without getting into suspension tuning have a look at this . Hope it helps you get started .

Lack of Rebound
Symptoms:
• Forks are plush, but increasing speed causes loss of control and traction
• The motorcycle wallows and tends to run wide exiting the turn causing fading traction and loss of control.
• When taking a corner at speed, you experience front-end chatter, loss of traction and control.
• Aggressive input at speed lessons control and chassis attitude suffers.
• Front end fails to recover after aggressive input over bumpy surfaces.
Solution: Insufficient rebound. Increase rebound "gradually" until control and traction are optimized and chatter is gone.
Too Much Rebound
Symptoms:
• Front end feels locked up resulting in harsh ride.
• Suspension tucks in and fails to return, giving a harsh ride. Typically after the first bump, the bike will skip over subsequent bumps and want to tuck the front.
• With acceleration, the front end will tank slap or shake violently due to lack of front wheel tire contact.
Solution: Too much rebound. Decrease rebound "gradually" until control and traction are optimized.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rebound caps

I had my 2005 ABS wing to Traxxion in Woodstock yesterday for the full monty. Strider's explanation is pretty much exactly what the technician told me. Unless it was over 95 degrees F or under 35 he said there was no need to adjustment. dmk

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
HI!!!....I have both the compression & rebound adjustment caps.. NOW I can REALLY SCREW things up!!!...LOL I have not played with them yet..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts