GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a ride on Saturday,I noticed a "clunk" in my front end when I rocked it on the centerstand.At the time I thought may be my steering stem bearings being loose,and decided to check the torque.
Since I was part way there,I decided to go ahead and rebuild the forks,including adding a set of Progressive springs.
Bike has around 38,000 miles without the forks being touched,but I installed All Balls bearing a while back

I have the forks all disassembled now.
One thing I noticed was that the oil in the left fork was black and stinky,just as Fred describes in his video.
But,the right side was blue green looking,like new gear oil.
The bushings on the left side were worn some to where there was some copper showing,but the right bushings looked like new.
The spacer on the right side had a little bit of pitting on it.Everything else looks good.
Although I have not put a torque wrench on it,I don't think the steering stem bearing is loose.At least I don't find any slop by trying move it by hand.

Could the fact that the oil is so clean be an indication that something was not working properly in the right fork? Why would the spacer have somecorrosion?
I did not think to measure the oil I got out of the forks.

I will replace all the bushings and seals,and I will replace the pitted spacer.I will check the torque as soon as I borrow the socket from Canman
Is there anything else I should be looking at?
I can't work on it today,so have all day to look at responses before I start putting it back together tomorrow
Is there anything else I should look for?

·
Registered
17,035 Posts
I think what you found in the forks is pretty much the way it is regarding fork oil conditions. The pitting of the spacer is nothing I notied on mine, but its just a spacer. The clunk sounds very suspiciousfor a loose steering stem bearing, any slack at all will let the bearings beat themselves to death against the races. Of course, there are other things that can go clunk when rocking of the center stand.

prs

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
When I did mine last year, the oil from the left side smelled like A$$ and was really filthy.
From all I have gathered, this is the norm to to the damper style fork.
I remember my ol 900 Kaw having the same symptoms

·
Vendor
22,090 Posts
The left fork leg is an old style damper rod (1950 technology) fork leg, and as such it will both wear the bushings more and dirty the fork oil at a faster rate.

The right leg uses a damper cartridge, and its normal for it to wear less and get the fork oil less dirty.

This is the only bike I know of that uses two different style forks. Its obviously done that way to accommodate the (problematic) anti-dive mechanism.

In my opinion, Honda either needs to find another way to make an anti-dive fork, or else get rid of the system altogether. The entire suspension system on the GL1800 is in dire need of a complete redesign. The spring rates they use are not suitable for a bike of it's size and weight and all the anti-dive is good for is making the ride rougher.

·
Registered
581 Posts
By the time you go to all the trouble to get to those bearings for adjustment, and also with the forks off, I would go ahead and do the All balls. They absolutely(in my opinion) are worth the effort. Check Directline's customer evaluations on the All balls; it's 100% the last time I checked.

When I did my forks, I also did the RaceTech emulators. I think the springs alone make a big difference, along with the rebuild. I have done the emulators twice and I think they are excellent for the money. Probably not as good as the full Traxxion setup, but a good bang for the buck.

Whoops, I just re-read the post and see you did the All Balls, so never mind on those!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Jeff,
Hang Loose ( Not Foot Loose ) I have the Stem Torque Tool if you want to borrow it rather then from Canman. I Think I might be Closer to you. I will send you a PM Pronto.
David ( HondaMortch )
PS
I Can run it up to you or meet you. It would give me a chance to talk with you and see what your dissecting

S

·
0 Posts
Hey Jeff ! Sounds like a typical stock GW suspension , just clean everything up , replace the bushings, seals , oil and reassemble .

Or you could make that Wing of yours into a real railing rocket and let me do a "T" suspension upgrade for ya ! ;)

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The left fork leg is an old style damper rod (1950 technology) fork leg, and as such it will both wear the bushings more and dirty the fork oil at a faster rate.

The right leg uses a damper cartridge, and its normal for it to wear less and get the fork oil less dirty.

This is the only bike I know of that uses two different style forks. Its obviously done that way to accommodate the (problematic) anti-dive mechanism.

In my opinion, Honda either needs to find another way to make an anti-dive fork, or else get rid of the system altogether. The entire suspension system on the GL1800 is in dire need of a complete redesign. The spring rates they use are not suitable for a bike of it's size and weight and all the anti-dive is good for is making the ride rougher.
The VTX also only uses one damper rod and there's a few more out there like that. I agree you you 100% that the factory should roll the Wing out with better suspension.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Hey Jeff ! Sounds like a typical stock GW suspension , just clean everything up , replace the bushings, seals , oil and reassemble .

Or you could make that Wing of yours into a real railing rocket and let me do a "T" suspension upgrade for ya ! ;)
Rich you leave Jeff alone.:joke: :wrong:

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeff,
Hang Loose ( Not Foot Loose ) I have the Stem Torque Tool if you want to borrow it rather then from Canman. I Think I might be Closer to you. I will send you a PM Pronto.
David ( HondaMortch )
PS
I Can run it up to you or meet you. It would give me a chance to talk with you and see what your dissecting
Not sure where you're at,but canman is here in Ferndale.You're welcome to stop by anyway if you want.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all the replies guys.:bow::bow::bow:

I have all the parts and will try to get it back together tomorrow.

S

·
0 Posts
:coffee1::chat:

Hey Jeff you know half the fun is the get together , the bikes just seem to keep coming and getting worked on all by themselves . Heck at Redeyes last round we had way to much spare time .;) Besides you know I will make you an deal you can't refuse $$$$

There may be another "T" party coming up this Spring Redeye , just kinda listening for any interest , I know a couple guys have been talking about it since last fall , so if you know anyone . Either at your place again or QD's , he's alway good for a laugh ,that way Jeff K may even make a personal appearance .

Rocky dang it , I think it is about time you made your way up here and joined in the armchair racing , you will never be the same ! :22yikes:

As far as that goes why don't you come and join us all for the annual 2.5 mile ride this year , but you gotta hurry pole positions are filling up fast , we would love to have ya !

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201496

1 - 20 of 24 Posts