GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
My alternator has been rebuilt twice over the last 100k miles. There is a spare on my shelf that I bought off a low mileage wreck ($70 eBay) when this one gives up the ghost. The spare rides in my trailer whenever we travel. By current rebuild job currently has about 40k miles on it so in about another 20-30k it will come off, the spare will go on and this one will get brushes and bearings again.

Works for me....

:thumbup:

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
Ok I don't want to spend 900+ dollars, anyone here use a rebuilt unit?
I had one with 175,000 miles rebuilt because it was sometimes making a squeaking noise at startup but otherwise working fine, cost about $70 to have new bearings and brushes installed, haven't used it yet because I installed a brand new 2010 alternator that I had been hauling around for a couple years.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,877 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
rebuilt?

Yes sir, I've had several alternators rebuilt over the years for my Wings. I just take them to the local alternator shop and he rebuilds them to the tune of about $75. to $100. And I too carry a spare rebuilt one when I travel. So I'd recommend supporting your local independent alternator shop, they need your business. :thumbup:

·
Registered
496 Posts
There is nothing wrong in a rebuilt alternator if it is done right, comes out just like new .

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Rebuild

My son BGBLK06 pulled both our alternators and had them cleaned, new brushes and new bearings installed. There were no signs of any problems, we are heading back to Alaska in June and it just gives me peace of mind. We also have a spare alternator in the trailer. Just in case. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
"Compu-Fire" brand new alternators are $499.

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
Ok I don't want to spend 900+ dollars, anyone here use a rebuilt unit?
Rebuilding and original OEM one is the next best thing to a new OEM one. If you google, there are probably alternator OH shops in your town. Bearings, brushes, and labor is less then $150.00.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
There is nothing wrong in a rebuilt alternator if it is done right, comes out just like new .
Plus on rebuilt alternator especially if u use honda new bearing and brushes

·
Registered
994 Posts
Plus on rebuilt alternator especially if u use honda new bearing and brushes
Honda doesn't make bearings or brushes either most likely.The local rebuilders usually install the best parts,because they are usually a small business and have to stand behind their work if they want to be there next month.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts