GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
I had the mechanic I use, for the stuff I don't want to mess with, rebuild the front master cylinder on my '07 Air Bag model.
I get on the highway, and start the 30 some mile ride home, and set the cruise control. About halfway home, a car slowed down, and I touched the brakes, and after the car turned, I pushed the Resume.
My cruise didn't resume. I am able to set the cruise, but the resume does not work.
I really don't feel like taking the bike back to him, just yet.
I'm hoping someone here would have a good idea where to look before taking the bike back to him.
Thanks, in advance, for your help and suggestions.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Likely a bit more play in your front brake lever, and not returning wide open fully, which will trip the cruise cancel switch on the lever....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cruise doesn't trip.
It will hold when I press the set, but the resume is what's not working.
I was hoping that maybe there was a wire that hadn't been reconnected.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Sorry, misunderstood....no idea on your symptoms....

·
Registered
821 Posts
Front brake lever bushing worn or micro switch actuated by lever sticking or bad. Cheap and easy to replace switch. I believe the brass bushing is 5/16" ID x 7?16" OD x 1/2" long.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The cruise doesn't trip.
It will hold when I press the set, but the resume is what's not working.
I was hoping that maybe there was a wire that hadn't been reconnected.

Since you can set the cruise, but can't resume it, I don't think any of the safety interlocks (clutch switch, hand brake switch, foot brake switch, etc.) are the problem.

I suspect it's dirty contacts in the resume switch itself. Try working the switch a few dozen times (a few hundred?) just sitting in your garage. This may clean up the contacts enough that it will work again.

Or, you can try spraying some (plastic safe) contact cleaner around (inside?) the switch while you're exercising it. (Although that may not work very well without partially dismantling the switch cluster.)

·
Vendor
17,808 Posts
I doubt it has anything to do with the rebuild of the m/c. I'd try working the resume switch about a hundred times. On 5th gens, switches that are not used a lot can do that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts