GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a northern Minneapolis suburb. Received the brake recall notice. Any advice on a reliable dealer in the area?

·
Registered
964 Posts
I just picked mine up from Larson's in Cambridge this morning, they typically do good work.

I had some work done at Moon in Monticello last fall. The service work was fine, but they scratched up the trim on the back of my trunk. The service manager said they didn't do it, must have been that way. He got under my skin, then said he would have the trim repainted if I brought the bike back over the winter, but they didn't damage it. I bought a used trim piece from a board member and fixed myself, I haven't been back to Moon's.

I would try to get it done before the spring rush, Larson's said they were expecting long waits once the weather get better.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Thought about Larson's, just haven't heard anything good or bad about their service work. All I have to do now is locate a trailer to get it there before spring.

I've always had work done at Cycle Tek in Fridley. A small 2 person shop that works mostly on Goldwings. Then it has been mostly maintenance work other than a worn out rear shock, the bike has been perfect.

Graybeard
Anoka, MN
2002 Silver Goldwing
1982 Eagle Trailer

·
Registered
964 Posts
I do most of my own maintenance, but I've had a couple thing done Cycle-Tec. I often have my tires mounted on the rims there. Good folks.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Any suggestions in St. Paul for the recall?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If they were closer to me I would go to Century Power Sports in Stillwater. Heard good things about them.

Graybeard
Anoka, MN
2002 Silver Goldwing
1982 Eagle Trailer

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I called Jim (service mgr) Hitching Post, South St. Paul at 10:00am. He said we have the kits, bring it in we'll do it today. The Wing was still on the trailer from my trip to AZ so I dropped it off at 11:00 am. Bo the tech got on it and it was done at 3:30. They did a full brake system & clutch bleed for $100. Bo fixed an anti freeze hose leak that I noticed this morning hooking it up. The brake lever has firmed right up. I'd recommend them!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sorry, a little leery about having Hitching Post touch my bike. BAD experiences when they had a shop in Fridley. First they installed a rear tire on the front of my bike (no the tread pattern was not reversed). Bike handled like crap. When they replaced the front tire with a proper front tire, they installed a brake pad BACKWARDS - yes BACKWARDS. Took me a few days of riding to decide something was wrong with the brakes. By then the rotor was shot. They agreed to replace the rotor. I insisted on doing it myself. (Supposedly you can run a rear tire on the front safely if you align the tire direction arrow backwards)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just had my gl1800 serviced by Moon Motors. I had the bike stored at the Osseo Honda dealer. Moon picked the bike up in Osseo and delivered it, when finished, to my home in North Minneapolis. You might want to call to see if they still have free pick up and delivery.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I haven't even recieved a notice yet. I'll just keep reading where you folks are having good luck and wait for the letter.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Just had the brake recall done at Cycle City in Rochester MN. The 30 mile ride home did not show any any problems - for example, cruise control worked ok . However, since the procedure calls for the front wheel to be removed, I won't be comfortable until I inspect all the stuff they touched. The service manager / adviser person told me that they have done a lot of these recalls and that there have been no problems.

This is not meant to be an endorsement of this dealer - just merely passing along my experience.

Ron

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I'm with ya on rechecking everything Ron, it would/will make me nervous to have anyone work on my bike when I get the notice and have to bring it in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts