GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2002 gl1800 in early September. I have put about 600 miles on it and am wondering if the dealer recomended service for 600 miles is necessary? I have read reveiws that said because of the engine design it didn't need one at 600 miles. Is this accurate? Also I see all the post about frame welds and ECM's are there any repairs for 02's I should be looking into?

Thanks'
Paul

:?: :?: :D :?: :?:

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
plynch said:
I bought a 2002 gl1800 in early September. I have put about 600 miles on it and am wondering if the dealer recomended service for 600 miles is necessary? I have read reveiws that said because of the engine design it didn't need one at 600 miles. Is this accurate? Also I see all the post about frame welds and ECM's are there any repairs for 02's I should be looking into?

Thanks'
Paul
:?: :?: :D :?: :?:
According to your owner's manual the first scheduled service is at 4000 miles. I, like others, changed the oil myself at 2000 miles (personal preference) and also switched to Mobil 1 at that time (another personal preference).

600 miles is an out-of-date recommendation and doesn't apply to the Gold Wing. (IMHO)

Also, what is your VIN number?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I will second what Bob said and add one more thing, change out the oil in the final drive while you are at it. The final drive uses Gear Oil, most use something like 75w-90 viscosity, Mobil 1 makes a synthetic 75w-90 gear oil, you can find it at most auto parts stores.

·
Registered
837 Posts
plynch said:
I bought a 2002 gl1800 in early September. I see all the post about frame welds and ECM's are there any repairs for 02's I should be looking into?
Honda is changing the ECM's on all 1800's prior to the '04 model. There is a recall on the frames of some '02's & '03's. Your dealer can tell you if your bike falls in the recall range, and you should get a recall letter from Honda.

'02 ABS models: VIN: 1HFSC474*2A102394 Thru Vin: 1HFSC474*2A102823

Non ABS models: Vin: 1HFSC470*2A111803 Thru Vin: 1HFSC470*2A113582

·
Registered
380 Posts
I changed my oil at 1500 miles along with the final drive oil. 3000 miles after that. I don't like the 4000 miles for the first change or the 8000 mile interval after that.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well I'll be the dissenting voice here. It couldn't possibly hurt to change the oil at 600-1000 miles. What else does the dealer do at this service. Do they go over the bike and re-check all the fasteners? It sounds from your post like the Wing was a new '02 that you bought in '03. It doesn't hurt one to sit in a crate for a while, I bought a new in the box '95 in late '96, but it wouldn't hurt to have it checked out now that it has a few miles. What does the dealer charge for this service? I paid $42 for an oil change and check up on my '04 at 1000 miles. As far as the ECM and frame recall, didn't your dealer tell you about that when you bought the bike?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Thanks for the responses! And keep em coming if anyone has any other maintenance tips I should know. I do plan to change the oil myself and had thoughts of doing it earlier then scheduled, but not this early. I checked the VIN my bike is before that range. What is the ECM and would the dealer have replaced it before the sale in mid 03 and just not mention it. I bought from a dealer that was just under new ownership for about 30 days or so and I guess they hadn't trained the new salesman to inform me of the recalls, and in my fog of getting my first wing didn't think to ask if there were problems with my investment.

Again thanks guys,
Paul :yw1:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi, I just spent over $16K on a new Goldwing. I have some questions:

- What's the absolute cheapest oil I can possibly use? Can you still buy recycled engine oil? My dad ran that stuff in his '49 Nash and it worked great. And is there really any reason to change oil every 4000 miles? Every 4000 miles . . . hey, that's two or three times a year, which adds up to serious money. Can I let it slide to 8000 miles? For that matter, is there really any reason to change oil ever?

- Will the engine run on kerosene or diesel? That 87-octane is pretty pricey!

- Is there some way I can fit $25 second-hand bias-ply automobile tires to the rims? I can't believe you guys pay over $200 for a pair of motorcycle tires! I mean, what, are you made of money? Gimme a break! Besides, I think whitewalls would look great on this bike, even if they were only on one side.

- The dealer wanted me to pay extra for ABS. Right . . . I asked him to remove the front brakes and shave a thou off the price, but he wouldn't do it, the chiseler. Like I'm gonna use front brakes anyway! Whaddya think, I'm stupid? Touch those things, man, there ya go - right over the handlebars!

- Then he tries to get another grand out of me for a CD player! You gotta be kidding me! I have a perfectly good Muntz hi-fi in a nice blond wood cabinet. Has anyone tried sawing off the trunk and mounting one of these babies on back? Will it run on 12V DC?

- I won't even mention the gouge they get on the CB radio. Hah! Here's a tip for all you Wingers - cruise the garage sales! That's right. All kinds of good motorcycle accessories there. I found a used battery-operated megaphone for $10 and talked the lady down to $5, and now I can talk to everyone on the road - just crank up the volume!

Thanks in advance for all your help!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I didn't have the 600 mile service done on mine. I had asked the service folks if it would affect my warranty, since it was a suggestion, and not mentioned in the owners manual. They said no. I said, "Good, because I will be somewhere in West Texas or Eastern New Mexico when I hit 600 miles".
I had a great trip and had just over 4000 miles on the bike when I returned 12 days later.
Today, after two and a half sets of tires, an ECM swap, several oil changes, and a new set of brakes, I have 29,000 on my baby.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts