GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... WOW! These are built for combat! I have the bars assembled and ready for the bike, but its getting late and cold in the garage right now. Maybe tomorrow. The flat black finish will look great on the White Knight.

Reactions: Max McAllister

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking forward to it, Fred. BTW, check your email please.

prs

lean, I will see if I can post a before, during and after pic. The bike is dusty and has never even had the seat off, its probably an eye sore under there. Fred will certainly do a great job of showing the process bow to stern.

prs

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to be so long, I had left my phone (camera) in one of those places where I can always find it. It was almost lost forever.

This was a piece of cake install AFTER watching Max and Fred handle the seat. Never the less, my seat fit VERY tight between the OE grab handle bosses and also the bosses on Max's creations. Plus, my accessories installer/dealership techs must have had trouble with that too (this may have been their first new model bike) as the right side saddle screw was cross threaded and pretty well stuck about 3/4 of the way in when I tried to remove it. I did get it out and the hex screw was still perfect, but the frame threads rough. I ran a lubricated RETHREADING tap (important, NEVER run a cutting tap into old threads) and the frame threads cleaned right up. I used Max's elbow grease trick to seat the seat rearward to align the holes, but I had to get after it like Andre the Giant.

I now hope to show the before, during, and after pics; plus one with the Rooster himself. I am NOT a photographer!

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, rats! I ended up with three before and only Rooster on the pillion roost. Maybe try again later.

prs

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those are pricey?
Yes, they are. That is the way it is when you make a product for a very limited market, a market that demands top quality or at least a producer that demands the product to be premium quality. So far, no one else has addressed this need/want and no one else may unless the original sells way more volume than I would predict. If this product does sell like hot cakes, the original will be severely undercut by third world kopy kats and thus the original's volume will be even further limited or eliminated. So, to recover start-up, over head, and any possibility of an attractive level of profit; the unit cost is very high. And breaking even is still a gamble. That's the way I see it; could be wrong.

prs

·
Vendor
2,349 Posts
Yes, they are. That is the way it is when you make a product for a very limited market, a market that demands top quality or at least a producer that demands the product to be premium quality. So far, no one else has addressed this need/want and no one else may unless the original sells way more volume than I would predict. If this product does sell like hot cakes, the original will be severely undercut by third world kopy kats and thus the original's volume will be even further limited or eliminated. So, to recover start-up, over head, and any possibility of an attractive level of profit; the unit cost is very high. And breaking even is still a gamble. That's the way I see it; could be wrong.

prs
This brings a tear to my eye... so few people have even the most basic understanding of this. They just look at them and think of the last Chinese cast metal thing they bought at Harbor Freight for $49.95 and wonder why these are so "expensive".

I think this is actually a good topic for a video! Thanks for posting the photos! Try putting your bike on the centerstand and report back! I think you will like that.

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have not center standed it yet and I have not laid it over on its side yet, thus not lifted it back up yet. I never did lay it over with the OE grab rails and for sure it will be easier to grasp to butt walk it back up with your handles. Every rider should be able to upright their bike just in case...

prs

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
This brings a tear to my eye... so few people have even the most basic understanding of this. They just look at them and think of the last Chinese cast metal thing they bought at Harbor Freight for $49.95 and wonder why these are so "expensive".

I think this is actually a good topic for a video! Thanks for posting the photos! Try putting your bike on the centerstand and report back! I think you will like that.
nahhh i wouldnt even bother. youll never justify it to the haters or those looking for cheap alternatives. a Richard Mille watch costs well over $100,000 and there are waiting lines. theyre not making videos justifying their prices. they do make videos showing the meticulous attention to detail, how they fabricate every little piece specifically for that watch and the high quality of the components they use. that should be enough. your products stand on their own merit.

·
Vendor
2,349 Posts
:crying::crying:
nahhh i wouldnt even bother. youll never justify it to the haters or those looking for cheap alternatives. a Richard Mille watch costs well over $100,000 and there are waiting lines. theyre not making videos justifying their prices. they do make videos showing the meticulous attention to detail, how they fabricate every little piece specifically for that watch and the high quality of the components they use. that should be enough. your products stand on their own merit.
I appreciate this. Thank you!

·
Vendor
2,349 Posts
Thank you, I really appreciate this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts