GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend told me about an old motorcycle that an aquaitance wanted to get rid of. The bike turned out to be a Honda CB500T, 1975 that had not been driven since 1981. We pulled the bike off the junk pile, hauled it home and started in CLEANING n POLISHING. The bike had only 3500 miles on it and it cleaned up real nice. There was some repairing and ended up getting part off Ebay, some from New York, Ottowa canada, Suffolk England, Des Moines Iowa plus a couple other places. I just finished the project Sunday and took a couple pic;s to share. Take a look.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ ... 0_0170.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ ... 0_0174.jpg

·
Registered
255 Posts
Really nice bike, takes me back :D

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
SWEET!!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
VERY NICE :wink: :wink:
GREAT FIND, I'm looking also, sooner or later I'll find something :wink:
hows it run?
my friend picked up a 400 A Hondamatic for $250.00 needs some work, but it's all there..

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Great Job. How many times during the project, did you ask yourself "What in the heck have i gotten into".

Each winter, I purchase a few bikes to fix up and resell in the Spring. I can't keep any of them as the garage is only so small...LOL

Good on ya!

bulldog

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Nice! Hey, do you guys remember that '78 GL1000 I used to ride at the chapter meetings, DQ, and supper rides in Fargo? I recently sold it this summer to a guy (MarkJ on here actually) down in Iowa. Unfortunately, he uncovered some engine issues that I was not aware of. If I only had the money I would have kept the bike and fixed her up myself, but it became too much of a hassle to tow all over the place as we keep moving...now we are out in Wyoming! Of course I have my new bike but still...nice to have an old one to ride around and show off.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
That is very awesome...are those the original mufflers ? I don't recall them having that shape,,,..Here is a picture of my 1975 Honda XL 250 Enduro,,all original including the tires and the air in the tires !! It only has 2,922 miles on it...The only damage to it are 2 small dents in he gas tank, because someone knocked it over.....and it wasn't me....

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Nice job! I love all the late 60's early 70's Hondas.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CB500T

Answers to questions.

The bike, engine runs like a top, (so far). Any engine this old having sat that long concerns me because of possible corrosion.

Yes Ziggy I remember your old bike, it was a good runner.

Mufflers are original but are used replacement. New Mufflers are nearly impossible to find and EXPENSIVE.

Bulldog, no i did not ask myself why did I get into this, I was having so much fun working on it. I was concerned about the engine and how and if it would run long term.

Thanks for all your compliments.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Nice job. She looks great!

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Rackets wrote:
I was concerned about the engine and how and if it would run long term.
I would highly recomend changing the oil after every ride for a few rides. Those old twins have a very small hole in the cam bearing housing that oils the cam bearings. It takes almost nothing for them to stop up. They will destroy the cam bearings without you realizing it's happening. Also listen closely for ratteling or ticking noises coming from the cam dhain. The cam chain tensioner rollers are made out of some kind of hard plastic type stuff that deterioates with non use. I have seen a few of them fly apart on old engines that haven't been run in years when put back into service. Both are relatively minor problems if caught in time.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CBC

Galute
Thanks for the heads up on the cam bearing and chain, will listen.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It's a beaut! (But, if it were mine, I'd lose the sissy bar right quick!)
Great job on the restore.
Takes me back a decade or two...

W

·
0 Posts
Not knowing much about the earier bikes, they sure look easy to work on.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
BASSNMAN said:
VERY NICE :wink: :wink:
GREAT FIND, I'm looking also, sooner or later I'll find something :wink:
hows it run?
my friend picked up a 400 A Hondamatic for $250.00 needs some work, but it's all there..
Pat,

I have a MINT 1985 Magna V65 with 89,000 miles on it. I had the whole engine and transmission overhauled at 71,000 miles ($5,000.00 and documentation). The bike has no rust and kept in shed under cover. (Sta-bil in full tank and fresh Amsoil Oil) If you're interested, the bike is for sale (actually everything is for sale, if the right price is offered!). I will not sell for book value, it being in MINT condition and soon to be an antique. I've seen what they pay for antique motorcycles at Barret-Jackson auction. If you'd like, I could send you some recent photos. My dealer collects bikes, but won't give more than book value (his loss).

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Mike (in New Jersey)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts