GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a set of tires for a 1800 that is low cost and will wear good,, im not a extremely aggressive driver on my wing but i don’t want to be hung out there if i have to get down there in a turn,,,

Best Price...?
Exact tire brand and model...?
Fastest supplier for Pitt Pa Area,,,??

Thank You for the advice...in advance :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Im looking for a set of tires for a 1800 that is low cost and will wear good,, im not a extremely aggressive driver on my wing but i don’t want to be hung out there if i have to get down there in a turn,,,

Best Price...?
Exact tire brand and model...?
Fastest supplier for Pitt Pa Area,,,??

Thank You for the advice...in advance :)

Chat vmax..there is no such animal as a set of long wearing low cost tire for the GL1800

Asking what brand of tire that most use is a loaded question as well..

Anyone who tells you that one tire is better over another is just BS'ng you..
No one knows exactly how you ride..

They can only tell you how a brand worked out for them,But the question is "Will it work the same for you?" not exactly..

If you are new to Goldwings,then you are in the same boat as everyone before you.
Each of us has had to shop around for price.
Our board sponsor had sales at 10% off quite often,and will price match any other price you find as well!

As for brand.Please do a search for tire threads and you'll get the idea as to what brand seems to be the most popular..

Understand that no tire will make everyone happy,just those that are using them currently.

Every tire works good for the first 3-4,000 miles then you learn what it feels like for the rest of it's tread life..

Then you'll decide if you want to switch brands to see what else is out there.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Yup,

I want the best.

I don't want to pay much for them.

And I want them yesterday.

Seems like a snipe hunt!

Bulldog

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Yup,

I want the best.

I don't want to pay much for them.

And I want them yesterday.

Seems like a snipe hunt!

Bulldog
winner winner winner
I think you got em Bulldog:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Anyone who tells you that one tire is better over another is just BS'ng you..
Wow, so that is what well over 150,000 miles on 1800 along with well over a dozen sets of various tires and experience is called....... BS'ng.

Son of a gun. :roll:

DaleC

P.S. I'll tell you what is B.S.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
You may also want to read some posts on the Darkside forum of this board. While not blessed by some, including board sponsors, you should get more mileage out of a car tire (CT), based on what I have read.

I would probably be running one today, but until I can actually try one in the curves I am little reluctant. Anyway, just a thought. Research it for yourself, as only you can decide. Good Luck.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Im looking for a set of tires for a 1800 that is low cost and will wear good,, im not a extremely aggressive driver on my wing but i don’t want to be hung out there if i have to get down there in a turn...
Gee, you seem to be like 85% of the other riders out there on this board; looking for Nirvana for free! :shock:

You've been given some good advice thus far, but a couple of things you need to consider in your search, though, some of the technical discussion areas will really help out...
Ratio of freeway vs twisty mountain roads you've ridden thus far
Weather conditions you are comfortable riding in e.g. are you comfortable riding in wet road situations, or would you like to have the tire help increase your comfort level
Annual mileage
What type of mileage are you getting with what you have on the bike right now

Coming from a V65 Magna, where getting 5k on a rear tire was doing pretty good, I'm okay with a tire that gets 10k to 12k before getting replaced. Check Hal's price lists in the store...$350 or so for a set isn't bad, really. Just wait until you have to go to a dealer... :shock:

I think there's about five or six tire brands made for the GL; I've still yet to try all of them.

Sorry we can't be of more help; this one you'll do on your own as we all do.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Spend the money. Get good tires. Your life may depend on them. This is not a time to be cheap. Just my opinion.
Kurt:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Spend the money. Get good tires. Your life may depend on them. This is not a time to be cheap. Just my opinion.

:agree:I'll have to go along with this one. Tires are NOT the palce to skimp. Stones work well for me, exedra 709, 704 or 702. 702 is a 70 series and there are some who say they don't last long. I am running them now, have 5K on them and still look new. I could get 20K on E3's on my TD. They were bias tires and it was a lighter bike. The Wing runs radials and that is a whole different critter.
What ever you get, take care of them religiosly and they will take care of you and last their best. From the milage I've seen here most seem to get 12K to 15K as a high end but I'm sure that varies a lot.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I would make sure to buy a good quality set of tires your life's ridin' on them...
That being said seems like the boards choice is the Bridgestones...The wing had the Dunlops E3 when I purchased the bike,they seemed to wear the longest...I had a front E3 that went through the Rocky Mountains,AR. Ozark Mountains twice,Smokey Mountains,and all around here in MO. in the Ozarks lasted for 14,000 miles...I tried a Bridgestone rear tire and was only able to get 6000 miles???...I am trying the Avon Cobras currently with only about a 1000 miles on them,so it's way early to say anything about wear and life span???

·
Registered
19,069 Posts
Metzlers work best for me
Stones cost less and work fine

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
My Last rear tire went over 20k and still had life left in it.
Front tires don't seem to last as long for me.
Traction has gone from spinning from a light in the rain , to Not being able to spin it it or slide it in any situation.
Last tire was about 160 bucks if I remember and the one I have now was about the same.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
The way you ride will have the biggest impact on your tire's life. Surface texture of the roads you travel comes in second. It boils down to being able to have your cake and eat it too. Sadly this is not going to happen. The two most important tire characteristics are inversely proportional:

Max wear = Min grip
Max grip = Min wear

They all cost too damn much.:shrug:

Its much like picking out your favorite color.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
The way you ride will have the biggest impact on your tire's life. Surface texture of the roads you travel comes in second. It boils down to being able to have your cake and eat it too. Sadly this is not going to happen. The two most important tire characteristics are inversely proportional:

Max wear = Min grip
Max grip = Min wear

They all cost too damn much.:shrug:

Its much like picking out your favorite color.
:agree:
Don't be disappointed in hearing that someone else gets 20k and you only get 10.. It's REALLY dependant on the road surfaces you ride more than anything else.. In Bulldog's area it's rare to see 10k out of a tire but 100 miles southwest in my area I frequently got 12-14k..

Keep in mind also that SOME people don't consider a tire ready to replace until threads are showing... Most will replace them when they get close to the wear bars.. All subjective...

·
Registered
791 Posts
I'd vote for Dunlop E-3s as the best bang for the buck. Not the stickiest but good for twice the mileage as the Stones and 1 1/2 times the Metzelers. I see they are touting a new rear tire. Not sure if that means its quieter than the older one or what. I quit using them because of the noise but if you are not a peg scraper they work OK. Not the best if you are super aggressive, though.

Pete

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
I'm happy when I can get 6-7k out of my tires.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Tires and oil, 2 questions that can go on for ever. As said before, the best way is from your own trials, see what works best for you, or ask friends that ride Gold Wings. I run Dunlop E 3's but a lot of people hate them, You can get about 20,000 from a set and they handle great. Other love the Avon's but they have trouble with splitting. There is a new tire out Shinko 747 and a couple of riders that have tried them really like them. A lot of people are switching to the Bridgestone, 709 front 704 rear. Regardless which brand you choose the front size is 130/70R18 and rear is 180/60R16

·
Registered
2,136 Posts

Yup, the man speaks the truth.

I'm not overly impressed with the stock 250 tires, I'd suggest E3 or bridgstone 709(?)s

The cheapest tires I'm aware of are the Shinko's You can find them most places. Wingstuff has them I think.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts