GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a set of boots would like to get anybodys opinion on what boots they would recommend. I have owned Alpinestars, Tecknic, Triumph Brand boots, and various others.

I am looking for something that is waterproof, comfortable, has good grip on wet pavement, and gives adequate ankle protection. Price is really not important. I am also shopping for the wife. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Josh, for the last couple of months I have been trying different styles/designs of the Cruiserworks boots. They seem to be of high quality and fit well, but I am still awaiting a final pair of the "Tour" boot (not the "Tour Classic). The Tour is the one without the buckles and it is a slip on Wellington style boot.

The company recently changed hands so it has been a little slow going. Many on here have complimented previous versions of boots by Cruiserworks.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I am looking to purchase a set of boots would like to get anybodys opinion on what boots they would recommend. I have owned Alpinestars, Tecknic, Triumph Brand boots, and various others.

I am looking for something that is waterproof, comfortable, has good grip on wet pavement, and gives adequate ankle protection. Price is really not important. I am also shopping for the wife. Thanks in advance.
You will get a ton of suggestions, kinda like asking about oil or tires. You will hear from folks wearing everything from Red Wing work boots to HD branded boots. Be smart get boots designed for motorcycles, it sounds like that is what you are looking for, if you are, Sidi On Road is one of the best. They are waterproof with good protection, they come high up the shin and are very comfortable in all extremes, both cold and hot. Z thinks his are too hot in the summer and changes to a different Sidi summer boot, I have not found that to be true :). The On Road is one of the few boots that will keep your feet from burning in direct Arizona sun. They are a very good boot, if they fit you can't go wrong with 'em.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Josh, for the last couple of months I have been trying different styles/designs of the Cruiserworks boots. They seem to be of high quality and fit well, but I am still awaiting a final pair of the "Tour" boot (not the "Tour Classic). The Tour is the one without the buckles and it is a slip on Wellington style boot.

The company recently changed hands so it has been a little slow going. Many on here have complimented previous versions of boots by Cruiserworks.

Take a look at post #11 in this link http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294271

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the reply, I will look into them right now.

Magnum Elite Force 8.0 Waterproof, lightweight, breathable, very well made, very comfortable. This is my 3rd pair in 7 years.

www.magnumboots.com/us/boots/tactical-elite/139/elite-force-80-wpi/
Thanks for the reply, Though I didn't mention it I was trying to stay away from lace up boots.

You will get a ton of suggestions, kinda like asking about oil or tires. You will hear from folks wearing everything from Red Wing work boots to HD branded boots. Be smart get boots designed for motorcycles, it sounds like that is what you are looking for, if you are, Sidi On Road is one of the best. They are waterproof with good protection, they come high up the shin and are very comfortable in all extremes, both cold and hot. Z thinks his are too hot in the summer and changes to a different Sidi summer boot, I have not found that to be true :). The On Road is one of the few boots that will keep your feet from burning in direct Arizona sun. They are a very good boot, if they fit you can't go wrong with 'em.

Thanks for the reply, and yeah I wouldn't consider anything other than MC boots to wear. I have mostly worn sport boots that gives alot of protection (comes from my sportbike days) but I am willing to Sacrifice some of that protection for comfort now along with some type of waterproofing. Tired of my feet being wet in the rain.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Wife and I both have Cruiserworks...comfortable, completly waterproof..great boots in our experience

Used them in hot and cold weather and in torrential rains....no problems whatsoever

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Aerosticth Combat Lites!:thumbup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the BMW All Round. Purchased when I had a BMW RT. Great boots with real Goretex liner. The Sidi on Road is also very good. Get a little hot in summer due to height. The newer version has Goretex liner. Be aware that any boot that is made of synthetic material and not full grain leather will not breath and be much hotter. Have a pair of Sidi's I no longer wear due to this. Think the website refers to material as Lorcin - beware.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Thanks for the link. I read #11. Except for the original problem I had with a faulty (out of the box) pair, they have been waterproof. Not sure if the new company has fixed older issues or not as it is my first pair. As mentioned above, however, I am still awaiting a pair with a redesigned toe box.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Yep...that's them. I was just going to post a link, you beat me to it :).

I've ridden across AZ and NM with the temps never above the high teens in them and while I can't say my feet were warm they were not uncomfortable. At the other extreme I've ridden the Southwest deserts with temps as high as 118 and my feet stay comfortable and do not burn in the sun like they will with some boots. They are the only boot I wear.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aerosticth Combat Lites!:thumbup:

I have looked at them along with the combat touring. The combat touring was listed as made by Sidi so I'm wondering if the Combat Lites are made by them as well.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the BMW All Round. Purchased when I had a BMW RT. Great boots with real Goretex liner. The Sidi on Road is also very good. Get a little hot in summer due to height. The newer version has Goretex liner. Be aware that any boot that is made of synthetic material and not full grain leather will not breath and be much hotter. Have a pair of Sidi's I no longer wear due to this. Think the website refers to material as Lorcin - beware.

Are these the boots you have

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/product_info.php/bmw-allround-boot-gift-ideas-72607689-121-132-p-270

·
Registered
169 Posts
SIDI boots are made well and very durable, bit pricy, but gwpf

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
There are a lot of great waterproof and weatherproof boots out there. One thing to remember if you have a rather large foot, the big bulbous toe section on some of the military type boots makes it really difficult to shift gears on the Goldwing unless you have a heel & toe shifter. I forgot this on my last boot purchase and could not use the military type boot (Size 12) that I purchased. For all round seasons I like a Gore Tex boot for breathability in the summer but waterproofing for the rain. My favorite pair of riding boots, I actually bought 1/2 price at a BMW store that was going out of business. BMW Gore-Tex Boots. They are listed in this comparison of boots and they do keep your feet dry and are easy to walk in as well (another important factor for me). The comparison is very useful as far as these boots are concerned.
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/waterproof_motorcycle_boot_comparison/index.html

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are a lot of great waterproof and weatherproof boots out there. One thing to remember if you have a rather large foot, the big bulbous toe section on some of the military type boots makes it really difficult to shift gears on the Goldwing unless you have a heel & toe shifter. I forgot this on my last boot purchase and could not use the military type boot (Size 12) that I purchased. For all round seasons I like a Gore Tex boot for breathability in the summer but waterproofing for the rain. My favorite pair of riding boots, I actually bought 1/2 price at a BMW store that was going out of business. BMW Gore-Tex Boots. They are listed in this comparison of boots and they do keep your feet dry and are easy to walk in as well (another important factor for me). The comparison is very useful as far as these boots are concerned.
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/waterproof_motorcycle_boot_comparison/index.html

That link is very helpful, thanks.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
I have looked at them along with the combat touring. The combat touring was listed as made by Sidi so I'm wondering if the Combat Lites are made by them as well.

Yes, the Combat lites are made by Sidi. Excellent boots, to say the least. They do take a while to break in, get used to the quirky lacing and buckle system, etc.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Yep...that's them. I was just going to post a link, you beat me to it :).

I've ridden across AZ and NM with the temps never above the high teens in them and while I can't say my feet were warm they were not uncomfortable. At the other extreme I've ridden the Southwest deserts with temps as high as 118 and my feet stay comfortable and do not burn in the sun like they will with some boots. They are the only boot I wear.
i honestly believe if u ever tried a pair of air boots your idea of comfortable boots would change, u just don't know what your missing
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294259

1 - 20 of 44 Posts