GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I traded in my 2016 Goldwing for a 2021 Can Am Spyder. The Goldwing was just getting to be too much for me at then 78, but I was far from ready to give up riding. And my wife rides as passenger much of the time so I wasn't going to get a small, lightweight two wheeler instead of the Wing. In truth I love the Spyder and the stability and comfort that it offers, and while I thought it would really bother me, it hasn't bothered me much to give up the leaning in curves.

I also have a 150cc scooter in the garage that I thought would satisfy my need for a 2 wheeler when the urge struck, but I am finding that the scooter just doesn't really satisfy me, despite it being a fun little thing to ride. So I'm thinking of getting another bike, in addition to the Spyder, that would be just for me (no passenger) that would be lightweight but capable of comfortably riding on any roads, including the Interstate highways. Almost any motorcycle would seem lightweight when compared to the 900+ pounds of the Goldwing, and I don't think a 450 or 500 pound bike would be a problem as long as it wasn't one with a high seat height (I'm afraid I have gone down from 5'8" to 5'7" as I have aged).

What bikes (new) do you think I should consider when I go shopping in the Spring, assuming I am still on the green side of the grass as I turn 80?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I bought a 2018 Triumph Bonneville. It's beautiful and around 530 lbs. The only thing I do not like is the chain drive. The stock mufflers make chain adjustment a pain in the arse.

Rayjoe
I love Triumphs! On my 3rd; 2012 Street Triple 675R which is a fixer-upper. Prior to that, had a '92 Trident 900, and a '02 Daytona 955i.

Anyway, back on topic, staying with Honda, you could hardly go wrong with either a CB500F or a CB650R....

·
Registered
2022 DCT Non-Touring
222 Posts
An inexpensive yet fun solution might be a new bike from Royal Enfield. I have ridden the Continental GT (650 twin), Interceptor (650 twin), and the Classic 350 (350 single). They are all fun to ride, but for a fun putt with reasonable oomph I would go for the Classic. Around $5K new. Best of luck.

Reactions: Walrus

·
Registered
206 Posts
Honda CB500X…has a fair amount of aftermarket farkles to customize.

A lot of Youtube videos out there to see if it would fit your needs.

Reactions: Roamer

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I’m shopping for a 2nd bike. I’ll keep my ‘19 DCT Tour for long range touring duty.

The second bike would be for day trips or “overnighters.”

My priorities are lighter weight, shorter range touring capabilities, and low maintenance, and long term reliability (even though I don’t keep most bikes for more than 4 or 5 years.)

Here’s MY short list. NOT ALL BIKES MEET MY SPECIFIED PRIORITIES LIST. LOL.

Tim

BMW R1250R/1250 RS
BMW R Nine T, various models

Ducati 800 Scrambler

Honda NC750X, available with DCT
Honda XL750 Transalp, new for 2023, currently ‘top of list’

Kawasaki Z900RS/Z650RS, if you love ‘70s-era retro style

Moto Guzzi V7/V85TT, if you trust Italian reliability and have a Guzzi dealer nearby

Suzuki V-Strom 650 (or 1050 if I cut down the saddle)
Suzuki V-Strom 800DE, new for 2023, currently ‘top of list’

Triumph, any retro bike
Triumph Tiger 850 Sport (lacks cruise control)
Triumph Tiger 900/900 GT

·
Registered
658 Posts
I suggest you use this an opportunity to ‘scratch an itch’. Somewhere back in your riding days you fell in love with a particular bike or style of bike but for various reasons you didn’t get it. Now you have the time, the money, the permission?, the opportunity just go get it.
For me it was a Harley cruiser, liked many of them over the past 20-30 years but never did it, and I don’t want to be fiddling and fixing an old classic so I went out and bought this.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Fuel tank

After riding it for a year, along with my Goldwing and Yamaha super Tenere, it fills a gap I didn’t know I had.
Go for it!

·
Registered
Future Goldwing owner - current sport bike owner looking to sell
117 Posts
I recently had a BMW R1200RT. The newer 1250 versions are used by a lot of police departments as you know.
I loved that bike. It's similar to a Goldwing but much lighter and more maneuverable.

If that's still too big for you then consider one of the 500cc bikes to get around on. It's going to be your personal toy so get what you want.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
+1 on the Honda 750 👍

Reactions: Tigerkf

·
Registered
1,223 Posts

I am such a Honda fan (lawnmower, VT1100, GL1000, GL1800, Accord CRV) I gotta stick with them.
Seat height 25.9 compared to GL 29.3 so 3.4 inches lower means you can flat foot.
Weight 560 compared to 804
56 MPG compared to 42

As far as longevity and reliability I have a 1995 VT1100 and a 1999 VT750 that have never needed any shop time and DIY is much, much, much easier than my nightmare GL1800.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I thought I would never buy a scooter. Well, I did and love it. It's a Suzuki 650 Burgman. It will keep up with Goldwings and there is a lot of storage under the seat and in the front cubbies. You can get a full face helmet, a jacket and a bunch of other stuff in there at the same time. If a 650 is too large, they also made a 400. Did I say I love it? Take a look at one, if you can find one as the don't make them anymore, and you may be surprised. They changed them in 2013 and made it through 2018. Get the newer one.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I'm enjoying my older (2007) 650 V-Strom. Takes me all the places where I don't/can't take the Wing. Lots of local gravel/forestry/logging roads. They are very capable street bikes when set up as such. Low maintenance and very reliable. Inexpensive to buy and operate. I find it very unintimidating and a real blast to explore with.
Seems to get along well with it's bigger stable mate, too.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
2,181 Posts
If you're cool with scooters, I'd recommend a Piaggio MP3 500. I had an earlier version, and it was a hoot! Plenty of power (about 45 HP from a single cylinder), that same easy use - CVT, just twist and go. It leans REALLY well - but when you come to a stop (below 2 MPH) you can lock the front suspension so it will not tip over on you. Automatically unlocks once you're moving (above about 2 MPH).

Tons of storage stock, too - underseat swallows a lot! Add a top case, you have a really good option that is definitely capable of going on freeways, as well as ratting around town.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Last year I traded in my 2016 Goldwing for a 2021 Can Am Spyder. The Goldwing was just getting to be too much for me at then 78, but I was far from ready to give up riding. And my wife rides as passenger much of the time so I wasn't going to get a small, lightweight two wheeler instead of the Wing. In truth I love the Spyder and the stability and comfort that it offers, and while I thought it would really bother me, it hasn't bothered me much to give up the leaning in curves.

I also have a 150cc scooter in the garage that I thought would satisfy my need for a 2 wheeler when the urge struck, but I am finding that the scooter just doesn't really satisfy me, despite it being a fun little thing to ride. So I'm thinking of getting another bike, in addition to the Spyder, that would be just for me (no passenger) that would be lightweight but capable of comfortably riding on any roads, including the Interstate highways. Almost any motorcycle would seem lightweight when compared to the 900+ pounds of the Goldwing, and I don't think a 450 or 500 pound bike would be a problem as long as it wasn't one with a high seat height (I'm afraid I have gone down from 5'8" to 5'7" as I have aged).

What bikes (new) do you think I should consider when I go shopping in the Spring, assuming I am still on the green side of the grass as I turn 80?
The 18/23 goldwings are very light to ride and handle compared to the 17 on down, give it a test drive you will be surprized.

·
Registered
2014 HD FLHTK Ultra Limited, 2003 Honda ST1300A
62 Posts
Honda Rebel 1100 DCT Touring. Under 600 lbs, DCT for guys like me with arthritic hands, low center of gravity, tools along anywhere easily.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts