GL1800Riders Forums banner

Recommendations For A Table Lift

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Scott1 
#1 ·
I'm wanting to purchase a motorcycle table lift to work on my bikes and would like some input from those who have one.

1. Must be able to lift 1500 lbs.
2. Must be at least 48" wide to work on trikes.
3. Would like to spend less than $1000 if possible.
4. No Harbor Freight lifts or floor jacks!

So far I have found www.pacetools.com (VML-1500) and www.completehydraulic.com (TCMLW). Handy lifts www.handyindustries.com/ are to expensive.

Can anyone help me out?

#2 ·
My Goldwing trike weighs-in @ 1200 lbs. empty. That's why I am looking for one that lifts 1500 lbs.

#3 ·
I have had a Complete Hydraulic lift for over a year now, after it replaced another brand I did not feel comfortably supported the weight of a G'wing.

As the names says, it is a "complete hydraulic lift". It came with the outriggers, rear tire drop-out, front tire clamp, removable extension for bikes longer than a Goldwing and even a frame jack (see pictures).

I am unfamiliar with the other brands you mention but here are a few thoughts on this unit.

The outriggers or attached in the front using a pipe that passes through from one outrigger, through the main lift body and out the other outrigger. The back is done using two shorted pipes that truncate inside the main lift table, unable to pass through due to the tire drop. These pipes are held by a pinch bolt which I don't feel provides a great deal of strength.

If the lift is raised to the very highest notch of the safety bar, it sometimes seems stressed raising the required height to real ease the safety. It always raises to a sufficient height but I ave heard of at least one owner saying he has to rock his gently to release the safety from that position.

After a period of time, I found I did not need or use the front tire scissor. I removed it and added a cross bar to the tire stop. I find this makes it easier for front wheel removal. When the bike is raised for repair work, two conventional safety stands, like those placed under the frame of a car, work great when placed under each of the rear crash guards. Traditional safety tie-downs are not required, in my opinion. I put a safety strap on the center stand to prevent it from accidentally collapsing.

Generally I am very pleased with this lift, though I use it for a standard 2-wheeled 'wing, not a trike. If faced with the need to purchase a new lift, I would go with this one again.

#4 ·
I have the Handy Industries B.O.B. I got it at a motorcycle show with the front vise, scissors jack, front extension, foot control pedal and the full length sides for around $1,200. I pick it up from the dealer, saved around $700 in shipping. Thats was a couple years ago. I have used it for both of my trikes. I wanted the best there was at the time. I have used it on other bikes and like the ease of use.:yes1:

#5 ·
Did you see the Trike Lift from Pace? VTL1300

I like that it is a cut away top so you don't have to reach when working on the engine of front end. I also like the basic design and air operated hydraulics. Have a friend who has a straight air lift and it can give you a nasty surprise if you aren't real careful.

Over the $1000 mark but I would suggest that after you have gotten your use out of it then resale would be very good.

The other thing you may want to look at is a midrise automotive lift
They sometimes come up on the used market, usually 5000 lb capacity but that would allow for other vehicle servicing as well.

#6 ·
Thanks Dennis, I saw the trike lift from Pace Tools. That limits the use not to be able to use it for lawn tractors and quads. Would be great just for the trike though. The midrise lift is not long enough and has no center plate.

So far I like the Pace Tools VLM-1500 lift.

#9 ·

Derick Weaver TX-1500 looks just like the one from Pace Tools VLM-1500. Pace Tools is $146 cheaper. Both don't include shipping.
http://www.derekweaver.com/update/TX-1500_Motorcycle_Lifts_Product.aspx?id=115------ http://www.pacetools.com/Products/VML-1500

Derick Weaver W-1500 has more features, longer table, table lifts higher and free shipping for $1125.00 Not sure if ramp will be in the way?
http://www.derekweaver.com/update/W-1500_Motorcycle_Lifts_Product.aspx?id=288

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.