GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in time for the 2014 riding season, my Alternator Drive Gear has decided to come apart. It has the dreaded "death rattle" sound when shutting it off. (2003 GL1800, 65k miles)

I am reluctant to ride it for fear of stray metal shavings circulating through my oil system.

Does anybody on the Ohio board have recommendations for a competent dealer in the Dayton/Southwest Ohio area that can do the job right? I have had some amount of bad luck with dealers in this area in the past, so I am hoping to find some first hand information from others who may have had this work done.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
It might be a bit far for you but Honda of Rarden has an excellent mechanic, not sure if he done the ADG repair, ask for Chad.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Just in time for the 2014 riding season, my Alternator Drive Gear has decided to come apart. It has the dreaded "death rattle" sound when shutting it off. (2003 GL1800, 65k miles)

I am reluctant to ride it for fear of stray metal shavings circulating through my oil system.

Does anybody on the Ohio board have recommendations for a competent dealer in the Dayton/Southwest Ohio area that can do the job right? I have had some amount of bad luck with dealers in this area in the past, so I am hoping to find some first hand information from others who may have had this work done.
My heart goes out to you . My05 had the same issue . I traded it off as my tranny was also jumping out of gear. Entire motor has to be dropped and rear case has to be split . Involves a few specialty tools also . Good luck with repairs and hopefully all ends well .

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,944 Posts
I am really sorry to hear this. I too would recommend Honda of Rarden. A couple of years ago I found a crack in my frame.
Chad at Honda of Rarden is picky about detail. He took everything off my old frame and put it on my new frame courtesy of Honda. Everyone said I would have problems but I did not. He did an excellent job and I had no problems.

I hope you get it fix and are able to come on some of our rides. Or come to some RTEs this summer.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Appreciate the good wishes and the recommendation. Sounds like you are lucky to have Honda of Rarden nearby. I looked it up to see where it is located. Route 73 has always been one of my favorite rides from this area to Portsmouth.

It may be worth the distance to trailer it over there for a top mechanic to work on it. I'll definitely consider that.

Thanks again.

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,944 Posts
Thanks guys. Appreciate the good wishes and the recommendation. Sounds like you are lucky to have Honda of Rarden nearby. I looked it up to see where it is located. Route 73 has always been one of my favorite rides from this area to Portsmouth.

It may be worth the distance to trailer it over there for a top mechanic to work on it. I'll definitely consider that.

Thanks again.
If you do decide to take it to Rarden. I would call and talk to them in advance as this is a small Honda dealer. I'm sure you would have called first but I wanted to tell you this. On a big job like this he may ask if he could stretch it over two or three weeks so he can keep up with there other smaller repairs.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Hey - I have not been here lately due to health reasons BUT - I have an answer for you... T2 Cycle Center

In SW Ohio

Check out
http://www.t2cyclecenter.com/

Todd Thomsen has done a lot of things for me... he is a great wrench in fact he is the BEST in the SOUTH WEST!

Phone 513-341-8977

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey - I have not been here lately due to health reasons BUT - I have an answer for you... T2 Cycle Center

In SW Ohio

Check out
http://www.t2cyclecenter.com/

Todd Thomsen has done a lot of things for me... he is a great wrench in fact he is the BEST in the SOUTH WEST!

Phone 513-341-8977

Thanks for the recommendation, this is the kind of information that I was looking for! - Kirk

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation, this is the kind of information that I was looking for! - Kirk
Give him a call after 5 PM - that is when he starts to work... I think! I think rduley may have had work done by Todd. :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts